Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times

Advertisements

We just watched the 'Caprica' DVD last and and without giving out any spoilers for those who have not seen it... all I can say is, I already see a plot-hole big enough to swallow a 16-wheeler.

Caprica supposedly takes place "58 years before the fall" which I assume means the Cylon attack on Caprica that starts off the Battlestar Galactica series.

On the Caprica DVD, the future Admiral Adama is 11 years old, according to his father Joseph.

That means the Commander Adama shown at the start of BSG is supposed to be 69 years old???????

Come on now, seriously, IMHO no way. Mid fifties, yes. Maybe stretch a point to say late fifties. But 69 or 70 years old when the series starts? Heck no!

The generational/chronological math just doesn't work here.

Now if they'd said "48 years before", I might just barely buy it. But that would allow only 8 years for the Cylons to be invented, rise up against mankind, be defeated, and then come back 40 years later (which is the setting of the start of BSG, that the Cylons had not been heard from for 40 years).

With a plothole that big to start with, I have definite reservations about how the tv series Caprica will unfold.

Also, IMO other than the first 5-10 minutes I thought the plot of Caprica was utterly predictable. No surprises at all except for the insight into Joe's legal career at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
No comment on the age thing. I didnt do the math but I will take your word for it. As far as Caprica goes I was somewhat dissapointed. It looked low budget comparing it to BSG and like you said there seems to be holes in the plot. I could have sworn the house that laywer lived in is the exact same house that baltar lived in on Caprica. Coincidence or bad filming?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I could have sworn the house that laywer lived in is the exact same house that baltar lived in on Caprica.
I thought so too! Definitely the same view out those big windows as well.

Hey, maybe Baltar ended up buying it at a foreclosure or short sale after whatever ends up happening in the Caprica series!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I can buy the age. This is a society which has advanced technalogically far beyond us (though we are working on catching up). Along the way the medical treatment must have gotten far better. And remember Adama was essencially in retirement. He ended up leading the remenants of humanity because he was in the right place at the right time.

Its a fascinating look at the society we saw only for a few moments in BSG before it was obliterated by their children. Since the Galactica is an old ship in drydock, without all the improvements their other ships had, we tend to think of them as stuck in the old. But that is only because William Adama didn't trust the new. We see them as people who represent a fraction of the survivors and who have turned to survival. But before then, who were they? The society we see in Caprica is one drifting quickly out of control.

What I really loved is that we know where the original spark of the Cylon conscience came from and a piece of the answer to what they are inside. Can't wait for the series.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Let the whole concept die, for crying out loud. BSG started to go bad after season 2; why would anybody thing Caprica could possibly redeem the franchise?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
I thought it was slow, boring, and predictable, and I greatly disliked some of the characters. It didn't need 2 hours to get to the point, and I'm having a hard time seeing a whole series in this. A miniseries, yes. But man, Esai Morales is a beautiful thing to look at.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
well we have the series coming to a tv near you so we'll have plenty more time to develop final judgements about Caprica and what is spins off

Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I'm not going to watch Caprica, even though I loved BSG.

However, as far as the age question,

They civilization on Caprica was far advanced compared to us today. They have space travel for crying out loud, you honestly don't believe that people live longer in that type of civilization?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
I was hesitant (but interested) in starting a BSG thread because I found so few here, but perhaps I'm not looking right. Caprica will generate enough discussion but I wonder whether there was discussion about BSG here

Old 09-20-2009, 01:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
We just watched the 'Caprica' DVD last and and without giving out any spoilers for those who have not seen it... all I can say is, I already see a plot-hole big enough to swallow a 16-wheeler.

Caprica supposedly takes place "58 years before the fall" which I assume means the Cylon attack on Caprica that starts off the Battlestar Galactica series.

On the Caprica DVD, the future Admiral Adama is 11 years old, according to his father Joseph.

That means the Commander Adama shown at the start of BSG is supposed to be 69 years old???????

Come on now, seriously, IMHO no way. Mid fifties, yes. Maybe stretch a point to say late fifties. But 69 or 70 years old when the series starts? Heck no!

The generational/chronological math just doesn't work here.

Now if they'd said "48 years before", I might just barely buy it. But that would allow only 8 years for the Cylons to be invented, rise up against mankind, be defeated, and then come back 40 years later (which is the setting of the start of BSG, that the Cylons had not been heard from for 40 years).

With a plothole that big to start with, I have definite reservations about how the tv series Caprica will unfold.

Also, IMO other than the first 5-10 minutes I thought the plot of Caprica was utterly predictable. No surprises at all except for the insight into Joe's legal career at that point.
Each society defines what is "old" and when they should move on. Adama had commanded a display ship for quite a while too. Its plain from the scenes in BSG from Caprica that they had moved way past the old style stuff you see on Galactica so its age of precieved uselessness must have been a far time before.

I'm looking forward to Caprica because it will be about how they got to that point. We saw the survivors of the fleet and they ask if they as a society were worthy, but we didn't see the society. I think it will give great insights into the mindset of William Adama and why his ship did not succom to the cylon cyberattack.

Did anyone see the episode of the Discovery series It's Impossible about robotics and AI? When a robot in a lab in Japan is learning to carry on conversations and has moved from simple sentences to the complex on its own, when we have military investment in the non-human, disposable soldier it should make you think and look at what decisions the Colonials made along the way about technology.

One of the questions raised on that show was when the soldier is a robot, and its what decides when and where to shoot, what factors will matter in that decision? That is one the colonials lost on in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV