Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Is anyone else watching the show "RuPaul's Drag Race" on the Logo Network?
RuPaul's Drag Race | Video Clips, Watch Full Episodes Online | Logo Online

My roommates and I just got into it, and it's absolutely hilarious - definitely check it out if you get this channel! Basically the show is like American Idol for Drag Queens, and they compete in challenges every week... usually includes a dance/lip-synch routine, photo shoot, costume challenges, etc. The funniest part is at the end, where the bottom two contestants have to "lip-synch for their life" to avoid elimination. My (gay) male roommate is in love with Javier aka Rebecca Glasscock, and my female roommate & I are liking Eric aka Akashia. They are all so pretty as men AND queens! Anyway, just curious if anyone else is watching the show...
I didn't think I would like the show; though I'm gay; however I must admit it got more entertaining each week...a bit "catty" but a hoot!. Looking forward to the new queens this season.....I think the "claws" will be out more this season...LOL. I liked Rebecca too; only because he was cute as a dude. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
this has become one of my favorite shows - i've been watching the last season on demand over the last few weeks and i'm psyched for the new season!

the great thing about the show is that it's a parody of reality competition shows while at the same time it IS a reality competition show that is engaging and fun. drag queens are perfect contestants because they mostly don't take themselves too seriously. my favorite was ongina but for the most part i would have been happy if any of them had won. funny that it's a drag queen show yet most of the contestants were less "itchy" (ha!) than your average top chef contestant.

some of my favorite things about the show:

- every time they show rupaul in drag it looks like they smeared a whole jar of vaseline on the lens
- Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent!
- Don't f**k it up as a catchphrase!
- on the serious side, the insight on the technical details that go into doing drag
- santino!!!

also, i thought shannel was kind of hot out of drag. in fact while sometimes she looked gorgeous *in* drag, easily more beautiful than, ahem, rebecca, i thought she sometimes sabotaged herself with her stylistic choices. especially the updo she sported a lot that looked like a hairpiece on top of short hair. a lot of the time she ended up looking like a middle aged lady (albeit a middle aged lady prone to baring her shapely butt!) i'll try to find a screenshot to illustrate.

Last edited by groar; 01-28-2010 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 AM

compare & contrast:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FW86_jO7k_...n_Recap_34.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FW86_jO7k_...pisode2_31.jpg

why, shannel, why?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I still the the final three from the first season should have been Nina, Bebe, and Shannel. I think the producers kept Rebecca around for the drama/bitchiness factor and not because she was a great drag queen.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:06 PM

yeah, it does seem that way. i don't think she was even all that beautiful, and she certainly didn't have much charisma, uniqueness, nerve, or talent!

although i might replace shannel with ongina in the final 3! her style was pretty out there though.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this has become one of my favorite shows - i've been watching the last season on demand over the last few weeks and i'm psyched for the new season!

the great thing about the show is that it's a parody of reality competition shows while at the same time it IS a reality competition show that is engaging and fun. drag queens are perfect contestants because they mostly don't take themselves too seriously. my favorite was ongina but for the most part i would have been happy if any of them had won. funny that it's a drag queen show yet most of the contestants were less "itchy" (ha!) than your average top chef contestant.

some of my favorite things about the show:

- every time they show rupaul in drag it looks like they smeared a whole jar of vaseline on the lens
- Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent!
- Don't f**k it up as a catchphrase!
- on the serious side, the insight on the technical details that go into doing drag
- santino!!!

also, i thought shannel was kind of hot out of drag. in fact while sometimes she looked gorgeous *in* drag, easily more beautiful than, ahem, rebecca, i thought she sometimes sabotaged herself with her stylistic choices. especially the updo she sported a lot that looked like a hairpiece on top of short hair. a lot of the time she ended up looking like a middle aged lady (albeit a middle aged lady prone to baring her shapely butt!) i'll try to find a screenshot to illustrate.
I do love the Charisma; Uniqueness; Nerve and Talent...LMAO. But I thought Rebecca was the prettiest; however "she" did not have the talent and/or experience necessary to win. But I despised Shannel; her head was always so far up her own . If you recall she said after nearly every challenge(except one) "I should have won that challenge". I felt Rebecca in the girl band challenge was better...otherwise Rebecca...I admit, could not "cut it". .

Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I didn't think I would like the show; though I'm gay; however I must admit it got more entertaining each week...a bit "catty" but a hoot!. Looking forward to the new queens this season.....I think the "claws" will be out more this season...LOL. I liked Rebecca too; only because he was cute as a dude. .
I hear you, family, though I wasn't a Rebecca fan You know who was really attractive as a guy? Jade. He took my breath away...I think my bf was a little jealous at times, LOL. I also love Shanell's eyes. He's a cute guy too.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I hear you, family, though I wasn't a Rebecca fan You know who was really attractive as a guy? Jade. He took my breath away...I think my bf was a little jealous at times, LOL. I also love Shanell's eyes. He's a cute guy too.
Shannell did have pretty eyes and was very beautiful in drag...but that "personality" just rubbed me the wrong way...LOL. I forgot about Jade...he was cute too and definitely had the "best package". .

Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 AM

shannel did have an annoying personality, but i think it's because she is very insecure and i have some empathy for her. she really made herself look bad in the reunion show when she went on that weird rant to rebecca about how many "character illusions" she can do, or the rant to the judges about how they should have said more nice things about her.

she won some points with me for how nice she was to her partner in the girl fighter challenge. and bebe lost some points, hoo boy!

i thought jade looked better as a boy than as a girl, i have to admit! but i am not that into girly looking boys, i think that's why i thought shannel was attractive out of drag. i also liked nina out of drag! she was also probably consistently the most likeable and all-around nicest of the contestants. well, her and ongina.

man, i have way too much to say about this show - i do think nina, although she generally did well and got lots of praise and came in second, got some short shrift from the judges because of her style of drag. there are a few times where they're like "she doesn't look enough like a woman". she's not supposed to look like a woman, her drag style is all about androgyny! i think there's a name for it that i'm not allowed to type here - gender****.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Have you seen the previews for the new season??? I love seeing RuPaul bit$h slapping one of the queens. IMHO...this is going to bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "getting bit$h slapped"...LOL. Our nation's lexicon will definitely need to add a whole new category now.... ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV