Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

Big Bang Theory, what a stupid name for a show is what I thought the first time I saw it advertized.
Too bad it took us almost three years before we finally watched one episode.
Now we can't stop watching all the repeats just trying to catch up.

Now if those Bozo's at ABC didn't put Last Resort up against the best two shows on TV it might still be going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I think that Leonard is supposed to be the most 'normal' out of them or something...like he's a portal for us into their world - we'd see them through his eyes or something. But he's actually the character I like the least. Attempting so hard to straddle two worlds (albeit them fictional - the geniuses and top level physicists I know socialize just fine) in the way he does makes him seem so insecure.
Also Leonard reminds me of a boy in my class (50 years ago - time flies), genius IQ had skipped 3 grades so amongst freshmen in the class he was a 5/6th grader in age? All he wanted was to be accepted and a part of the group of normal kids.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Big Bang Theory, what a stupid name for a show is what I thought the first time I saw it advertized.
Too bad it took us almost three years before we finally watched one episode.
Now we can't stop watching all the repeats just trying to catch up.

Now if those Bozo's at ABC didn't put Last Resort up against the best two shows on TV it might still be going strong.
I avoided the show for the first few years because on the outside it seemed like a Roseanne reunion (Galecki, Sara Gilbert, and Laurie Metcalf). Finally this past spring when I found myself out of work I was looking for stuff to watch and started getting into it. Now it is among my top 5 favorite shows.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
And I'm back. I watched two and a half episodes and feel more secure in my critique.

Overall, it's your typical bland, predictable sitcom with too much laugh track and not enough wit. A good show to have on in the background while you're cooking dinner or something and you don't feel like paying attention.

But...my goodness, Sheldon is a terrible character. Which is a shame because I think Jim Parsons is cool, but his character lacks all charm and humor. His words are often intentionally cruel and rarely cleverly delivered. And I completely understand that he's a genius lacking in social graces, but that's a common archetype in television and most other hyper intelligent d-bags manage to win you over in other ways. Sheldon didn't win me over at all, he mostly made me want to punch him in the face.

On the positive side, I thought the opening credits were really well done. Highlight of the show.

P.S. BBT and two and a half men were created by the same man. My comparison in their quality was accurate.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And I'm back. I watched two and a half episodes and feel more secure in my critique.

Overall, it's your typical bland, predictable sitcom with too much laugh track and not enough wit. A good show to have on in the background while you're cooking dinner or something and you don't feel like paying attention.

But...my goodness, Sheldon is a terrible character. Which is a shame because I think Jim Parsons is cool, but his character lacks all charm and humor. His words are often intentionally cruel and rarely cleverly delivered. And I completely understand that he's a genius lacking in social graces, but that's a common archetype in television and most other hyper intelligent d-bags manage to win you over in other ways. Sheldon didn't win me over at all, he mostly made me want to punch him in the face.

On the positive side, I thought the opening credits were really well done. Highlight of the show.

P.S. BBT and two and a half men were created by the same man. My comparison in their quality was accurate.
I'm pretty sure PBS is available in most areas. You can often find opera and ballet on them.

Just be sure to avoid the British sitcoms they show, as the humor is quite low brow.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I respectfully disagree. There is some atrocious tv out there that people call comedy (Family Guy and Southpark to name two) but I find Big Bang Theory hysterically funny. I also have to disagree with the comparison between BBT and 2 1/2 Men. Chuck Lorre created also Grace Under Fire and Dharma and Greg but in my opinion none of those shows can really be compared to one another.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
At first and for a long time I disliked Leonard because he was so needy and controlling and I thought Penny should stay away from him.

And also because he reminded me of my ex-husband in that department.

But last night I watched a rerun of when his mom visited him the first time and I realized he is that way because she was such a cold fish. I actually felt sorry for him. Poor guy, no wonder he is looking for validation in the love department and is afraid of being abandoned.

But still, he needs to get over it because Penny is not the type of woman to play mommy for him. He has matured a lot though, I think maybe he has become more socially aware than the rest.

But let's face it, it's the nerdiness that keeps us laughing. Without it they would just be three more ordinary sitcom guys.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM

The problem with Leonard is that he is insanely passive aggressive and he overthinks everything.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Quote:

We get it - you don't like the show. Hey, it's all subjective. I love BBT but can't stand "Friends" which was insanely popular. I don't like the characters, etc, etc...

Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The problem with Leonard is that he is insanely passive aggressive and he overthinks everything.
He does overthink things doesn't he. Probably because he is so insecure. He cannot believe that Penny could like him. Poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV