Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Question about the internet dating scene with Raj and Stuart: how realistic was that?

Online dating is before my time, so I confess I don't know much about it. Is it realistic that they would get that many people looking at their post within such a short time?

Also, does it really "ding" every time some looks at it? If you get as many people reading your posts as we do here on city-data I'd think all that dinging would get annoying.

Do people really hang out just to see how many people are checking them out?

Those guys should have used that site that matched up Amy and Sheldon. Anyway, these questions aside it seemed like a good scene. Liked Stuart's various photo poses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Last night's show was OK, but not my fave by any means. Mayim Bialik looks different! Better, but her costuming was the same. Has she lost a little weight? Or something else? I think I've stated that I find Amy's character quite ripe for further development. She didn't have too much to do in last night's episode though, except right at first.

IMO, they are wasting Christine Baranski who is capable of so much more, even in a few lines of dialogue. OK, we get it. Dr. Hofstadter is not a nurturing mother. Find some nuance in this character, OK?

I have no idea about online dating. But I am glad Stuart and Raj are trying to date, and together too. They might be as good a comedic team as Howard and Raj are. I'd like to see a little more. I think their timing might be really click with a little more screen time together.

Anyone see Kunal Nayyar on Letterman last night? I just saw the promos.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Its probably hard for Baranski to have too big a role on the show due to her other job. The Skype thing is a good idea as she could do that in Dianne Lockhart's office. Since Leonard's mother lives on the east coast, it isn't logical for her too appear in person very often.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Question about the internet dating scene with Raj and Stuart: how realistic was that?

Online dating is before my time, so I confess I don't know much about it. Is it realistic that they would get that many people looking at their post within such a short time?

Also, does it really "ding" every time some looks at it? If you get as many people reading your posts as we do here on city-data I'd think all that dinging would get annoying.

Do people really hang out just to see how many people are checking them out?

Those guys should have used that site that matched up Amy and Sheldon. Anyway, these questions aside it seemed like a good scene. Liked Stuart's various photo poses.
There is a certain "new meat" phenomena, you get bombarded when you first out up a profile but then it dies down. I never used a site with a ping, but it's possible that it's like Facebook , where you can set tp ping your phone or computer when you get notifications or messages.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:46 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Last night's show was OK, but not my fave by any means. Mayim Bialik looks different! Better, but her costuming was the same. Has she lost a little weight? Or something else? I think I've stated that I find Amy's character quite ripe for further development. She didn't have too much to do in last night's episode though, except right at first.

IMO, they are wasting Christine Baranski who is capable of so much more, even in a few lines of dialogue. OK, we get it. Dr. Hofstadter is not a nurturing mother. Find some nuance in this character, OK?

I have no idea about online dating. But I am glad Stuart and Raj are trying to date, and together too. They might be as good a comedic team as Howard and Raj are. I'd like to see a little more. I think their timing might be really click with a little more screen time together.

She might have. I saw a photo of her dressed up in People and she looked thin.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I am old, Caladium, so I have never used an online dating service but I have used my "ping" feature in the form of an alert with a recording of Morticia Addams telling me "Mails In" when I received certain mail. You can set your computer up to do that.

A younger friend of mine, much younger used a dating service and got bombarded with looky-lous within the first few hours. Then they tapered off into just a few after that. It's kind of like the first sharks swarming to a fresh kill.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'd like to see a few episodes where they set up double dates with girls they meet through this site. Just imagine the possibilities and oddball matches. And they could work in a few workplace jokes by making one of the dates someone who works in a lab at Cal Tech. Or maybe they could take a date to see some science/nerdy event on campus. I could just see the guys thinking that would be a great place to take a date.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I saw Mayim Balik on the "Katie" just last week. Every time I see her on a talk show she looks so much nicer than when she is on the BBT. I think they really ugly her up for that show. On "Katie" she talked about how she usually doesn't wear makeup or get dressed up unless she is doing a talk show or making other appearances but she doesn't go around dressed in baggy clothes either.

She really looked nice on "Katie." I think she has lost weight. Her eyes are very pretty when she has makeup on them and they are not covered by heavy eyeglass frames. I would love to see her "Blossom" series again.

I am also a big fan of Raj and Stuart.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Its probably hard for Baranski to have too big a role on the show due to her other job. The Skype thing is a good idea as she could do that in Dianne Lockhart's office. Since Leonard's mother lives on the east coast, it isn't logical for her too appear in person very often.
Yes I get that. But its still the same old, same old. You can add nuance to a few lines of dialog. You can add a new wrinkle in some way. But it is the same as before. And I think the joke has gotten old. Someone here suggested that Mrs. Wolowitz's one note treatment has gotten old. I think that is the case for both of these mothers.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I think it is time for Mary Cooper and Beverly Hofstadter to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV