Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,210,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I thought it was a little delusional when Caroline compared her kids to Billy Joel's daughter, saying they're both "children of privilege."
Very delusional.

Quote:
Realistically, the type of person who would ever agree to be on a show like this is probably going to be very narcissistic and maybe a bit delusional.

Quote:
I feel sorry for Lauren. If my mother had done to me what Caroline has done to her, I'd have never spoken to her again. She has humiliated her daughter on national TV. Same with Jacqueline with her daughter. It's hard enough to grow up without this kind of embarrassing exposure, and having to watch catty comments about yourself that would best have been kept private being blasted out over TV.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,102,362 times
I am really getting burned out on the Ashley exploitation on this show. Maybe they should take her to the Doctor to make sure she doesn't have something else going on. I cringe when I see her Mother run her child down on TV. It's like there is nothing else interesting going on so lets talk about Ashley. The kid doesn't have a chance if they don't do something to try to get her on track besides yell at her.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,102,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Is Kathy's Sister Rosie Gay? She comes off and looks very butch, her look, voice, manners, dress, etc. nothing about her is fem.
DUH! Yes...

Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,373,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I am really getting burned out on the Ashley exploitation on this show. Maybe they should take her to the Doctor to make sure she doesn't have something else going on. I cringe when I see her Mother run her child down on TV. It's like there is nothing else interesting going on so lets talk about Ashley. The kid doesn't have a chance if they don't do something to try to get her on track besides yell at her.
Jacqueline and Chris are incapable of seeing that they are part of the problem. Ashley would do something wrong, and Chris would give her a brand-new SUV. He did it TWICE!

What could possibly go wrong?

They fail at basic parental common sense.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM

36,633 posts, read 67,216,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Jacqueline and Chris are incapable of seeing that they are part of the problem. Ashley would do something wrong, and Chris would give her a brand-new SUV. He did it TWICE!

What could possibly go wrong?

They fail at basic parental common sense.
So true.

By the time a child has reached Ashley's age, its too late to suddenly try and instill a work ethic and a sense of responsibility without having tremendous difficulty. Its no surprise that she and other young adults like her have acclimated themselves to being spoiled brats and are not functioning adults with a clear plan for their future

That's not to say it's too late, of course not.

But its easier to teach values when they are young children, when they are impressionable sponges and form lifelong habits.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 AM

Of course, they shouldn't give up on their daughter. I just get tired of Jacqueline crying over Ashley, but never taking the slightest responsibility for the mixed messages she and Chris gave her.

What parent in their right mind gives a kid an SUV for failing? Chris said he did it for her self esteem. It didn't work. Rinse and repeat. It wasn't bad enough that it didn't work the first time. Chris later bought her another SUV for failing!

Ashley does something seriously wrong, gets rewarded for it, and then when she continues to act the same way that previously got her a reward, they get mad.

They expect her to take them seriously? There's no stability in their reactions, and all kids need a well defined set of expectations and known consequences.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,116,173 times
Do people who give their spoiled brat kids everything for doing nothing not get that they are doing something wrong?

I'm serious.

Do they not get what they are doing?

It's one thing to get your good kid who accomplishes things and actually works hard something. But these people who have lazy problem children (who they created)...why do they continue to reward bad behavior and then sit there and wonder why the kids are screwed up?

Anyone know?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM

339 posts, read 693,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Of course, they shouldn't give up on their daughter. I just get tired of Jacqueline crying over Ashley, but never taking the slightest responsibility for the mixed messages she and Chris gave her.

What parent in their right mind gives a kid an SUV for failing? Chris said he did it for her self esteem. It didn't work. Rinse and repeat. It wasn't bad enough that it didn't work the first time. Chris later bought her another SUV for failing!

Ashley does something seriously wrong, gets rewarded for it, and then when she continues to act the same way that previously got her a reward, they get mad.

They expect her to take them seriously? There's no stability in their reactions, and all kids need a well defined set of expectations and known consequences.

I think Chris had the "step-father" syndrome going on there. I don't want to say he was trying to buy Ashley but I feel he was trying not to be the heavy. Jac always sounded whiny and like she was 'begging' Ashley to behave; there was no authority in Jac's voice.

I guess child-rearing is different today for a lot of folks. Caroline might be controlling, etc. but I do agree with her, you need an "iron" hand when raising children. I don't think the Manzo children would talk to or act towards their parents the way Ashley acted towards her parents, Jac especially.

Ashley will learn the HARD way that her attitude will have to change-life is funny that way.

Last edited by NYPeach; 05-28-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,881,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do people who give their spoiled brat kids everything for doing nothing not get that they are doing something wrong?

I'm serious.

Do they not get what they are doing?

It's one thing to get your good kid who accomplishes things and actually works hard something. But these people who have lazy problem children (who they created)...why do they continue to reward bad behavior and then sit there and wonder why the kids are screwed up?

Anyone know?
I'm with you.

It's just the proverbial... I wanna give my kids all the things I never had. Or I'm going to go give my kids a better child hood than I had. Or the worse one... I don't want my kids to have to struggle like I did!

We always feel like we need to fix or make something Better in this country.

Not realizing that obviously their childhood was good enough for them to attain their lifestyle... And Struggling can build character. So some hard work is good for kids...

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
I think Chris had the "step-father" syndrome going on there. I don't want to say he was trying to buy Ashley but I feel he was trying not to be the heavy. Jac always sounded whiny and like she was 'begging' Ashley to behave; there was no authority in Jac's voice.

I guess child-rearing is different today for a lot of folks. Caroline might be controlling, etc. but I do agree with her, you need an "iron" hand when raising children. I don't think the Manzo children would talk to or act towards their parents the way Ashley acted towards her parents, Jac especially.

Ashley will learn the HARD way that her attitude will have to change-life is funny that way.
Yeah, I have often thought that of Chris too. He wants to be the good guy.

In one of Chris's lectures to Ashley, he told her that people criticized him for giving her the SUVs and that he told them to mind their own business. Then he proceeded to make her feel guilty that he had given her a chance and she blew it.

He was essentially blaming Ashley that his bad idea didn't work!

You are right about Jacqueline. She speaks with no authority and then when she gets no results, she tries to manipulate Ashley with tears.

I don't think that Ashley ever had a sense of where the limits were. I think she was confused because they would allow her to go on her merry way for so long without saying a word about it, and then they would become angry on a dime. To her, it seemed to come out of nowhere.

They expected her to learn by osmosis, and to create her own limits as if she were the parent. Yes, she's immature and annoying, but she didn't get that way all by herself.

I compare them to my sister who was a great parent. She would tell her daughter what the consequences would be if she did XYZ, and then she consistently followed up. Her daughter knew at a very young age where the limits were and exactly what behavior was expected. She also knew that resistance was futile. It cut down on a lot of potential tears and drama, and her daughter was so much more grownup than Ashley at the same age.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 05-28-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV