Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

The seven-part series will premiere this Sunday. I've read several of these books and am interested to see how closely the series follows the written word.
Clip:
Anyone who hasn't read Alexander McCall Smith's best-selling No. 1 Ladies' novels may be surprised by how lovely he makes life in Botswana seem, and how enchanting his characters are. And those who have may be even more surprised to see how well the books translate to TV — and to find this gentle, simple series on HBO, a network better known for edgier, nastier fare.
Yet here the books are, and they could not be in better hands. Co-written and now run by Blackadder's Richard Curtis, this Sunday's premiere is the last film that Oscar winner Anthony Minghella directed, and one of the last that Oscar winner Sydney Pollack produced. It's a fitting cap to their career legacies.
She's Precious, 'No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' is perfect - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,307 times
Soon as the switch from Comcast to At&T is done I'll be watching this one, love Jill Scott

Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
So far the series has been excellent IMO as a great fan of Alexander Mc Call Smith ( I've read all his books including his "Scotland Street" series - all fab ).

The first episode was directed by the great late Anthony Minghella who died during the filming of it. The Other two so far have really captured the flavours of the books ( there are some divergences from the books but not too great to make it a problem).

There is a warm feeling of joy and the acting is superb and it is funny but with poignant touches.

There is a deftness of touch about the writing which is moving and charming all at once and I am glad to have something positive about Africa for a change.

Botswana looks glorious and though the problems of AIDS are touched upon there is a great sense of optimism and "can do" both about the books and the tv series.

I love it.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,307 times
Cool, cant wait to see it~!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
Oooh, interesting. I had to read the first book for my Detective Lit. class last semester. I think it was one of the best books we had to read in that class.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times
I've been eagerly waiting for this show since January.
I love Jill Scott too, and I would like to see how well she acts.

This show looks very interesting, and I'll be watching.

I might add, my co-worker is already complaining about the accents. Her family is from Botswana and she says Jill's accent is horrible. LOL !!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:19 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,346 times
I saw the movie last night on HBO and I was mesmerized. What a lovely movie, I cannot wait for Sunday to see the next episode. My husband who rarely watches T.V. came in during the last thirty minutes or so and actually sat down and watched with me. I have not enjoyed reading fiction lately but I think I will seek out the books.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Caught this when randomly switching channels and enjoyed what part of it I did see. Might have to get my tivo to grab all of them so I can watch them.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
I've been watching the 2009 series on HBO. It is a refreshing program with talented actors. There is so little on TV that holds my interest, except for In Treatment, of course!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times
I really love this show. Its a different step up from the usual nudity and violence that HBO usually has.
Finally a show I can watch with my niece. Lol

Season Finale is tonight. Can't wait. I hope HBO picks this up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV