Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 02:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,611,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
When you realize that just a decade ago a typical sitcom had a runtime of 22:10 and Cheers episodes were 24:56, it becomes even more obvious why today's sitcoms seem rushed and feel like they're over before they start. They're 20% shorter than what we grew up on.

The show itself is definitely showing signs of age and is getting stale. I still enjoy it, but it clearly is on a decline.
I am holding out hope that the producers and writers will turn this around and get the show back to the comedic quality we are used to.

Also, the point about the increased time lost to commercials is well noted. I understand that paying the high salaries of the stars of BBT were granted is expensive, but allocating over a 3rd of the 30 minute time slot to commercials seem high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 04:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,692,549 times
The increased commercial time is actually a myth. I have every epsiode in digital form and they range from 21:00 to 22:30ish per episode. That is including the opening theme. Basically there has always been 20-22mins of pure content per episode even before fat contracts. As an example "The Loobenfeld Decay" (just to pick a random season 1 episode) is 20 mins and 12 seconds with commercials removed.

That is all just folks trying to harp on the new deals.

The show is raking in hundreds of millions of dollars in syndication fees. they dont need 30 seconds more of commercials.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:56 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,843,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I am holding out hope that the producers and writers will turn this around and get the show back to the comedic quality we are used to.

Also, the point about the increased time lost to commercials is well noted. I understand that paying the high salaries of the stars of BBT were granted is expensive, but allocating over a 3rd of the 30 minute time slot to commercials seem high.
I think it's too late to turn it around it's done months ahead , they've probable finished this series already

Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,020,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The increased commercial time is actually a myth. I have every epsiode in digital form and they range from 21:00 to 22:30ish per episode. That is including the opening theme. Basically there has always been 20-22mins of pure content per episode even before fat contracts. As an example "The Loobenfeld Decay" (just to pick a random season 1 episode) is 20 mins and 12 seconds with commercials removed.

That is all just folks trying to harp on the new deals.

The show is raking in hundreds of millions of dollars in syndication fees. they dont need 30 seconds more of commercials.
Myth? I have recorded episodes from last season and I checked them out, they ran 20:32. I recorded the most recent broadcast episode and it ran 19:32.

This is not imaginary, it is not harping, it is fact.

Your statement about the show not "needing" more money is a naive one. That concept does not exist in network television, no one ever thinks that they have too much money, or even enough money. The producers have rooms full of Ivy League MBAs whose purpose is to dream up new and inventive ways to squeeze even more profits from these programs. Some one came up with the idea that shortening the opening credits and theme songs meant that more ad time was available to sell. I'm sure that person was acclaimed a genius. Then someone realized that if you ran the opening credits while the episode was underway, that would free up more time to sell ads. That person was acclaimed a genius.

On TBS where TBBT airs in reruns, someone came up with the idea that if they used a split screen to show the closing credits of one episode while simultaneously airing the opening of another episode, that would free up more time......genius...etc.

So, the notion that a tv producer would ever, under any circumstances, turn up his or her nose at additional revenues because "we don't need them"...non starter.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So, the notion that a tv producer would ever, under any circumstances, turn up his or her nose at additional revenues because "we don't need them"...non starter.
Of course but the argument is that everyone got new contracts so we need more advertisers. One really does not mean the other is inevitable. If that were the case then Seinfeld would have been 12 minute episodes.

Picking another episode at random Season 5's "The Infestation Hypothesis" clocked in at 19:27. How do we explain that? POTENTIAL contracts?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Picking another episode at random Season 5's "The Infestation Hypothesis" clocked in at 19:27. How do we explain that? POTENTIAL contracts?
Now why do I suspect that this selection was "random?'

Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Now why do I suspect that this selection was "random?'
season 5 episode 3 - 19:52
5X4 19:35
5x5 21:02
5X6 21:11
5X7 19:26
5X8 20:46
5X9 21:05
5X10 20:18

Do I need to go on? Episodes fluctuate which is what I said initially. Shorter episodes to pay for new contracts is a myth. 7 episodes out of a season prior to new contracts proves that.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
season 5 episode 3 - 19:52
5X4 19:35
5x5 21:02
5X6 21:11
5X7 19:26
5X8 20:46
5X9 21:05
5X10 20:18

Do I need to go on? Episodes fluctuate which is what I said initially. Shorter episodes to pay for new contracts is a myth. 7 episodes out of a season prior to new contracts proves that.
If you add those seven time lengths and take the average, it is 20:34.

Let us wait and see if next week's episode runs 19:32 or returns to longer times.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 PM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's probably the best sitcom on TV. That said, most sitcoms on TV are painfully horrible. Being the best sitcom on American television is like having the best haggis at the feast.
Still a welcome relief from so-called 'reality' shows that appear to be nothing if not scripted.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:10 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,350,970 times
The problem with any show is that after a while, they have run out of things for the people to do. Here it is, ten years since we met them and Penny and the guys still live in the same apartments. Other than Howard, they are pretty much in the same spot in their lives as they were when the show started.

I agree the baseball episode was lame. First, why was he practicing on a basketball court? Cal Tech (the actual school) has a baseball team in real life. So go to the baseball field. And why not ask the baseball coach for help? And why didn't he test the rover before he went onto the field and made a fool 9of himself.

I think Penny's new job is related to her haircut. She wanted it cut, so they gave her a more professional job. But there was no mention of it in the last episode. Not even a side comment or joke about her going on a sales call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV