Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,159,149 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch Wallander on PBS' Masterpiece/Mystery last night? It was the second of three episodes. Kenneth Branagh is superb as the Swedish detective. I only got cable tv a couple of years ago and had drifted away from the great shows I used to watch on PBS. This show restores my enthusiasm for the excellence on public television, after having sampled cable's wares for awhile. I only found out about the show an hour before it ran, and had missed the first episode. Luckily, I see it is available online

Masterpiece | Wallander: Series I | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,822,711 times
I tried watching the first one, but unfortunately it suffered from the same problem that many TV shows and movies have. THE DA** MUSIC TRACK WAS SO LOUD IT WAS HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE DIALOG.

golfgod

Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,555,004 times
Excellent show, Kenneth Brannagh once again showing his craft as a master actor. Dark, brooding and suitably atmospheric.

I didn't even notice any sound track on it, I wonder if it was added for the US market ?

The BBC has been going down a lot recently but "Wallander" is a show they should rightly be proud of. Well directed, with great acting from an excellent cast, great stories, and a cinematography far superior to what i would expect of a fairly low budget TV series.

I do hope they make other series , but I guess it will depend on how well it was received in the UK and maybe the foreign market.

I felt it was a very grown up sort of show, not showy, relying more on the quality than the "bling" of many other series. A Quiet and seemingly un-assuming piece which turned out to be a little Jewel.

Long live "Wallander" .

Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,068,727 times
I'm really enjoying them so far.

My only complaint (and it is a very minor one) is that aside from the occasional mention of Stockholm and krona, you'd never know the story takes place in Sweden. My wife came into the first episode a few minutes late, and it was way over half over before she realized it wasn't in Britain. I think they could have done a bit more to heighten the "Swedish flavor" of the setting.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,159,149 times
Default One Step Behind - On Tonight

Don't forget that the third and final episode is on PBS tonight at 9:00PM

Masterpiece | Wallander: One Step Behind

Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
This was one of the best shows, and I hope they do more of the series. I have told many of my friends about it and this was the first time they even thought that tv mystery shows could be any where but in the USA or Great Britain. I would like to see more in other countries or with the EU acting as a whole as with the United States in being that the stories can take place in any state.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM

934 posts, read 1,120,609 times
I didn't watch Wallander when it was on television. I watched series 1, 2, and 3 back to back on Netflix. I liked them. There was some kind of talk about a series 4, but nothing recently.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,334,496 times
According to Wikipedia, there will be a 3-episode season 4,
which will conclude the series-
but no word on when that might film or air...

The one thing that got on my nerves is his ringtone, drives me up the wall (got sick of it).

Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 PM

934 posts, read 1,120,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
According to Wikipedia, there will be a 3-episode season 4,
which will conclude the series-
but no word on when that might film or air...

The one thing that got on my nerves is his ringtone, drives me up the wall (got sick of it).
I look forward to the last series if they indeed have one.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,689,908 times
I didn't notice a loud sound track either Mooseketeer, superb TV though. I watched the Swedish version on BBC 4, that was excellent too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV