Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 PM

269 posts, read 911,300 times

Advertisements

I watch Amazing Race religiously ... and the Hills. I don't have any idea why, even my teenage daughter says she is giving up on it. I am just waiting for the episode where Spencer drowns or something I guess. I know that's mean sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 AM

750 posts, read 1,431,588 times
I don't miss an episode of Amazing Race or The Mole.

I used to love Survivor, but my love dimmed when I noticed somewhere a few Roman numerals ago that they had subtly (or not so subtly) shifted from real, interesting people from all over the US to "Hollywood Hopefuls". Casting became auditions for wanna-be stars, ex-pro-athletes, the annoying bartender slash model types. Ugh.

Dr. Will and his disgusting posse of camera hogs killed Big Brother for me, and I see too much Big Brotherism creeping into other reality shows.

Maybe the genre has run its course and TV needs to move on. Or maybe they just need an infusion of new and innovative producers, because it seems the same ones keep producing most of the shows and they all follow the same formula.

Last edited by jsqueezer; 02-01-2009 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: typos!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Hate, hate, hate reality tv.

But love Top Chef.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,166,909 times
Hate reality tv generally.
Do watch Survivor, and a few episodes of....Iron Chef? Top Chef?
Can honestly say I haven't watched any others.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,741,532 times
The only "reality" show that I really loved was "Murder in Small Town X" from 2001. Anyone remember that one? That was a great show!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,130,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I used to love Survivor, but my love dimmed when I noticed somewhere a few Roman numerals ago that they had subtly (or not so subtly) shifted from real, interesting people from all over the US to "Hollywood Hopefuls". Casting became auditions for wanna-be stars, ex-pro-athletes, the annoying bartender slash model types. Ugh.
I agree it did go down hill for us too when they starting casting auditions of "select" types I would rather see common everyday folks doing this show. Not ones that are trying to further their careers in some sort of way or kick start one if it is over.

Having said that this past season did pull off some mighty fine blind slides! Plus the Survivor thread we enjoyed a lot of back and forth jabbing and great insights!

Sadly networks have found that reality shows are cheaper to make than sitcoms so I am afraid we are in for more of them.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,690,388 times
I watch:
Amazing Race
Hell's Kitchen
Solitary
Some years I watch Idol, some I don't
Top Chef
Project Runway
The Mole was good but I don't think it's coming back
Housewives OC & Atlanta
Sometimes I like Big Brother, sometimes I don't --> I miss Dr. Will
I liked Dr. 90210 but I guess they took it off?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,004,541 times
Can't believe no one has mentioned HGTV's Design Star! I must say, I liked Season 1 the best. They seemed to slide downhill after that. As for the others, I'm not much of a Reality Game fan (what a mls-leading term that is!) but when I can I try to catch Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef and the audition episodes of American Idol.

I really can't stand Survivor, Biggest Loser, Mole, Amazing (in whose opinion?) Race or any of the dating sims, such as Bachelor, Bachelorette, Average Joe (or whatever it was called) and the others. I dislike them so much, they don't even deserve bolding .

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,961,738 times
I think most reality TV is crap although I like the shows that kind of give you a sociological perspective like Real World, Wife Swap, etc. I like when they force people from different backgrounds to live together and its not a competition of some sort.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,130,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think most reality TV is crap although I like the shows that kind of give you a sociological perspective like Real World, Wife Swap, etc. I like when they force people from different backgrounds to live together and its not a competition of some sort.
Even they are a competition to a degree because the families get paid to swap don't they? I think those types are a good way to break down prejudice
barriers but sometimes they can get off the wall looney. Remember the one mom that went to live with a black family that pushed muslim ways and she tore her check up saying it was satan money. Of course then she comes back to swap again and keeps the money then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV