Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I'm curious about TV series writing in general... how far into the future do they plot out their characters' lives? At the beginning of the season, do they have major plot points that they want to hit? Or is it more organic, evolving as the characters develop with each episode? Frequently, minor characters become part of the show, based on how popular they are received. People were wild about Amy, but not Lucy. Amy's now one of the ensemble, and Lucy's gone after a few eps.
I believe most shows start each season off with a general story arc for all the major subplots that year, including new characters. But it may get tweaked depending on how plots/characters are received. Or if other things happen, such as an actress becoming pregnant in real life. Scripts are written throughout the year, but a few of the preplanned story arcs may be incorporated into the story or added to a script submitted by someone not on the writing team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I'm curious about TV series writing in general... how far into the future do they plot out their characters' lives? At the beginning of the season, do they have major plot points that they want to hit? Or is it more organic, evolving as the characters develop with each episode? Frequently, minor characters become part of the show, based on how popular they are received. People were wild about Amy, but not Lucy. Amy's now one of the ensemble, and Lucy's gone after a few eps.
But do we know that Lucy is gone for sure? She could have just been a vehicle for Raj to begin talking to women but they could possibly bring her back. Who knows but the writers.

If they don't bring her back, it was probably planned all along not to. Maybe if she had been wildly popular they would have but it's not very likely.

They brought back Bernadette and she remained pretty much the same as when we first met her but I always thought it was interesting that they brought back Amy and changed her character.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

They brought back Bernadette and she remained pretty much the same as when we first met her but I always thought it was interesting that they brought back Amy and changed her character.
Still not sure why they felt a need to change Amy. I thought she was more fun when she was more Sheldon-esque herself, and not so needy for Sheldon's attention.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Still not sure why they felt a need to change Amy. I thought she was more fun when she was more Sheldon-esque herself, and not so needy for Sheldon's attention.
So did I. I loved when she ask for tepid water on their first date. And when she and Sheldon where skyping and Sheldon told her someone was knocking on his door and her response was "That doesn't interest me" and shut down her computer, that just cracked me up.

I liked the old Amy better. Those two would have been just as funny but I think the purpose of changing Amy was to change Sheldon. In the scene where Penny asked Sheldon if he and Amy were ever going to "do it" and Sheldon said possibly that changed things. Later Sheldon told Leonard that he thought Amy had already changed him somewhat emotionally already. They had even held hands!

So I guess we had to have Amy to change Sheldon. The question is, did we want Sheldon to change?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Me too, I liked the Amy character a lot more before they decided to change her into Mrs. Roper.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Me too, I liked the Amy character a lot more before they decided to change her into Mrs. Roper.
LOL LOL You're absolutely right! That's exactly who she reminds me of now.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I preferred old Amy as well. But I think, Minervah, you are right and that is what the writers had in mind. They probably saw some comic element in making Sheldon show humanity and they used Amy to do that.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I would like to see some brilliant and beautiful woman just sweep Sheldon off of his feet. Maybe someone interviewing him or just someone who he meets at the university. He is so attracted to her and doesn't know what to do. Not his assistant, who I am not sure if even part of the show any longer.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I would like to see some brilliant and beautiful woman just sweep Sheldon off of his feet. Maybe someone interviewing him or just someone who he meets at the university. He is so attracted to her and doesn't know what to do. Not his assistant, who I am not sure if even part of the show any longer.
Interesting idea. No, not the assistant. She was boring. Leonard's mom.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM

^^ It would have to be a short lived affair, of course, since Christine Baranski is now busy with The Goodwife.

Amy could have her own affair with Kripke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV