U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:17 PM

649 posts, read 2,322,883 times

Advertisements

Anyone else watching "The Tudors" on Showtime? 3 episodes in, and DH and I are hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM

192 posts, read 754,850 times
I saw the first two episodes online (a freebie from my Internet provider) although I don't subscribe to Showtime. I'm a history junkie who knows that era backward and forwards, so I was interested to see how they handled it.

From what I saw, they've definitely taken what I call the "b**bs and blood" approach... just like the miniseries 'Rome' which was on one of the movie networks (I forget which, as I get neither but I rented some of the DVDs in the series when it was released; again, out of curiosity).

I wasn't impressed, but again... I think the best version of the Henry VIII saga to date is the Masterpiece Theatre 'Six Wives of...' from back in the 1970s. It was so well done that they didn't have to introduce any look-Ma-no-censors frills.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 AM

13,360 posts, read 38,379,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
I wasn't impressed, but again... I think the best version of the Henry VIII saga to date is the Masterpiece Theatre 'Six Wives of...' from back in the 1970s. It was so well done that they didn't have to introduce any look-Ma-no-censors frills.
Agree.
I don't get Showtime and have not seen The Tudors.
I know that when he first became King, Henry was certainly not the bloated walrus he later became, but still, I just don't see Jonathan Rhys Myers as the young King Henry. Not sure I'll ever rent the series because I can't get past that. But I do love historical series, so I might change my mind.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 AM

649 posts, read 2,322,883 times
I agree, the writers have played a little loose with some historical facts, and the main characters don't really physically resemble their historical counterparts, but I love historical drama too. The costumes and the settings are magnificent. Hopefully it will inspire viewers to learnn more about the history and people of that era.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM

192 posts, read 754,850 times
Talking about the costuming and historical accuracy... A few months back I caught the last few minutes of the show 'Ugly Betty', only because it was on just prior to something else I wanted to watch. Apparantly it was one of the early-season episodes. Anyway, the first thing I noticed was that the lead character, Betty, was wearing a replica of the necklace worn by Anne Boleyn in the wellknown portrait (the pearl choker with the huge letter B hanging from the centre and then pearls suspended from the B). I did a double- and then a triple-take when I saw it! I wonder how many people who watch the show know where the necklace design came from, and am even more curious as to why the show's producers would have had their character wear THAT necklace. I don't follow the show so I have no idea if it was ever explained in the plot.

Not exactly an optimistic thing to have your lead character wearing, wouldn't you say?!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 PM

69 posts, read 260,173 times
Well I love the Tudors!!! I just got done watching Episode 4. It's great!!! And it did make me want to go back and read about Henry viii... I remembered most of it from History Class but I still wanted to refresh my memory.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 AM

13,360 posts, read 38,379,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Talking about the costuming and historical accuracy... A few months back I caught the last few minutes of the show 'Ugly Betty', only because it was on just prior to something else I wanted to watch. Apparantly it was one of the early-season episodes. Anyway, the first thing I noticed was that the lead character, Betty, was wearing a replica of the necklace worn by Anne Boleyn in the wellknown portrait (the pearl choker with the huge letter B hanging from the centre and then pearls suspended from the B). I did a double- and then a triple-take when I saw it! I wonder how many people who watch the show know where the necklace design came from, and am even more curious as to why the show's producers would have had their character wear THAT necklace. I don't follow the show so I have no idea if it was ever explained in the plot.

Not exactly an optimistic thing to have your lead character wearing, wouldn't you say?!
heh
That's hilarious. I know the Boleyn necklace you're talking about, wasn't it supposed to cover up something she had on her throat?
I've seen a few gangsta types wearing that style of jewelry so maybe it is some sort of *fatalistic* trend.

On a related note, years ago I read a biography of Queen Elizabeth I and read about a brooch that one of her more famous courtiers had given her, and I was able to find it in the Victoria&Albert museum in London. Pretty cool to see the real thing.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,868 times
I love watching The Tudors. I didn't start watching it until mid-way of the third season. My husband got me Season 1 and 2 on DVD and I've just finished Season 1. What an awesome series. I realize that they've taken quite a bit of lead way with the story but it's still based in fact. I've researched the Tudors online and have learned some very interesting things I never knew about Henry VIII. I'm hooked

I suppose they'll go through all 6 wives?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,507 posts, read 16,271,794 times
I watched all but the first season so I have to buy it I guess. I love anything about the monarchy. But it's such a farce. Maybe that's why it's so fascinating tho'. I just hate that they feel they have to make everyone 'beautiful' and slender. Not all were. I like to see the actors look as close as possible to their subjects--or at least resemble them in the most basic ways. But I'm enjoying it for the most part.

Btw, when does it come on? I've been watching on On Demand and don't want to miss the next episode.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 AM

811 posts, read 2,244,858 times
I love the Tudors. I don't get Showtime, so I have them on DVD. I've been avoiding the IMDB message board lately because I won't see season 3 until it comes out on DVD.

I certainly have read plenty about the historical innaccuracies. For the most part, I really don't care, as I feel that most people who like the series and have their interest piqued will read up about the period, even if it is just an internet search.

Sam Neill as Cardinal Wolsey is a highlight! (For season 1, anyway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV