Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times

Advertisements

Happened to glance at the Tudors DVD set at the store and it had a sticker that stated season 3 will be premiering April 15th, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 PM

269 posts, read 913,886 times
The one I am reading is the Anne Boleyn by Evelyn Anthony and then one about the Six Wifes of Henry the VIII.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Wait a minute...I haven't watched this show but please tell me this pretty boy in the picture is NOT supposed to be Henry VIII? He was a burly man who was so coarse and rough and large in stature he was said to lift men up and crush them in one hand!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Wait a minute...I haven't watched this show but please tell me this pretty boy in the picture is NOT supposed to be Henry VIII? He was a burly man who was so coarse and rough and large in stature he was said to lift men up and crush them in one hand!
That was in later years, but in the earlier years he was surprisingly athletic.

For some good books on the period, look to some of Alison Weir's titles on the wives, the reign, the children, and on into Elizabeth and Mary's regins. Her books are very good as are those of David Starkey who is one of the foremost historians on the Tudor period. David Starkey also had a Six Wives series on PBS as well that was based upon his writings.

The show is very well done, and I, too, am eagerly awaiting Season 3. It's one of the few television shows I will watch, since it stands out among the manufactured "reality" that passes for much of television entertainment.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
It was not until roughly during/after Anne Boleyn's time that he became overweight, if that's what you mean. I think it was around the time he injured his leg, which effected him the rest of his life - it may have even been part of the cause of the weight gain.

He was also supposed to be quite handsome and very athletic in his youth - although how much of that was influenced by the fact that he was a powerful king is unknown (you know how power and money can make an average looking man attractive). But fact still remains that in his younger years, he was regarded by the people of his time as attractive.

If you look at paintings of Henry VIII in his teens or 20s, although I wouldn't say he is attractive by todays social standards, you can see that he is not the big, burly man that most people know him as.

Also, in character, not just physical stature, Henry had a huge interest in academia and the arts. He was not this big, stupid, lazy man who just ate and ate - he was very intelligent and enlightened. Until he went slightly crazy, of course.

Admittedly, the actor is supposedly somewhat short whereas Henry VIII was very tall even in his younger years. But they are not hugely off the mark and in the end of the second season, they had a scene suggesting an introduction to his weight gain. I'm wondering if the actor will be gaining weight or whether he'll wear a fat suit.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 AM

1,072 posts, read 845,277 times
April ?!?!??! For Season 3 ?
I did catch a glimpse of scenes from Season 3 but missed the date listing.
Okay can't wait !
I must get a hold of the suggested books to tide me over till then.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
If you're looking for books, I suggest Autobiography of Henry VIII (With Notes By His Fool, Will Somers) by Margaret George. Best Tudor fiction I've read yet.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
bmwguydc and pau2uk...thank you for the historical background! That explains quite a bit...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,277 times
well I went for the more sensational that is reading like an episode from the Tudors..

Innocent Traitor, Lady Jane Gray by Alison Weir

and for Nonfic I trade off with her Henry VIII

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Default Season Three Premiers April 5th

Season Three premieres tomorrow. Subscribers with "on demand" can view one week early. I'm loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV