Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
I thought Adam,Allison,Danny and Matt were good but was disappointed in Anoop and Jorge. Alexis was too over the top in her rendition of the song and as for Kris he may be good looking to some but IMO is not an AI.
I think Alexis could have been awesome with Dirty Diana if she would have toned it down a notch or five. She way over did it.

I haven't been too impressed with Jorge either, he seemed kind of boring last night. I really like it when they take songs and then flip them on their head and make them way different (like David Cook did last season) You can hear kareoke versions of songs anywhere so it is neat to hear a different version of a song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
That San Diego kid with the dyed black hair and eye makeup really made me forget about everyone else in the competition. He's hip, he's current and as far as star material goes, he's in an entirely different league than everyone else except maybe the latina girl from Los Angeles.

I hate when they say that they are "from" Los Angeles when really they just moved here from wherever. They should just say "Im from Utah" or whatever instead of "posing" and wanting people to think youre from LA.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
I still like Megan....with her voice there really isn't many MJ songs for her...but that's ok, she still did good.

Loved Lil, Adam, Alison, Danny and yes even Anoop.

I think Anoop might be trying to over-prove himself.

Michael is "OK"

Not really impressed with the others.

I won't be watching tonight because of that Kayne West person...I have no desire to watch while he's on.
I'll catch the winners tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,122 times
I didn't know Kanye was going to be on tonight. Cool! I love Kanye.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,119,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
They are going to eliminate two tomorrow night. I would imagine it would be one a week after that, but who knows? They seem to be changing things again, according to Simon.

BTW, I thought almost all the contestants did a good job tonight, though some really stood out from the pack. I especially liked Allison and Adam Lambert. Danny and Lil were also amazing. Anoop didn't impress me tonight at all, and I also wasn't crazy about Alexis, who is usually one of my favorites. Thought Meghan picked a great song for her personality and style. Loved Kris Allen. First time I paid attention to him.

It certainly is going to be one hell of a contest after the first week or two. A few of them could have a recording contract right now and do wonderfully.
I agree with everything you said here, except I didn't like Meghan's song. I like her voice, but I agree with Simon that the song choice was stupid.

My favorites are Adam, Allison and Danny in that order.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,699 times
I don't get how all of you don't see how pathetically fake Adam is and how much he screams in every performance. I've found him to be awful from the beginning to now. But then again, you are also people who like the blind guy and Danny, who are both terrible and who would not be able to sell any records at all.

Lil Rounds "The Way You Make Me Feel"
She looks pretty good on stage, seems like a natural, but her voice is so-so...not nearly as good as the judges want you to think. Melinda Doolittle would absolutely dominate her in a one-on-one sing-off. SAFE

Scott MacIntyre "Keep the Faith"
Can we get over this guy now? To me, it's almost offensive how they continually tell him that his passion comes through...that's the kind of thing they say to athletes at the special olympics. The real critique is that he doesn't have a very good voice and he's only an okay piano player (compared to Matt? Please) who sings only the cheesiest songs. SAFE (but shouldn't be)

Danny Gokey "P.Y.T."
I will agree that this was his best so far, it just wasn't anything I'd write home about. He's definitely the most overrated person other than Adam, and I still have no clue how he will sell records outside the Christian music world. SAFE (but hopefully not for too long)

Michael Sarver "You Are Not Alone"
He's got a decent voice, but he can't possibly stick around much longer, he's clearly out of his league now. SAFE (but shouldn't be)

Jasmine Murray "I'll Be There"
She's so forgettable, just another one of those young Diva-wannabes with a second-rate voice. I see her being voted off tonight. GONE

Kris Allen "Remember the Time"
I said Jason Mraz the second I saw him the first time, even without his guitar, and this performance solidified that prediction. He's very good, but Idol doesn't want him to win. He's got a great tone and feels like he could actually make records that would sell. I want him to keep making it. SAFE (but barely)

Allison Iraheta "Given to Me"
She's going to be singing Heart songs and songs that sound like Heart songs the whole time...because that's all she's shown us. She's talented and enjoyable, but she'll be gone in a few weeks. SAFE (but not for too long)

Anoop Desai "Beat It"
He was awful. Absolutely terrible, his personality got him this far (cause Ricky Braddy was a better singer in the WC round) but for some reason he's still popular and will be safe for a while. SAFE (though he should be gone)

Jorge Nunez "Never Can Say Goodbye"
He's decent, but incredibly forgettable now that the show has moved into competition mode and not "reality TV"...I can't imagine he's going to be in the top 10 if he keeps singing ballads like this. GONE

Megan Joy Corkrey "Rockin' Robin"
I enjoyed it, but maybe that's because she's the prettiest girl I've ever seen on Idol. I hope she loses before the top 10 so she'll appear in Playboy. It was fun to watch because it was cute and quirky and she's got a decent voice, but it's obvious that she's not a performer. SAFE (She's VFTW's choice

Adam Lambert "Black Or White"
I feel like he's an actor playing Steven Tyler in "Aerosmith: The Musical Play". The way the judges got on all fours for this guy was beyond me. I thought it was painful, just like all the others from this guy. SAFE (as long as Simon, Paula, Kara and Randy continue to annoint him as the Second Coming)

Matt Giraud "Human Nature"
He's talented, clearly that's true. Him and Kris are my favorite guys left, and they are more understated and just simply talented. With Matt in front of the piano it showed how amateur Scott was earlier. I thought his performance was vastly superior to Lambert's and along with Kris and Alexis, he was my favorite of the night. SAFE (but only for a few more weeks before he's in trouble)

Alexis Grace "Dirty Diana"
She is a serious singer. She's also gotten a lot sexier since tryouts. I really like her and hope she's around for a long time. I don't get why they told her "it's not as good as you think it is", but told Adam that he was the greatest singer they've ever seen when his performance was far more indulgent. SAFE

Old 03-11-2009, 12:06 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I've found him to be awful from the beginning to now. But then again, you are also people who like the blind guy and Danny, who are both terrible and who would not be able to sell any records at all.
Well, I guess we just can't all be as perfectly able to pick talent as you are. How's the air way up there?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I don't get how all of you don't see how pathetically fake Adam is and how much he screams in every performance. I've found him to be awful from the beginning to now. But then again, you are also people who like the blind guy and Danny, who are both terrible and who would not be able to sell any records at all.

Lil Rounds "The Way You Make Me Feel"
She looks pretty good on stage, seems like a natural, but her voice is so-so...not nearly as good as the judges want you to think. Melinda Doolittle would absolutely dominate her in a one-on-one sing-off. SAFE

Scott MacIntyre "Keep the Faith"
Can we get over this guy now? To me, it's almost offensive how they continually tell him that his passion comes through...that's the kind of thing they say to athletes at the special olympics. The real critique is that he doesn't have a very good voice and he's only an okay piano player (compared to Matt? Please) who sings only the cheesiest songs. SAFE (but shouldn't be)

Danny Gokey "P.Y.T."
I will agree that this was his best so far, it just wasn't anything I'd write home about. He's definitely the most overrated person other than Adam, and I still have no clue how he will sell records outside the Christian music world. SAFE (but hopefully not for too long)

Michael Sarver "You Are Not Alone"
He's got a decent voice, but he can't possibly stick around much longer, he's clearly out of his league now. SAFE (but shouldn't be)

Jasmine Murray "I'll Be There"
She's so forgettable, just another one of those young Diva-wannabes with a second-rate voice. I see her being voted off tonight. GONE

Kris Allen "Remember the Time"
I said Jason Mraz the second I saw him the first time, even without his guitar, and this performance solidified that prediction. He's very good, but Idol doesn't want him to win. He's got a great tone and feels like he could actually make records that would sell. I want him to keep making it. SAFE (but barely)

Allison Iraheta "Given to Me"
She's going to be singing Heart songs and songs that sound like Heart songs the whole time...because that's all she's shown us. She's talented and enjoyable, but she'll be gone in a few weeks. SAFE (but not for too long)

Anoop Desai "Beat It"
He was awful. Absolutely terrible, his personality got him this far (cause Ricky Braddy was a better singer in the WC round) but for some reason he's still popular and will be safe for a while. SAFE (though he should be gone)

Jorge Nunez "Never Can Say Goodbye"
He's decent, but incredibly forgettable now that the show has moved into competition mode and not "reality TV"...I can't imagine he's going to be in the top 10 if he keeps singing ballads like this. GONE

Megan Joy Corkrey "Rockin' Robin"
I enjoyed it, but maybe that's because she's the prettiest girl I've ever seen on Idol. I hope she loses before the top 10 so she'll appear in Playboy. It was fun to watch because it was cute and quirky and she's got a decent voice, but it's obvious that she's not a performer. SAFE (She's VFTW's choice

Adam Lambert "Black Or White"
I feel like he's an actor playing Steven Tyler in "Aerosmith: The Musical Play". The way the judges got on all fours for this guy was beyond me. I thought it was painful, just like all the others from this guy. SAFE (as long as Simon, Paula, Kara and Randy continue to annoint him as the Second Coming)

Matt Giraud "Human Nature"
He's talented, clearly that's true. Him and Kris are my favorite guys left, and they are more understated and just simply talented. With Matt in front of the piano it showed how amateur Scott was earlier. I thought his performance was vastly superior to Lambert's and along with Kris and Alexis, he was my favorite of the night. SAFE (but only for a few more weeks before he's in trouble)

Alexis Grace "Dirty Diana"
She is a serious singer. She's also gotten a lot sexier since tryouts. I really like her and hope she's around for a long time. I don't get why they told her "it's not as good as you think it is", but told Adam that he was the greatest singer they've ever seen when his performance was far more indulgent. SAFE

Wow...I'm like so touched....wait give me a moment....honored really that you took time out of your expertly perfect life and told us underlings (who you grouped all together btw) and told us how things really are.

Words can't describe(I'd get banned) at just how humbled I feel right at this very moment.
I might at well not even watch the rest of the season. Thank you so much for freeing up my time.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Well, I guess we just can't all be as perfectly able to pick talent as you are. How's the air way up there?
Judging by your quote, I think we both know who thinks they are high and mighty...

And it's true, most Americans wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the butt. After all, Taylor Hicks beat Chris Daughtry...who is the more successful artist?
After all, Jennifer Hudson placed 7th, behind such superstars as Fantasia Barrino, Diana DeGarmo, Jasmine Trias, LaToya London, George Huff and John Stevens. Americans are also the same people who think Britney Spears actually has talent.

If you can't identify what key the singer is singing in, you really can't expect your opinion to be correct on who is a better singer. If you scream your entire song and put on a rockstar costume when you're actually just another flaming gay guy who does musical theater, you don't deserve to win. And Danny Gokey? Please...he actually said he will be a Christian music artist...is that what Idol is supposed to find? He wasn't terrible last night, but he's clearly not as good of a musician as Matt or Kris in any measurement of musical skills.

Last edited by Pug Life; 03-11-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Wow...I'm like so touched....wait give me a moment....honored really that you took time out of your expertly perfect life and told us underlings (who you grouped all together btw) and told us how things really are.

Words can't describe(I'd get banned) at just how humbled I feel right at this very moment.
I might at well not even watch the rest of the season. Thank you so much for freeing up my time.
Why do you people who know very little about music always get so insulted when someone with a music background actually gives an opinion supported by their knowledge of music? If you can't tell when someone is sharp or flat (like Adam and Danny, Lil too) or when they are simply awful (Anoop), how can you get insulted when someone says that you simply don't really know music too well? American Idol is not about the best singer, as they are usually voted out early because of the lack of an interesting back story or a pretty face. But it should be...

But time and time again, the voters have proven that they know absolutely nothing about music.

You don't respond to my individual reviews, you just get all insulted because I display a superior music knowledge to yours and you feel inferior...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV