Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Come on. The interacton with Sheldon and the dean(is that what she was?) were classic.

"lemme tie my shoes while you think about that" (or whatever she said) was classic. It's about time they started with the "Im hotter than anyone your friends know" angle.

I found the episode funny and will love anything that has Kaley in a dress like that.
I loved last nights new episode. It was well done, hilarious and entertaining. For me it was one of the better shows we had for a long time. Had several laughs, even my DH who doesn't laugh much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
I agree with thinking the writers are a bit burn out. They should rotate some new writers in for a fresh perspective. I know Seinfeld used to rotate and interchange writers every few seasons. I think it worked well for them and Big Bang could benefit from a similar move. As someone else suggested, there is plenty of places these characters can go, unlike some shows that tend to hit a dead end this many seasons in. so there is hope. I think of HIMYM. Love that show, but they seem to be scraping the barrel on keeping the thing going. That's not the issue with BBT in my opinion. I do think this season is the weakest yet. Hopefully they can rebound next season.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
. I do think this season is the weakest yet. Hopefully they can rebound next season.
Next season might be better than this season, but it is extremely unlikely that the series will return to the quality level it enjoyed years 1-5.

Can you think of any long running series where the best episodes were produced in the seventh year or later? I thought"Friends" had the lowest quality dip of any long term sit com and it still experienced a quality dip in the last few years.

Part of it is creative burnout on the part of everyone involved with the show and part of it is viewer burnout.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
The black lady is the HR director for the university.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
I think Sheldon's quirks used to be funny when they were all new to us, but now I'm getting frustrated with him. The other characters are evolving and growing. Any changes in his behavior are at the direct prompting of others. The fact that he's stuck -- is that pathetic or funny? Or does he have a disorder that really has no treatment, and what you see is what you get -- thus eliciting our sympathy.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I thought it was pretty funny or at least had some funny moments especially when Penny took off her jacket and showed off her intended "contribution" to Leonard's tenure prospects and then Sheldon asking "Did she do it?" The look Amy gave him was hysterical and Raj looking at Penny and then looking again was also funny.

What was a little disturbing to me though was Sheldon's comment in the very end about his not ever liking the idea of coitus. And then Amy really gave him a look. I couldn't help wonder if that means she is going to give up on him and maybe we won't be seeing her anymore. After all, she has been trying to steer him in that direction. She has been hoping he would be a regular boyfriend in every sense of the word. Now he has come out and said he isn't interested in sex so where does she go from there?

There are asexual people in the world, they just have no interest. It's just the way they are. If Sheldon is that way, Amy is just going to have to accept him for what he is or move on. I can't figure out if the writers were trying to be funny or were they trying to set us up to tell us and Amy something about their future relationship.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Sheldon had been moving toward a physical relationship, he had held hands with her and held her once when she was sad. But I agree he seems to have evolved the least of the characters.

I know its TV show, but in the real world, he'd have been fired for giving gifts to the tenure committee, especially ones that are racially insensitive.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I can't figure out if the writers were trying to be funny or were they trying to set us up to tell us and Amy something about their future relationship.
Since this is sitcom land, I can picture Amy's character becoming so frustrated that she gives Sheldon an ultimatum. OR, she proposes sex in the interest of an experiment. Somehow, they end up doing it, and Sheldon's physical responses take over and he becomes addicted to "coitus", much to his displeasure and Amy's delight. And then of course he accuses the guys of holding out on him, for not telling him how much he would enjoy it and look how much he's missed out on all these years.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I suspect that if Sheldon ever does have sex, it will be saved for the final episode of the series.

Thinking that far ahead....what sorts of things will they be doing when it comes time to call the show a wrap? I'm thinking a Leonard/Penny wedding, A Howard/Bernadette baby, Raj goes back to India to assume the directorship of some critical scientific program, and Sheldon gets laid, presumably by Amy. Leonard and Penny honeymoon on the set of the movie where Penny has finally landed a bit part.

After that we see them no more except that they all do cameo style appearances on the spinoff "Stuart and Kripke" which gets canceled after seven episodes.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I think Sheldon's quirks used to be funny when they were all new to us, but now I'm getting frustrated with him. The other characters are evolving and growing. Any changes in his behavior are at the direct prompting of others. The fact that he's stuck -- is that pathetic or funny? Or does he have a disorder that really has no treatment, and what you see is what you get -- thus eliciting our sympathy.
I think Sheldon's character is actually changing too much.

For instance, Raj said "screw it, I'm going in" and Sheldon is somehow able to say "That's what I said to your mother last night." Come on, in no remote universe is Sheldon able to connect the dots and make that smart remark.

Otherwise, I loved the episode and I'm not really sure why people are griping about it. I thought it was hilarious when he visited the HR lady and once again gave an inappropriate gift. Then, he says something along these lines after he leaves, "Who is next on the tenure committee, ahh, Mr. Lee (I think??), and he is getting a whole collection of Jackie Chan movies."

I liked the interaction between Sheldon, Amy, and Penny. Also, it was pretty hilarious to hear Raj rant about not being able to get a seat warmer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV