Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start this for all who love soaps but feel that the writing insult the shows and us who watch them. I starting to wonder how they stay on the air. I get that they are not realistic in the storyline but come on at times they insult the people who watch them. I love soaps and I can remember my Grandpa and Grandma watching General Hosptal. Steve and Jessie would roll over in their grave. Of course if they were still alive the mob would have killed them by now. I won't watch OLTL because they had a great storyline with Star;s baby and blew it. It could have really shown teen pregnancy and instead they do this baby switch with character who has several personalites. Even Y&R is getting nut with this Kate thing. Its not like she couldn't have a DNA test. Please sound off if you need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
have always been a soap fan, but get more and more disgusted with the writers/network. I hate that they kill off a character, then show them as a ghost(general hospital) now, bring back a look-a-like! they wonder why people quit watching.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Truly the quality of soap operas has plummeted in the past 10 years. There's so little attention paid to quality acting, direction and production. All the energy goes toward chasing fads, concocting stunt plots, and hiring the latest underwear models. The stories are no longer character-driven, but instead are plot-driven to the point where 99 percent of the audience will consider a character's latest action and shout "Hey! Character X would never do that!"

Irna Phillips and Doug Marland are spinning in their graves, too.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 01-14-2009 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: eliminating errant letters

Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
I've watched soaps for years. Mainly AMC and Days.

When the writing and the acting just got out of control on AMC (and Susan Lucci did so much to her face she's hard for me to look at anymore), I switched to Days. Now that NBC has slashed the budget by 40% on the last soap NBC has airing, and in trying to keep with that budget, they fired Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn... I'm done.

I won't watch another soap.

It's simply no longer worth my time to invest in the crap they produce anymore.

Seriously.... remember when the show would leave ya hangin' on a Friday and ya just wanted the weekend to get over with so you could see what happened next?

Now, I turn on the show and think, WTH has happened?

I know I've said it before, albeit on another forum, but the soap genre is a dying breed and the horrible writers (Dena Higley being at the very top of that list) aren't helping the cause any.

A few years back, Days killed off all the vets. When the ratings plummeted, they concocted some lame story that they all hadn't died, but they were all on some island somewhere... blah, blah, blah. Just ridiculous stuff that viewers shouldn't be subjected to. And the way Ken Corday runs the show his parents left him.... talk about rolling over in their graves! When he meets up with them again on the other side, he's gonna get a beat down for how he's let his parents show go to pot. And that's putting it mildly.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
They killed off Vet actors on GH as well. I saw a commercial for Days and I wondered why they said Marlena and John or who ever were having there last days. I agree I could remember not being able to wait until Monday to see what happened. Now nothing happens on Froday to even care. It makes me mad because I respect those who work in Daytime they work hard. Even those who have made it big will tell you they started with daytime and it was no picnic. It is sad and I pick up some Soap Mags. from time to time and they get letters with people who say the same thing and yet they continue to keep the same bull.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM

269 posts, read 913,511 times
I used to watch As the World Turns, then since they show a clip of what happens in the next show I would record it and watch ONLY the 30 second clip of what happened in the next show. I seriously think I did this for over a year when I finally realized .. what the heck am I doing, this is stupid. I am proud to say I am now soap free for I think 2 years! I wonder if I can get a badge or something for that! ha

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I had to give up Days of our Lives a few years ago. I was a Days/Another World girl in the 80s and 90s. The thing for me was watching for a week with absolutely no progression of the storyline. I started watching just on Fridays. Then once a month. Then not at all. Occasionally, I give it another try, only to find that I just don't care about any of the characters. Between that and all the retcon, I just can't do it anymore.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
It makes me mad because I respect those who work in Daytime they work hard.
Daytime actors are the mule workers of televison. They work 50 weeks a year, 5 days a week, sometimes 22 hour days (sleeping on set), cuz they have to make a new show every day. I've never understood the lack of respect from other actors for what daytime people go through. Because it's not high quality filming? 'Cuz the stories are sometimes ridiculous? Anyone that can remember 57 pages of lines A DAY, has my respect.

Well name me a show that isn't. The hospital dramas that are on... all my doctor/ nurse friends laugh and say how idiotic they are, they're nothing like a real day at work and same with the CSI shows. If they showed what it was really like it'd bore everyone to tears and the shows would be canceled.

I've heard GH take some hits for so much mob invested story line (I quit watching that for real, years ago and occasionally have it on, but just for background noise) but they actually did the right thing by investing time and audience interest in their younger actors, the children of the "super couples". No other show has really done that... and the worst example of it is Days.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I saw a commercial for Days and I wondered why they said Marlena and John or who ever were having there last days.
Yeah... after 32 years and being half of the most popular super couple in all of daytime, Ken Corday picked up the telephone and called (didn't even do it in person) and fired Deidre Hall.

And after firing Drake Hogestyn (the other half of that super couple) off in December of '07 and then freaking out 'cuz the ratings plummeted, they brought him back to life... only to call him on the phone and fire him again.

They'd promised the fanbase a true love story/ reunion and all would be right in Salem only to fire them both 10 months later.

And how's that love story being written? Well... John is now half Brady/ half DiMera (that's a huge WTF to those that know the history of John Black), he's cheated on Marlena, he doesn't remember her at all, treats her like crap and on the 23rd of January (their last air date) he gets injected with a toxin and becomes paralyzed from the neck down and they leave town to look for help.

And they wonder why no one wants to invest their time on soaps anymore?!?! Really?

But as devoted John & Marlena fans say... "Ahhhh... least we'll always have 1993... and 1997!"

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 AM

If any of you had soap couples you really liked or fav scenes from a soap you liked, there's a good chance they have clips of them up on youtube. There's lots of fan bases on there and they make great music vids or post up the old episodes that was the reason we all started watching in the first place!

K... sorry for posting my brains out in here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV