Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times

Advertisements

I'm loving Caprica already. I want to see how the Soldiers of the One effect Zoe U-87, and William's uncle Sam...how his mob connections will shape events to come (plus obviously Joesph is looking for Tamara's avatar).

I didn't think I'd like it (not dislike it but just thought it would be just meh).
I LOVE IT thus far. Good writing, good plot...and I'm totally intrigued by Caprica City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I don't know. Saw the ad, googled and read an article or wiki and it said the develop of BSG decided that since BSG's audience was mainly male they wanted to write something that would draw the female audience in. He then went on to say how it was about people, family and like a Sy Fy BSG version of the TV show Dallas.
Great. Talk about feeling talked, or written in the case, down to. I already feel resentful.
If you guys keep watching and say its good I'll give it a shot

Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Admittedly I didn't watch "Dallas" but from what I know of it I really don't think this show is that similar. It is "family drama without space battles" but it hasn't struck me as melodramatic in the way "soap operas" are supposed to be melodramatic. Even the terrorists or the rich obsessed father aren't precisely like JR or villains in general.

In interviews the BSG people tend to be rather annoying and I have very mixed feelings about the shows they create, but still it's alright. They also seem to reshow episodes alot, SyFy doesn't have much going for it, so you might try it one of those times when it's on and nothing else is.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Sure, Adama could have been 69 in BSG. After all Saul and Ellen Tigh look pretty good for being 2,000 years old.

And regarding the Final Five, they don't show up on Caprica until the Cylon war, remember? (Anders said in BSG it was they who gave the Centurions resurrection in exchange for a truce, thus stopping the war.) Right now they are enroute to Caprica on a sub-light ship.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Sure, Adama could have been 69 in BSG. After all Saul and Ellen Tigh look pretty good for being 2,000 years old.

And regarding the Final Five, they don't show up on Caprica until the Cylon war, remember? (Anders said in BSG it was they who gave the Centurions resurrection in exchange for a truce, thus stopping the war.) Right now they are enroute to Caprica on a sub-light ship.
Thanks, had forgotten that. But Saul must look a lot younger when he arrives or Adama would have found something very strange going on with him. I sense that the final five can regenerate as is, but they may grow up too.

That woman at the funeral looks so much like an older Tori that I paused it and checked it out a couple of times.

If you wonder how they could advance their technology to the Galactica and making cylons so quickly just look at the stuff in Zoe's room. Have to find the episode and watch it but wonder if some of that technology is what brought William Adama's long lost wife back to a virtual life each year.

Just bought bsg 4.0 and will be getting the rest soon as walmart has it on sale. I feel like watching it all over again to see what I missed. Especially any clue about when and where the final five were known by someone.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I'm loving Caprica already. I want to see how the Soldiers of the One effect Zoe U-87, and William's uncle Sam...how his mob connections will shape events to come (plus obviously Joesph is looking for Tamara's avatar).

I didn't think I'd like it (not dislike it but just thought it would be just meh).
I LOVE IT thus far. Good writing, good plot...and I'm totally intrigued by Caprica City.
I doubt that Zoe will be happy as a cylon, especially as only her friend knows, and in time that will tell. The Soldiers of the One are interesting in that regard. Such movements are hard to control given the dedication to the belief and their obvious willingness to do whatever they want to to promote it.

That Joseph is looking for her avitar, I wonder if the lure of making her alive again will test him. Sounds right now that he wants her so she will not be alone. Thinking of looking back to see what Adama ever said about his father and his view of technology...

Its interesting how Caprica City has this real look of a busy city with the etherial look of a place on the border of destiny too.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Can I say thanks to all for responding! Looking forward to the episode on Friday!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't know. Saw the ad, googled and read an article or wiki and it said the develop of BSG decided that since BSG's audience was mainly male they wanted to write something that would draw the female audience in. He then went on to say how it was about people, family and like a Sy Fy BSG version of the TV show Dallas.
Great. Talk about feeling talked, or written in the case, down to. I already feel resentful.
If you guys keep watching and say its good I'll give it a shot
That is interesting, however I am 100% gal and I loved BSG and now Caprica. If you are a fan then it is fun just trying to find clues.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
That is interesting, however I am 100% gal and I loved BSG and now Caprica. If you are a fan then it is fun just trying to find clues.
I think there are some people who like dark themes and some who run away from them. BSG is a dirty, painful, gut wrenching story with little shiny stuff to see and I'm sure that turned some off. Caprica has that same dark sheen running behind the pretty city, but its not so obvious. Ron Moore likes dark themes and does them well. A lot of trek fans didn't like Deep Space Nine because they wanted the shiny side, but he looked under the covers and behind the Federation's mirrors in that one too, and the Federation came very close to being over. But his was not a story about ships and politics, thought there were both, but it was about people and what happened to them as the world changed.

I think that is what Caprica will be about, how people cope as life's sturdy floor of security falls away. Interesting that even the Stargate series currently being made Stargate Universe, is as dark as either of them and quite different from its previous siblings.

I think those of us that review every word and find content that might not have even been intended are not your average viewer and maybe we look a little obsessed. A good story pulls you into its world and you see what the casual viewer doesn't. I wonder if other genres besides SF inspire so many real fans since it is a genre that makes you accept the alternate reality to see the story.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 PM

And causes you to think deep and long about our society.
BTW loved Deep Space Nine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV