Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Digital television converter box coupons, TV converter program out of cash, TV converter program waitlist, converters cost approximately $50

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,481,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
How many months have people KNOWN about this change?

The ads even tell people that there are a "limited number" of coupons available ... to apply before they're all gone.

I have no sympathy for the people who waited until practically 30 days before the change takes place.
I totally agree with you! People could have got their coupons right away and bought their boxes and had it hooked up later so don't use the excuse about the coupon expiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I was at Target today getting a humidifier and the lady in front of me was buying 4 boxes w/ her coupons (which look like credit cards) and I just remembered about this and was going to sign up tonight. then I read about the wait list. no big biggie for me, I don't own a TV, and when I do eventually get around to buying one, it will be a digital flat screen. plus, my new roommate wants cable, so I guess I can wait a while. I just figure it would nice to have in case one of my relatives need one (they're very behind on the times; my dad still uses a TV from like the 80's or early 90's w/ the turn knob!). sucks that the coupon doesn't cover the full cost of the converter though, I thought they'd be free (granted, it's a small amount more, but it's the principle of the matter)
You will NOT need a converter Box if you buy a new TV. Plus one only needs it IF; they are pulling in the signal from an antena. All Cable and Satalite companies convert the signal for you.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
How many months have people KNOWN about this change?

The ads even tell people that there are a "limited number" of coupons available ... to apply before they're all gone.

I have no sympathy for the people who waited until practically 30 days before the change takes place.
No one that watches TV could possibly not know. For the past YEAR they have been scrolling the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I totally agree with you! People could have got their coupons right away and bought their boxes and had it hooked up later so don't use the excuse about the coupon expiring.
Only someone procrastinating could have been caught off gaurd. I never do that, (Procrastinate) I just wait until the last possible moment.

Anyhow... Most folks do have cable or satalite service these days. I'll bet many people have bought them for no reason at all.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson
Some people I know waited because of the expiration dates on the coupons. Around Christmas time is not a good thing on fixed income folks that have been saving all year to buy gifts for their loved ones. Then throw in a government forced issue on top of their monthly living expenses????

I waited because I will get rid of my satellite service once Feb comes and my contract expires. It is ridiculous paying $60 per month for junk then after 11pm mostly paid programming. Use to be 24 hours of shows on our satellite channels not anymore.
Quote:
You can afford satellite service on fixed income ??? How much does that set you back every month?

I know how you feel about being forced to do something but in reality, it's a good thing. You know, this is one of those infrastructure kinds of things that we're going to be looking at. There's going to be all kinds of inconveniences as these things get updated...

So, your satellite service expiration is in February. You should have applied for the coupons in December. Then, you would need to use them before they expire in 90 days. That works with your February cancellation date. You would get the coupon in December. Then, lets see,... December, January, February = 90 days.

Sorry,... if you didn't get coupons you need to blame yourself. It's not like they didn't make every effort to be sure that people were aware of the upcoming deadline! There's been whole programs running on how to ugrade, PBS has had shows running that even help you test your system, there have been banners going across the screen during programs, there's been commercials... it's been on the news.

I personally procrastinated for quite a while because I didn't want to deal with it and because I didn't totally understand what it entailed.... and, like you, because I felt I was being forced to do something that I didn't want to do. Once I made the upgrade, I found out that it was a good thing.

I don't buy the excuse that people weren't aware of it.
I am sorry my post was not more clear the first paragraph was talking about folks on fixed incomes. I stated I pay $60 per month for basic DirectTV programming in the second paragraph. Also I did apply the first part of Dec for my coupon (have my confirmation #) and I pay my bills first thing because I don't live above my means. But don't we all live on fixed incomes if we maintain a budget?

I am not saying I feel sorry for anybody not getting one either if I don't get one fine no biggie for us. I could live without TV all together but my family would have a tougher time. Yes you are correct it has been well advertised.

I have a question for you though from your above post if you don't mind. Are you saying folks on fixed incomes shouldn't have cable or satellite service?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
You will NOT need a converter Box if you buy a new TV. Plus one only needs it IF; they are pulling in the signal from an antena. All Cable and Satalite companies convert the signal for you.
true, but I'm still unsure if I want to pay $$$ for a new TV when I can get a cheap set from SA for $50 and just use a converter (even if I end up buying the converter, which I likely may end up doing so, it'll still be cheaper than either buying an expensive DTV or subscribing to cable)

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I am sorry my post was not more clear the first paragraph was talking about folks on fixed incomes. I stated I pay $60 per month for basic DirectTV programming in the second paragraph. Also I did apply the first part of Dec for my coupon (have my confirmation #) and I pay my bills first thing because I don't live above my means. But don't we all live on fixed incomes if we maintain a budget?

I am not saying I feel sorry for anybody not getting one either if I don't get one fine no biggie for us. I could live without TV all together but my family would have a tougher time. Yes you are correct it has been well advertised.

I have a question for you though from your above post if you don't mind. Are you saying folks on fixed incomes shouldn't have cable or satellite service?
No. That's not what I'm saying.

If people on fixed incomes choose to spend their money of satellite service, it's not my problem.

Like everything else in life, you choose how you spend your money ... regardless of where it comes from.

But, when you have months and months and you know that you have the opportunity to claim two $40 coupons, (and, you're aware that there will be consequences if you don't do something) - that Christmas is no excuse. By doing nothing, you've chosen the consequence.

There are always some people who think the rules don't apply to them. They always wait until it's too late and then they blame the system.

In this case, it's simply ridiculous to blame the government when there's been every effort to inform people.

that's all I'm saying....

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
true, but I'm still unsure if I want to pay $$$ for a new TV when I can get a cheap set from SA for $50 and just use a converter (even if I end up buying the converter, which I likely may end up doing so, it'll still be cheaper than either buying an expensive DTV or subscribing to cable)

I believe you are one of the Lucky ones. Chicago has plenty of TV Signals to pull in. If I hooked up an antena to my set, I'd be lucky to pull in about two channels, slightly. In rural areas, such as mine, there are just no cities sending out a TV broadcast, therefore we must have Cable or Satalite service. No Cable, no LOST. I could live without cable but not LOST.

Ye olde catch 22 here, I also want High Speed Internet, well actually need it - so the Cable Lines are going to be here anyways. May as well have Cable service to go with it. Cable/Internet/Phone bundles are becoming very comon. However if I lived somewhere that I could actually pick up a signal, I may just try to do so instead of paying for Cable and all those channels I have no interest in at all.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Quote:
No. That's not what I'm saying.
If people on fixed incomes choose to spend their money of satellite service, it's not my problem.

Like everything else in life, you choose how you spend your money ... regardless of where it comes from.

But, when you have months and months and you know that you have the opportunity to claim two $40 coupons, (and, you're aware that there will be consequences if you don't do something) - that Christmas is no excuse. By doing nothing, you've chosen the consequence.

There are always some people who think the rules don't apply to them. They always wait until it's too late and then they blame the system.

In this case, it's simply ridiculous to blame the government when there's been every effort to inform people.

that's all I'm saying....
I see thank you for the explanation and I agree some people do wait too long on things.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I believe you are one of the Lucky ones. Chicago has plenty of TV Signals to pull in. If I hooked up an antena to my set, I'd be lucky to pull in about two channels, slightly. In rural areas, such as mine, there are just no cities sending out a TV broadcast, therefore we must have Cable or Satalite service. No Cable, no LOST. I could live without cable but not LOST.

Ye olde catch 22 here, I also want High Speed Internet, well actually need it - so the Cable Lines are going to be here anyways. May as well have Cable service to go with it. Cable/Internet/Phone bundles are becoming very comon. However if I lived somewhere that I could actually pick up a signal, I may just try to do so instead of paying for Cable and all those channels I have no interest in at all.
one must make heavy sacrifices for LOST . thank god for my laptop's TV tuner card, otherwise I'd crack and head out to buy a TV right now so I could watch LOST
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV