Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:04 PM

192 posts, read 864,867 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else gotten hooked on this? What do you think of it?

Any favourite character yet? I love to hate the Sheriff; for some reason he makes me think that if Johnny Fairplay (of prior 'Survivor' infamy ) were to be all grown up, he'd match the Sheriff's character perfectly!

For some reason my favourite character so far is Sir Guy of Gisbourne. He seems "complicated" rather than your garden variety straight-up Bad Guy character. (This may also be a weak rationalization of the fact that I think he's by far the sexiest-looking chap in the series )

For those who remember the old 'Robin of Sherwood' miniseries back in the 1990s (I forget which channel it was on), do you think this series is better or worse than that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Am I the only one who's watching this? Uh-oh...., that does not bode well for its ratings....!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
gagged through the two first episodes.

it's a poor caricature of the original story and older movie versions. the only similarity is the names and general roles of the characters.

even my wife won't watch it, after trying a couple of times, and she's a lot more tolerant of BS programs and poor acting with a PC agenda than I am.

can't wait until they replace it with something worth watching.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Default Oh, goody!

I'm a big fan of Robin Hood movies, esp. the original with Errol Flynn, and Kevin Costner's remake. I'm delighted to see another one.

An aside: I really like Kevin Costner. He's made some spectacularly bad movies (though, I like some of them anyway) but he's really obviously a man of good will.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,627 times
I have not watched it, but my husband is hooked! He seems to really like the show. No matter what we're doing, we could be in the middle of a walk and he'll HAVE to go in and watch it even though he's also recording it! He doesn't do this with any other shows. So there IS at least ONE other fan out there!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM

Dedalus, the new episodes are every Saturday at 9pm Eastern time on the BBC channel. This past Sunday they did a "Tax Day Marathon" of all the episodes back to back, which was convenient for anyone wanting to catch up or start watching. It is also coming out on DVD (I noticed it is on Amazon for pre-sale).

The 'tone' of this series is very different from others I have seen, which is perhaps why sunsprit doesn't like it. It is more lighthearted and doesn't take itself 100% seriously, which I happen to think is refreshing. For instance, some of the episode titles such as "Parent Hood", "The Taxman Cometh" and "Who Shot the Sheriff?" It is not meant to be a comedy by any means, but it is definitely less dark and less serious/mystical than the 'Robin of Sherwood' series was, back in the 1980s which was also a British production. I believe Sean Connery's son, Jason, starred in that series as Robin.

Dedalus, speaking of Sean Connery, have you ever seen 'Robin and Marian' (the movie starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn)? I think you would like that; it's one of my favourites. The movie picks up years after the traditional endpoint of any other Robin Hood movie/series, as you would expect of something made in the mid-late 1970s with those actors.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Dedalus, speaking of Sean Connery, have you ever seen 'Robin and Marian' (the movie starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn)? I think you would like that; it's one of my favourites. The movie picks up years after the traditional endpoint of any other Robin Hood movie/series, as you would expect of something made in the mid-late 1970s with those actors.
I heard about it. It sounds intriguing. They're both excellent actors.

You know that old saw, life begins at 40? I think it's kind of ironic, that's the absolute latest time stories where 'they lived happily ever after' leave off. After that, you're on your own.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:29 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,282 times
Of course I have always been intrigued by any past Robin Hood movies and shows. I've moticed this new series while flipping channels, but I haven't watched it yet. I normally don't care for programs on BBC and I was assuming that would be the same for this one. However if some think it is good, I may try to watch it. Many times when I've loved a movie, song or show, I usually am disappointed with a remake.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 PM

221 posts, read 994,151 times
Ah, just saw this thread.

Windflower, yes, I have seen several eps. of this and found them great fun! I love that they have rather modernized the story this time. It has a bit of drama, romance, camp, action, and heroics. The sheriff is over the top, Robin's men may not always be so merry, and heaven help me, I'd run off with Guy in a nanosecond if I were Marion (only b/c I love Richard Armitage). I haven't seen the second season (we Yanks must wait until April), but I pretty much know what happens (shocking!). The show cannot be everything to everyone, but I enjoy watching it!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
Ah, just saw this thread.

Windflower, yes, I have seen several eps. of this and found them great fun! I love that they have rather modernized the story this time. It has a bit of drama, romance, camp, action, and heroics. The sheriff is over the top, Robin's men may not always be so merry, and heaven help me, I'd run off with Guy in a nanosecond if I were Marion (only b/c I love Richard Armitage). I haven't seen the second season (we Yanks must wait until April), but I pretty much know what happens (shocking!). The show cannot be everything to everyone, but I enjoy watching it!
Richard Armitage is plenty enough reason to watch Robin Hood, he's fantastic... Especially in the Vicar of Dibley....

thearmitagearmy.co.uk :: Fan Site for the Actor Richard Armitage of North and South, Robin Hood, The Vicar of Dibley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV