Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM

987 posts, read 1,746,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
slghtly off topic but really not.....Saw the New Priceline commercial last night......if they don't somehow work that into a show they are really missing the boat.
So True!! Would be really cool to see Shatner on the show, he is long overdue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think they have. Leonard and Sheldon had a fight over where to set the thermostat in their apartment? Sheldon wanted complete control and Leonard wanted to change it. I don't remember much else but I think air conditioning was mentioned. Anyone remember this episode? Penny hears then fighting and Leonard comes over to escape from Sheldon and she makes a comment about her neighbors fighting meaning the two of them.
LOL I remember that! That was a good scene.

I was thinking more of the AC at work, though, since the writers could claim it's controlled by the school and is set super cold for the sake of some piece of equipment. Thus explaining the layers. And also, providing a great set up for a plot. Can't you see the guys deciding it's just too damn cold and figuring out some convuoluted way to get that AC under their control?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
slghtly off topic but really not.....Saw the New Priceline commercial last night......if they don't somehow work that into a show they are really missing the boat.
I must have missed this commercial. Anyone got a link? Or a description?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
I'm watching tonight - so it must be a rerun. I'm beginning to think that Stuart is a sleeper on this show. He is really quite funny and has a great quirky sense of humor. He's a great foil to the seriousness of the other guys. He just talked them into all buying something about the "Lords of Ka'a" and as he rang them up, he muttered, "Like shooting nerds in a barrel." (this is the episode where Stuart asks Amy out.)

Frankly in some shows I'm just not all that amused by Sheldon. He's going to have to grow or develop a little to keep him interesting. He's becoming too predictable.

But I still love the show.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think they have. Leonard and Sheldon had a fight over where to set the thermostat in their apartment? Sheldon wanted complete control and Leonard wanted to change it. I don't remember much else but I think air conditioning was mentioned. Anyone remember this episode? Penny hears then fighting and Leonard comes over to escape from Sheldon and she makes a comment about her neighbors fighting meaning the two of them.
It's the same episode where they explain why the elevator doesn't work. Leonard is explaining why he puts up with Sheldon.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Frankly in some shows I'm just not all that amused by Sheldon. He's going to have to grow or develop a little to keep him interesting. He's becoming too predictable.

But I still love the show.
Agreed about Sheldon--they've turned him into too much of a cliche, and as you point out that makes his character too predictable. Time for him to get a new interest or have a growth experience of some sort.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Agreed about Sheldon--they've turned him into too much of a cliche, and as you point out that makes his character too predictable. Time for him to get a new interest or have a growth experience of some sort.
Emotional growth is the ideal, remaining a lifelong prisoner of your pathology of personality is the norm. At his current age, there is no reason to expect Sheldon's character to go through any alterations to its basic nature.

The sort of metamorphosis you reference exists in novels, movies and tv to a far greater degree than it exists in reality. Scrooge and George Foreman aside, most of us are more or less the same people at age sixty as we were at age twenty.

The show has taken Amy from her original low key, analytical character, and changed her into a hormone crazed, teen level luster. Most of the people in this thread have complained about this change, citing it as a negative for the show. You want the same for Sheldon?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I must have missed this commercial. Anyone got a link? Or a description?
Here you go!

Priceline Shocker: The Negotiator's Secret Daughter Revealed! - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The show has taken Amy from her original low key, analytical character, and changed her into a hormone crazed, teen level luster. Most of the people in this thread have complained about this change, citing it as a negative for the show. You want the same for Sheldon?
Dramatic changes of main characters usually portend the coming cancelation of the program because it means that the writers have runout of ideas to support what made the show great in the first place. But then TV programs (with very few exceptions) are not immortal, not even the Guiding Light.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dramatic changes of main characters usually portend the coming cancelation of the program because it means that the writers have runout of ideas to support what made the show great in the first place. But then TV programs (with very few exceptions) are not immortal, not even the Guiding Light.
The Happy Days Fonzie character probably represents the ultimate in sit com metamorphosis. He began as a side character who was supposed to be the corrupting influence in Richie Cunningham's life, and finished as the neighborhood champion for all that was virtuous. The runner up might be Hot Lips from MASH who began as an intolerant martinet consumed with career advancement and ended as Florence Nightingale.

I suspect that part of what makes Breaking Bad so popular is that the show had the guts to go the other way...beginning with a virtuous man and morphing him into a monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV