Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The cartoons on the cable channels these days are much better anyway. Half the cartoons in my day were all based on a gang of meddling kids with some type of anthropomorphic mascot. Scooby Doo, Scrappy Doo, Speed Buggy, Jabber Jaw, etc.
You sound like one of thise villians on those Saturday morning cartoons. I remember they always used to say "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Then, in the late 80s, when I was middle-school age, after school became a big time for cartoons, I used to love coming home from school and watching some Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Jetsons etc. Also remember that TBS would have Tom and Jerry on everyday. Also used to like USA Cartoon Express, which had a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

When I was younger, I would get up on Saturday at the crack of dawn...sometimes like 6:30, to watch cartoons. Usually that early there would be older cartoons like Underdog and Bullwinkle. Then would watch the Smurfs, the Chipmunks, Pac-Man, Richie Rich, Mr. T, Scooby Doo....good stuff.

I would love to have the Boomerang network, but unfortunately, Comcast doesn't carry it in my area. Tom and Jerry is now on Cartoon Network everyday, and my kids love it. We always watch it together and laugh our arses off.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 10-14-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
There are still Saturday morning cartoons but since cartoons are so readily available during the week, I don't think many kids watch them.
That makes sense, but as a kid I seem to remember watching things like Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, TBS, and cartoons on USA Network during the week but still enjoying Saturday morning cartoons.

Granted we didn't have Cartoon network, I don't think, so a difference was that you maybe watched an hour every weekday. You watched what your parents wanted around Prime Time and then went to bed by 9 or 10. Which is maybe a significant difference. Nowadays kids tend to have their own TVs, that was starting to be standard by the time I was a teen, and for all I know they set their own hours. So maybe they want to catch up on sleep during the weekend rather than being used to waking up at 7 AM every day and then needing something to do with the extra time on Saturday.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Cartoon Network has also started running the old Looney Tunes, which is great. I haven't seen them in a long time.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Cartoon Network has also started running the old Looney Tunes, which is great. I haven't seen them in a long time.
When are those on? Couldn't find it on the schedule. Also, are these the Saturday morning Looney Tunes or the real Looney Tunes that they used to play before movies?

You know, the ones that were super politically incorrect! Shave and a haircut, two bits!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
When are those on? Couldn't find it on the schedule. Also, are these the Saturday morning Looney Tunes or the real Looney Tunes that they used to play before movies?

You know, the ones that were super politically incorrect! Shave and a haircut, two bits!
The original Looney Tunes....but they also have a new show called The Looney Tunes Show, which is OK, but its nowhere near the old ones. I wasn't sure what time they're on, since I have the DVR set to record it whenever its on, but it looks like 6 AM and noon on weekdays, and just 6 am on weekends, according to their schedule on the CN website.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
The original Looney Tunes....but they also have a new show called The Looney Tunes Show, which is OK, but its nowhere near the old ones. I wasn't sure what time they're on, since I have the DVR set to record it whenever its on, but it looks like 6 AM and noon on weekdays, and just 6 am on weekends, according to their schedule on the CN website.
Speaking of cartoons...

Mr. Yuk Commercial - YouTube

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Then, in the late 80s, when I was middle-school age, after school became a big time for cartoons, I used to love coming home from school and watching some Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Jetsons etc. Also remember that TBS would have Tom and Jerry on everyday. Also used to like USA Cartoon Express, which had a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

When I was younger, I would get up on Saturday at the crack of dawn...sometimes like 6:30, to watch cartoons. Usually that early there would be older cartoons like Underdog and Bullwinkle. Then would watch the Smurfs, the Chipmunks, Pac-Man, Richie Rich, Mr. T, Scooby Doo....good stuff.

I would love to have the Boomerang network, but unfortunately, Comcast doesn't carry it in my area. Tom and Jerry is now on Cartoon Network everyday, and my kids love it. We always watch it together and laugh our arses off.
I loved those Hanna Barbera cartoons.

I did watch a lot of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network growing up, but Saturday morning cartoons were still important to my age group. I also watched re-runs of shows like Recess and Sabrina the Animated Series weekday mornings before school.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Bugs was the coolest. He was topical, irreverent and clever. I am so glad the Cartoon Network is showing the old Looney Tunes. Even though some of them are not exactly "politically correct."

I have a complete set of DVD's which included the Bugs Bunny opera show. Bugs as Wagner's "Brunhilda" with Elmer Fudd as the hunter is the funniest thing I ever saw or heard.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Default Saturday Morning School House Rock Cartoons

Remember these?

I'm Just a Bill - YouTube

Schoolhouse Rock - Conjunction Junction - YouTube

Interjections! Schoolhouse Rock - YouTube

Love that last one -- still sounds great after 30+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV