Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Newhart is a classic, great episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Has Newhart suffered a stroke? He seemed to have a slight speech defect and there seemed to be something wrong with his mouth. While I didn't expect an 83 year old man to be doing slapstick physical comedy, he just looked old and tired to me.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Oh and good comedic TV characters don't need to "grow" and "develope" that's lazy writing and for a show who has no ideas left.

Did Seinfeld grow? Did the cast of Cheers all decide "hey we should grow up and stop hanging in this bar"? Think about what you're saying.
Some of the best comedies come from characters trying to break out of themselves, and failing miserably. George and Jerry tried to mature, stop their serial dating and became engaged. Both failed! Sam tried to be in a long-term relationships and stop his womanizing ways, but that just wasn't him! And Cliff had a very difficult time in trying not to be a "mama's boy."

I'm still not quite believing that Howard could give up his disgusting, skanky lifestyle and settle down with Bernadette. That seems to be SO out of character. He was extremely creative in his attempts to pick up women -- now he's so bland!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Has Newhart suffered a stroke? He seemed to have a slight speech defect and there seemed to be something wrong with his mouth. While I didn't expect an 83 year old man to be doing slapstick physical comedy, he just looked old and tired to me.
Yeah, I was uncomfortable with his appearance, he seemed barely able to get through the scenes. While that is understandable for an 83 year old, it does not make for good television. That same sort of painful to watch experience was generated when Mary Tyler Moore made a guest appearance on "That '70's Show." She seemed very physically debilitated and obviously was having to concentrate hard just to remember her lines.

When this sort of thing happens, the viewer's mind isn't on the comedy being produced, it is on concern that the old timer won't die on us before the scene is over.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Well, Dr. Proton will be back twice next season, according to reports. While I enjoyed his two long running series and his deadpan delivery was still there, it was still painful to watch.

Notice he was seated for most of the show. We saw him sitting on his suitcase in the first scene. He did walk up the stairs, but that could have been a body double for all we know. He sat much of the time in the apartment and was lying down for his last two scenes.

He does promos on MeTV (a network for old shows), so I was prepared for how he looked and was afraid it would go like it did.

I don't think Howard's change is hard to beleive. In my early 20s, I wasn't much different than him. Then I met my wife, to whom I've been married to for almost 19 years. Sometimes all it takes is meeting the right woman.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Loved the Bob Newhart episode last night! As a kid in the 70s I loved the Bob Newhart show (thank God for reruns on MeTV and Family Net TV!), but he's definitely slower now, but still has that comedic timing and deadpan wit I knew and loved! Bob Newhart = Living legend!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I thought it was interesting that Amy wasn't in this episode. Certainly she also watched Dr. Proton or would have opinions about his show. While Sheldon might not want to share Dr. Proton with Amy, if he could share with Leonard, then I would have included her.

I always like seeing Bob Newhart. At 83, he is still working and that says a lot.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
"YOU'RE the genius!" LOL LOL LOL I laughed so loud I scared my dog.

Loved Bob Newhart. His timing was perfect. Perfect casting. Aside from Stephen Hawking, Stan Lee or LeVar
Burton, have we seen Sheldon get so amped to be in the presence of someone? I loved watching Sheldon hang on every word Prof Proton said.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Bob Newhart was famous even when he was a young man for his slight stammering. It was part of his routine. He started out in the 50's doing standup. His act used to include telephone conversations using a telephone as a prop. Later on in his first show they often incorporated phone conversations in the plots.

His speech in the BBT was a bit slower but his timing wasn't. I thought he did great. As an old fogey myself, I sometimes find that some of the dialogue on today's sitcoms goes a bit too fast and garbled. I didn't mind his slower speech one bit. And I have always thought the stammering added to his charm. It's just a part of his character.

I agree with SXMGirl who said they should have invited Amy Farah Fowler. Or maybe Amy was above all that.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Bob Newhart was famous even when he was a young man for his slight stammering. It was part of his routine. He started out in the 50's doing standup. His act used to include telephone conversations using a telephone as a prop. Later on in his first show they often incorporated phone conversations in the plots.

His speech in the BBT was a bit slower but his timing wasn't. I thought he did great. As an old fogey myself, I sometimes find that some of the dialogue on today's sitcoms goes a bit too fast and garbled. I didn't mind his slower speech one bit. And I have always thought the stammering added to his charm. It's just a part of his character.

I agree with SXMGirl who said they should have invited Amy Farah Fowler. Or maybe Amy was above all that.

I always loved the way Bob Newhart slowly delivered some of his lines! I definitely enjoyed last night's episode (Raj and Cinnamon were just kinda "meh" for me lol).

When Bob Newhart clutched his chest, all I thought was, "OMG, how is Sheldon going to react if he dies right there?!" I enjoyed the ending--Prof. Proton just accepted Sheldon with all his craziness. Definitely some good lines. I loved Penny in this episode too. I think it was more fun to see her amazed with science. AFF would have been nice too, but I don't know if it would have been as funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV