U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM

5,678 posts, read 10,422,143 times

Advertisements

Yes, we wondered about that to! My wife even said that it was already set up by the Judges/Producers to send both acts thru! As for us, we think, even though both Voices of Glory and Fab 5 are good acts, a Vegas show would be more like Fab 5 or the Mario/Jenny juggling act....fast pace, action and good-looking women! I would pay to see Voices of Glory at a church concert, but sure wouldn't in Vegas! And, Grandma Lee, she's good and "sassy", but just isn't a Vegas act! And, sure isn't what a younger audience would want to see on stage......facial wrinkles GALORE!!
By the way, anyone know what happened to that Opra singer that won the AGT last year?? Have heard absolutely NOTHING about him, but everyone knows about Terry Fator after he won AGT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Did you catch Arcadian saying that he didn't want to do High School Musical but the producer made him? Given that remark and the "let's send them both" last night, I definitely think it is scripted. There is no way that the judges would have sent two acts on instead of one without prior permission given the cost of TV time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 AM

2,907 posts, read 4,192,820 times
I don't really care all that much about where the judges are from because everyone has an opinion about entertainment. I actually think Sharon is a better fit to judge entertainment than David is. He's a wanna be singer, but he's really an actor and not an entertainer.

When Arcadian Broad started his sentence about the producers and the HSM routine....I just knew he had caused his own demise at that time. He was laying blame on someone else....and that will get you nowhere, even if it's true.

The contestants all have tons of help at this stage that they haven't had before - in adding props, effects, people and music to their acts. I have no doubt that it suggested to him to do this particular routine. I also have no doubt that had he really wanted to, he could have said no and done something else. His act wasn't bad, it just didn't hold up to the level of the others, which is what Piers was saying and I agree with him on that point.

I was very surprised to see Acrodunk not make it through, however they'll make it big without AGT, I'm sure. They are one of the few acts I'd pay to see.

I think Voices of Glory has a future, but not in Vegas. Maybe they should do church revivals, state fairs, opening for big gospel acts on tour and so on.

Grandma Lee makes me LOL and I enjoy her act. I can see her performing at Branson more than Vegas, so maybe she'll get a chance to still get her big dream.

I think Drew and his magic act are good, but not great. Maybe this exposure will open some doors for him to grow and expand.

The Fab Five should feel grand to have made it this far. Their act is a superb one of energy and precision, however I don't see it becoming a year long vegas act and I can't imagine watching them for more than 10 minutes or so.

The Texas Tenors have some great potential and I'm glad they made it through. I don't see them winning though.

The dog guy, can't remember his name, had a vastly improved act this week, though I have to think it was due to what the show could provide him to work with and not that he did all this on his own. I can see him doing an opening act for a larger act in Vegas, but not his own show.

The dancers/strength couple were really good....until this week. So perhaps they've grown as much as they could in the time they had. Good luck to them where ever this takes them.

Kevin Skinner....I just cannot listen to a full song he sings. He is really off key much of the time and since he's singing mostly alone and with very little music accompaniment it's more apparent. Other than his personal story that's underdog, moving and somewhat sad, I don't see the pull to his actual music. Maybe it's quite different there and in person, but I just care for his singing.

I watch it, enjoy it and then tend to forget it when it's over. It's a nice summer filler when there's mostly reruns. That's about it. haha

Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,595,777 times
I am really liking Kevin Skinner, I hope he wins it all!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 AM

He has a chance, but we think he is just TOO SHY for a show in Vegas! We go to a show in Vegas, we want to see ACTION and beautiful women.......like Fab 5 or Mario/Jenny! But, Mario and Jenny haven't made it to the Finals yet......as long as they don't change their act as much as some other did and those others got booted! Will see next week. The three blonde violin players got booted from the show because they changed their act wayyyyyyy to much!! They could have made it in Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post

Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,940,223 times
kevin skinner is my fav but he's more branson than vegas as is the tenors---vegas is more high action acts,magic shows,powerful singing but NOT those tapping ,clogging sisters!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM

8,556 posts, read 9,886,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
Same here...I think if he wins and has a song writer write songs just for him to record he will even be better.. It's hard when you are judged on singing a song recorded by a known singer.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Neil E. Boyd, the Opra singer who won AGT in 2008 got his $1M and a Headline show in Vegas, but nobody there put him on a Contract like Terri Fator got. But, he did sign a recording contract with Decca Records and released a CD this past June. He is also doing some touring of military bases.
The ULTIMATE prize in winning AGT, other than the $1M, is getting a Contract in Vegas!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:52 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,097,287 times
so far I am not impressed with this show. I saw the semi-finals and some of those people should NOT have made it to the semi's ! Not impressed this year at all, other years were better

Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 PM

1,991 posts, read 1,912,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Neil E. Boyd, the Opra singer who won AGT in 2008 got his $1M and a Headline show in Vegas, but nobody there put him on a Contract like Terri Fator got. But, he did sign a recording contract with Decca Records and released a CD this past June. He is also doing some touring of military bases.
The ULTIMATE prize in winning AGT, other than the $1M, is getting a Contract in Vegas!
What happened to the runner up last season (Eli Mattson)? I thought he was fantastic. I'm still rooting for Lawrence Beaman this season.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:02 AM

Well, other than the acts that the judges choose to go on, which are the last two on the Results night, the PUBLIC votes on all the rest. In fact, Sharon, David and Piers have been shocked at who the voters have "booted" and the ones the voters wanted to stay. So, obviously, the public isn't that enfluenced by what the judges say!
Just like the small kids that go on the show, they certainly aren't Vegas type acts (age wise), but many of them sure do have talent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
so far I am not impressed with this show. I saw the semi-finals and some of those people should NOT have made it to the semi's ! Not impressed this year at all, other years were better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV