Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I liked the original Sheldon better. He used to be a really odd duck, but still believable. Now he's a little too cartoonish for my taste. I thought it was funnier when he was savvier about the world, but chose to be different. The hopelessly oblivious schtick is ok, but not as funny, IMO.
I agree with this comment. Most characters get more rounded as TV series progress. Sheldon was much more believable in the dialogue from the pilot.

QUOTES FROM ‘PILOT’ Air Date: September 24th 2007.

Leonard: Our children will be smart and beautiful!
Sheldon: Not to mention imaginary.

Penny: So, what do you guys do for fun around here?
Sheldon: Well, today we tried masturbating for money.

Sheldon: Do you want to hear an interesting thing about stairs?
Leonard: Not really!
Sheldon: If the height of a step is off by as little as two millimeters, most people will trip.
Leonard: I don't care. 2 millime--? That's doesn't seem right.
Sheldon: It's true. I did a series of experiments when I was 12. My father broke his clavicle.
Leonard: Is that why they sent you to boarding school?
Sheldon: No. That was the result of my work with lasers.

Leonard: Come on! We have a combined IQ of 360 we should be able to figure out how to get into a stupid building.
*Two girls selling cookies ring every bell, the door opens*
Sheldon: What do you think their combined IQ is ?

Leonard: What makes you think she wouldn't have sex with me? I'm a male and she's a female.
Sheldon: Yes, but not of the same species.

Sheldon: It has been some time since we had a woman take her clothes off in our apartment.
Leonard: That's not true, remember at Thanksgiving, my Grandmother with Alzheimer's had that episode?
Sheldon: Point taken, it has been some time since we had a woman take her clothes off after which we didn't wanna rip our eyes out.
Leonard: The worst part was watching her carve that turkey.

Penny: Would it be weird if I used your shower?
Leonard: No.
Sheldon: Yes.
Leonard: (to Sheldon) No!
Sheldon: No?
Leonard: No!
Sheldon: (to Penny) No.

Sheldon: I don't know what your odds are in the world as a whole but as far as the population of this car goes you're a veritable mack daddy.

Penny: I’m a Sagittarius, which probably tells you way more than you need to know.
Sheldon: Yes, it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun’s apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.
Penny: (puzzled) Participate in the what?

Penny: (after seeing Leonard and Sheldon pantsed) I'm so sorry. I really thought if you guys went instead of me, he wouldn't be such an ass.
Leonard: No, it was a valid hypothesis.
Sheldon: "Was a valid hypo" - what is happening to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
What's a mack daddy?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
What's a mack daddy?
"Mack Daddy", is a term used to describe a man with an unusual power over women, and is derived from the Louisiana Creole patois term "maqereau", which means "pimp". Adding "daddy" makes it mean "top pimp". The '70's black-exploitation movie "The Mack", a dramatization of the life of a street pimp, furthered the popularity of the term in urban America.

The use of the term by Sheldon in the pilot indicates a clever observational wit. In recent episodes he seems to be a man child who at the age of 40 knows less about sex than your average 13 year old boy with access to the internet.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Wow...I went through the 70's and I don't remember ever hearing that expression before! But then again, I spent part of the 70's overseas with very limited contact with Americans. Sheldon knows the technical info about sex, but thinks it's disgusting and beneath him. He's a bit clueless about the popular cultural knowledge about sex, however.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
"Mack Daddy", is a term used to describe a man with an unusual power over women, and is derived from the Louisiana Creole patois term "maqereau", which means "pimp". Adding "daddy" makes it mean "top pimp". The '70's black-exploitation movie "The Mack", a dramatization of the life of a street pimp, furthered the popularity of the term in urban America.

The use of the term by Sheldon in the pilot indicates a clever observational wit. In recent episodes he seems to be a man child who at the age of 40 knows less about sex than your average 13 year old boy with access to the internet.
Ohhhh. That's why a fan of a local football team used to call himself the WAC Daddy when we were in the WAC conference. His persona is a pimp. Glad I learned why, even tho I am several years late.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:

There you go. And they say that television isn't educational.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I was familiar with the term "Mack Daddy" and recently saw the rerun of the episode where Sheldon told Leonard he was that in comparison to Howard too. They've shown that one at least several times.

I always got the impression that Sheldon got that term from his father just like he learned the rules of football from him. I think he has made a few references to other comments his father made in other episodes as well as other descriptions his father would give people and situations. That had to have been one of them.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

I thought it meant mackerel.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
See, this points out the problem with trying to make Sheldon clueless (as opposed to the original idea that he was savvy about the world but chose to follow his own path). Sheldon is supposed to be in his upper 20s. Even if he was in his upper 30s, he still would have had plenty of access to the internet while growing up--logically, it would have been his escape if he was being bullied and shunned by other kids. It's not believable that anyone using the internet in the 80s and 90s would not have been exposed to sex. Even if he wasn't all that interested, he would have seen enough spam ads by age 10 to be an expert. And it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't have tried to research what the ads were talking about, since he likes to think he's knowledgeable about everything.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
See, this points out the problem with trying to make Sheldon clueless (as opposed to the original idea that he was savvy about the world but chose to follow his own path). Sheldon is supposed to be in his upper 20s. Even if he was in his upper 30s, he still would have had plenty of access to the internet while growing up--logically, it would have been his escape if he was being bullied and shunned by other kids. It's not believable that anyone using the internet in the 80s and 90s would not have been exposed to sex. Even if he wasn't all that interested, he would have seen enough spam ads by age 10 to be an expert. And it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't have tried to research what the ads were talking about, since he likes to think he's knowledgeable about everything.
While there was no internet during the 80s and early 90s as we now know it, outside of some businesses and research labs, this does seem plausible. He also must have observed plenty of stuff where he was growing up. His mother implying that certain things were bad or taboo would have piqued his interest to find out what she was talking about by just looking it up in the library.

I always thought that by now, all of the characters, except for Penny were over 30. Did they say at what age Sheldon got his PhD? Wasn't it under age 20? By now, he should not be a post-doc but head of his own lab. He did have a graduate school student assistant for a while, but she seems to have disappeared. I do know that some lab heads will only accept one grad student so that did seem realistic. You would think that Amy would have some graduate and undergraduate students working for her too. Her work with the monkeys is not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV