Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

How I interpret this last episode is that Sheldon is learning to share secrets about himself that he is embarrassed about. The writers had to do this in a typically sit-commy way, and we don't care to think that the character might be creepier than he already is, so they dreamed up this storage locker full of everything he has every owned. In real life, he might have confessed to having some mental illness, or to have a secret obsession, or some other distasteful or difficult to find funny compulsion. Often in relationships people have to come clean about some things in their past, or things that were done to them. You know how this goes. In sit com land, people don't have to face those things except in a very broad and humorous way.

The main thing was how Amy was scripted to react, and I think they got that just right. We can see that Sheldon is embarrassed about some fundamental glitch in his personality, and that Amy still cares for him. Also we can see that their relationship is not progressing very fast. Amy has to go home and talk to Sheldon via computer.

The other plot line was pointless, but very TBBT and could have been funnier.

You can't enforce reality on this show at this point. And I do think plot lines are getting harder to come by. The point is we have grown to care about the characters. So we tune in.

I do agree that Sheldon having a secret locker that no one knows about is not realistic for his character, who cannot drive. I suppose he could visit by bus, but how does he get his stuff into the locker? How did he get it all from TX to the locker? Obviously, this is not realistic. It is sit com land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 11:44 PM

475 posts, read 648,600 times
I have watched every episode numerous times and I believe that the show is actually getting better as the characters grow and mature and so do the story lines. I think those who are complaining enjoyed the earlier seasons more when the guys acted far younger than their ages and the story lines were silly and pure slapstick. I cannot watch the first 3 seasons at all now but really enjoy the past few seasons and season 9!

Old 04-03-2016, 01:11 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes...or....since you are so annoyed by poster complaints about the show, you could stop reading them.
You're missing the point.

Several people here have posted more than once about how much they dislike the series as it now stands. Why would anyone continue watching a show they say they don't enjoy?

Yes, there are episodes that are not very good (such as the anniversary one a few weeks ago), and there are episodes that are very good. The characters are maturing. I would hope that after almost a decade that each of the character would have evolved and matured -- for the good or not so good -- just like real people. I don't want 9 seasons of Raj not being able to talk to women. I don't want 9 seasons of Howard being a total pervert. I don't want 9 seasons of Sheldon being frozen in pre-pubescent ignorance.

When a person stops enjoying a show, it's time for them to move on to other programs.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're missing the point.

I understood the point well enough to satirize it. You are complaining about others complaining.

Pot....meet kettle....

Okay? If complaining is bad in your mind, then you should set the example by stopping. Meanwhile those of us who enjoy critiquing the show's decline, will continue to do so.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
I have watched every episode numerous times and I believe that the show is actually getting better as the characters grow and mature and so do the story lines. I think those who are complaining enjoyed the earlier seasons more when the guys acted far younger than their ages and the story lines were silly and pure slapstick. I cannot watch the first 3 seasons at all now but really enjoy the past few seasons and season 9!
I appreciate your viewpoint. I don't exactly agree that the shows are getting better, but I do think the characters are getting better--as people maturing rather slowly.

I also don't care for some of the early shows, and try to catch the later ones when they come round in syndication. I think I like the show best after the actors found their groove with the characters, and the writers had found some consistency with them.

We don't generally talk about Penny, who has come a long way in maturation, although, she still seems immature. One episode recently had her coping with her older self regarding her power over men. I don't think the episode was especially good, but I got the point.

What some miss is the early immature hijinks and difficulties the friends got into and had to get themselves out of. One would hope that the characters would become more mature with age and experience. And that is what the writers are trying to show us. Unfortunately they often miss the mark these days. But, I still want to think we might get a show as funny and as unexpectedly touching as the one with Amy and Sheldon and an uninvited hanger-on in the railroad car, for instance. Surely there are a few more similar ones waiting to be acted out.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
The main thing was how Amy was scripted to react, and I think they got that just right. We can see that Sheldon is embarrassed about some fundamental glitch in his personality, and that Amy still cares for him. Also we can see that their relationship is not progressing very fast. Amy has to go home and talk to Sheldon via computer.
Completely disagree. Amy just made weird faces the entire episode, and acted annoyed. It was really lazy acting. If she had thought of this as moving their relationship forward, them she might have been excited by knowing his secret, but really she acted like the audience - that this was a waste of her time.

And talking to her via computer was the only thing that felt real - she got him a new 4K display and he wanted to see how it looked. Reminds me of the early 2000s when HDTVs first came out, and they would show the most random stuff on TV filmed in HD just to showcase the technology.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:23 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I still want to think we might get a show as funny and as unexpectedly touching as the one with Amy and Sheldon and an uninvited hanger-on in the railroad car, for instance. Surely there are a few more similar ones waiting to be acted out.
That episode is in my top 5 favourite episodes! Amy pantomiming shooting herself in the head...bang, splat, thud, was epic!

Another unexpected delight was Bernadette in quarantine and Howard singing a song he wrote about her, with the gang as backup singers. Priceless! And the whole song done in one take too!

Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Completely disagree. Amy just made weird faces the entire episode, and acted annoyed. It was really lazy acting. If she had thought of this as moving their relationship forward, them she might have been excited by knowing his secret, but really she acted like the audience - that this was a waste of her time.

And talking to her via computer was the only thing that felt real - she got him a new 4K display and he wanted to see how it looked. Reminds me of the early 2000s when HDTVs first came out, and they would show the most random stuff on TV filmed in HD just to showcase the technology.
I actually did feel that the acting by Bialek struck the right tone. I'm sure I'll see the episode again. I'll keep your comments in mind when I do.

I liked the interaction between Parsons and Bialek, as I often do.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That episode is in my top 5 favourite episodes! Amy pantomiming shooting herself in the head...bang, splat, thud, was epic!

Another unexpected delight was Bernadette in quarantine and Howard singing a song he wrote about her, with the gang as backup singers. Priceless! And the whole song done in one take too!
It might be fun to list our faves. Maybe from early TBBT, middle TBBT and late TBBT?

I have to say, from the middle epis, I enjoyed many of Howard's scenes as he talked with Bernadette from space.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:23 PM

19 posts, read 33,333 times
HO HO HO, You big Dork!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV