Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
mmm, deep fried bacon balls and butter soup! I have to look up that one!

I am in the Rachel Ray fan camp myself. I think a lot of these chefs have amped up their personality too much. Flay is the only one who seems kind of understated. Thank goodness that the whole BAM! era is over though.
I had to rep fuzzymystic on the bacon balls and butter soup! Too funny but so close to true with Paula Deen. Glad BAM! period has passed too I was so sick of hearing that a long time ago in all parts of life around these parts.

I don't think most of the Food Network "stars" don't claim to be chefs they claim to be cooks. Emeril, Bobby, oh what's his name with the pony tail and clogs that cooks Italian, are chefs. I am sure there are others my brain is not letting me recall right now but most of them are cooks. But Bobby is the only chef out of the 3 I mentioned still with Food Network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I don't think most of the Food Network "stars" don't claim to be chefs they claim to be cooks. Emeril, Bobby, oh what's his name with the pony tail and clogs that cooks Italian, are chefs. I am sure there are others my brain is not letting me recall right now but most of them are cooks. But Bobby is the only chef out of the 3 I mentioned still with Food Network.
You're right, I incorrectly used the term chef. I have used the fact the RR is not a chef nor has ever claimed to be in previous discussion about loving or hating her.

I will tell you I think is an arrogant chef is that Anthony Bourdain guy. I like his "No Reservations" show but he needs to lighten up. It seems like he expects everyone to enjoy medium rare chicken like he does.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
But that's what I mean, they say Chef Paula Deen-is that like Chef-boyardee? Or is it an honorary thing?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
I have a crush on Bobby Flay. He just does it for me. I cannot listen to Rachael Ray for one second anymore; that's how bad her voice is now. I know she has a medical problem with it, but why isn't she getting it fixed? She can afford it. Paula Deen is dimmer than a 50-year-old lightbulb, and her sons are boring. I love Ina Garten. Sandra Lee is nice but I think she is more into decorating than actual cooking (not open a box of cake mix and--done!). Guy Fieri is on too much. Giada needs to stop showing us every single tooth she has when she smiles, and stop pronouncing every semi-Italian word like she's teaching an intro Italian class. We KNOW what spaghetti is, honey. It ain't so fancy. Mario Batali is a cutie but slightly full of himself. I want to like Tyler Florence but I get bored with him easily.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
rachael ray...what a sexy babe. i don't really know any of the rest

Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM

709 posts, read 1,497,856 times
I'm amazed how I can be so obsessed with the original Japanese Iron Chef but I never sat through as much as 10 minutes of any other cooking show, and from what I hear I'm not the only person like this. There's something about Japan that's just so darn... appetizing. I'd eat the whole country if I could.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
I also can't stand Giada with her big teeth and the way she over proununciates Italian foods.

And Sandra Lee with her cocktail time ??? What a lush.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,305 times
One thing I notice about the Food Network is that all of the producers (I've never been a producer, I'm just conjecturing) seem to come from one Cooking Show Producer Kollege.

They all appear to think that after any dish is finished, the host MUST turn to the camera, take a teeny-tiny bite off the end of a fork/spoon and roll his/her eyes into an orgasmic swoon.

The only exceptions I've seen are Mario Batali and Emeril. Maybe they have their own producers.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
I think Tyler Florence is incredibly sexy, and I'll flip his show on. Besides, he has some awesome recipes.

Bobby Flay strikes me as a complete snob.

Paula Deen is really irritating, and she says "y'all" way too much. I don't care for her sons either. I find her 'cooking' apalling, and I get completely grossed out when she cooks with all of those gawdy rings on and constantly licks her fingers. The cincher for me was when she removed a long hair from something she cooked. Gross.

Sandra Lee is hardly a cook but I have to admit it's fun to slip her show on just to see what what kind of crap she's throwing together-it's like watching a bad train wreck you can't take your eyes away from.

Rachel Ray is okay but she seems a little ADD and she talks too loud-she needs to tone it down and use her inside voice.

Guy Fieri seems down to earth and the kind of guy you can sit down and have a beer with. His recipes are easy and I enjoy his cooking.

Ellie Krieger has some awesome, healthy recipes which are also delicious. She is very quiet and simple. I love her show.

Nigella Lawson has some great cooking, and I love listening to her!

I wish Jamie Oliver and Wolfgang Puck were still on...those guys rocked.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
I used to think Bobby Flay was arrogant, but I like him now. Don't know why.

I think Paula Dean is just adorable, so yes I do like her.

Rachel Ray-I just can't take that voice.

Alton Brown is one of my favorites.

Giada annoys me-we call her the bobble head in my house. They do her hair poorly and her head always looks too big for her body. Very distracting for me.

Nigela creeps me out. There's just something gross about her I can't put my finger on, but I don't like watching her. Same with the Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten and Mario Batali.

Tyler Florence is my Food TV crush with that blond Australian guy a close 2nd.

Sandra Lee...LOL. I imagine her to be the hated housewife on her block. I've tried a couple of her cheater recipes and they work out pretty tasty, but she strikes me as a prettier Martha Stewart, so although I will watch her show, she does work a nerve or two.

Ellie Krieger bores me. Her food is good, but her show really isn't appealing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV