Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:38 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,528,890 times

Advertisements

Being a Mom of past teens and a present teen although a son, I'm not sure what I think of this show. It seems to cover sex really well but I'm not sure what else. Anyone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,346,006 times
OK - I am watching this now. Here are my first impressions. Bad acting, stereotypical characters with some decent points thrown in. This could have been good. Unfortunately it seems like they took a great idea and Family Channeled it down. I would have liked to see the writers/producers of Friday Night Lights take this on.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM

I watched it as well but I'm a little taken back as the characters remind me of college students. Not to say that High school kids don't have sex but . I was surprised to see Molly Ringwald

Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM

I was suprised to see MR also. I hadn't heard anything about this show but I knew exactly who she was the moment I saw her. I wish the characters had seemed deeper. And the dad (MR's husband - soon to be ex). So bad. Does anyone really behave like this? I know that this was on the FC but they just could have done a better job. There were some good parts, it just got overshadowed by the bad IMO.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM

The Dad on the show was on One Life to Live he played Ben. I was also surprised to see John S.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM

John S.?

Oh, I just looked it up John Schneider. How did I miss him? I did miss the first 10 min or so...

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-05-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,316,824 times
I think the writing is awful and the show itself is unrealistic. I don’t know where this kids supposedly live but they sure have a lot of freedom at 15. I caught the wedding episode last night and I was wondering where all these parents thought their children were going in the middle of the night dressed like they were going to the prom. For whoever said these kids act like they’re in college, to me it seems like they act more like they’re in grade school. By the time I was 15, no one talked about sex that much. You might hear rumors every once in awhile about people doing it but we certainly didn’t gather in clumps in the hallways and whisper about it. All the characters are just stereotypes and over exaggerated stereotypes at that and the storyline switches so much that it doesn’t really allow them any character development.

So Amy is married Ben but pregnant from Ricky – who is sleeping with Adrian but wants to sleep with Grace, who is totally clueless and a nervous wreck since breaking up with Jack – her Christian boyfriend – because he allowed Adrian to give him a blow job. But now Jack seems to be moving toward Alice, who just had sex with Henry (her boyfriend since 3rd grade) after they broke up and Henry looks to be considering dating Amy’s 13 year old sister. Oh and Amy’s dad used to be married to Grace’s mom but is now sleeping with Adrian’s mom.

And now that everybody is sleeping with everybody else, it’s starting to come off as the PG version of Melrose place. I think this started out as a great idea but bad writing killed it.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 AM

I wondered the same thing! Not to mention that how many 15 year olds go on dates to weddings? And wouldn't a parent have asked whose wedding etc. I see that it is the same folks who brought us 7th Heaven. While I could appreciate the earlier years of that show, when my kids were little, it got more and more bizarre as it went on. This is a show idea that could have really been meaningful. Too bad.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM

821 posts, read 2,031,636 times
When the show first started it was kind of OK but its just beyond silly - How many 15 year old are allowed to get married.... My mother would have asked me going to a wedding - Whose? then she would call the other couple's parents... its just crazy I think the idea of a teenage girl being pregant and going through the trials and tribulation would have been good... but now its laughable and to think that there is some teenage girl wanting to be like Amy or even worse Adrian... its just bad I wouldn't let my kids watch it thats for sure.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,316,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
When the show first started it was kind of OK but its just beyond silly - How many 15 year old are allowed to get married.... My mother would have asked me going to a wedding - Whose? then she would call the other couple's parents... its just crazy I think the idea of a teenage girl being pregant and going through the trials and tribulation would have been good... but now its laughable and to think that there is some teenage girl wanting to be like Amy or even worse Adrian... its just bad I wouldn't let my kids watch it thats for sure.
Well the wedding is supposed to be this secret – none of the parents know. But I think if I was in my room putting on a formal dress, makeup and heels – my mom would have asked questions. I just can’t stand the shallowness of it all – I saw the one episode where Lauren and Madison were fighting over Ricky. Now it’s been 10 years since I was 15, but I don’t think me and my girlfriend would have been fighting over a guy who has my best friend pregnant, especially if we know he has no intention on being with her or taking care of the baby. What disturbed me was the fact that these girls concocted a scheme for her to sleep with Ben and pass the baby off as is because he’s more likely to marry her. At 15? Who thinks of things like that at 15? I’m surprised this is on the family show because it doesn’t seem very family orientated; the only decent thing was when MR was telling her daughter that should she keep the baby she was going to be responsible for raising it. Just when I thought they were going to make a comeback and actually go the more serious route, the dad bursts in and the storyline then shifts to their marital and financial problems. I think the writers have ADD or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV