Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 04:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times

Advertisements

They seem to have dropped the bit about Amy's weird fetish with Penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Good.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
They finally wised up about that. Penny is the normal center of the show, the character with whom the largest segment of the audience identifies and it is through her eyes that we are viewing this little world of nerdy scientists. As our pov, when something makes Penny uncomfortable, it is making the audience uncomfortable. Consequently the audience didn't just see, it felt the awkwardness created by Amy's inappropriate worship of Penny.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
They finally wised up about that. Penny is the normal center of the show, the character with whom the largest segment of the audience identifies and it is through her eyes that we are viewing this little world of nerdy scientists. As our pov, when something makes Penny uncomfortable, it is making the audience uncomfortable. Consequently the audience didn't just see, it felt the awkwardness created by Amy's inappropriate worship of Penny.
I could swear that there was a reference to this in the last show, but I can't call it to mind.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Who says that's who Sheldon is? He's a fictional character, and the beauty of that is they can easily change him, if they wish.

In fact, that's the problem--Sheldon has been changing, but not in a good way. Like many quirky characters, he's falling victim to Sitcom Writer Syndrome. Every year they make his quirks more and more extreme, trying to see how far they can push it. As noted earlier, sit com writers have a bad habit of doing this.

The good new is they can undo it, if they so choose. But sit com writers are sometimes more clueless than the characters they create.
I agree with this! Sheldon used to be sort of nutty and socially awkward, but he has become less likeable than before. We did get that nice scene with Amy after they were all playing Dungeons and Dragons last season. That scene showed the range of Parsons and Bialik, and I don't know why the two characters cannot have more of these.

I seem to remember that Amy had an unhappy look on her face as she closed the door on Sheldon after he came to her door at night at the end of the last epi. We might see some more of this before a break later in the season. But, really, I don't imagine the long term goal of the show is to have them break up.

And don't forget there will be a TBBT show on Monday night of next week. I assume there will be the regular Thursday night as well, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And don't forget there will be a TBBT show on Monday night of next week. I assume there will be the regular Thursday night as well, but perhaps I am mistaken.
I was wondering about that, too.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Penny is supposed to represent the normal person?
For real?

I shudder.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I tried to get into the but the "sheldon character" is just too weird for me
I do think they overplay that charactor.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Penny is supposed to represent the normal person?
For real?

I shudder.
I tend to think of Leonard as being the normal person--he's more typical of the people you'd meet in my circle of friends. And more typical of the people I knew when I lived in LA, where I knew lots of aerospace workers, engineers and scientists. I knew some writers and technicians in the entertainment industry, but very few actresses. And I don't think I knew anyone who never get acting jobs but could afford to live in an apartment like that without a roommate.

I'm glad they are now shying away from Amy's weird obsession with Penny, Raj's weird obsession with Howard, etc. The "latent homosexuality" jokes probably work better on another show, but they didn't really jibe with BBT. So they were funny at first, as something unexpected, but then it got tiresome. It felt awkward, too--like it got in the way of the humor that more naturally fits with this show.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yes. To me, everyone but Sheldon seems more normal, and Penny is the dumb pet they keep around.

The difference being the social awkwardness. None of the genius/nerd types I know are social misfits as adults. In fact, most of them are holding all the cards in the dating world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV