Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I sometimes catch the show on TV land if I wake up and can't sleep in the middle of the night or early AM.

Yes, the gay jokes are dated, and I never really found physical comedy funny (they go really overboard with it). And almost every plotline is a misunderstanding that makes everyone's words and actions get misinterpreted until it's all finally cleared up at the end. And being from the pre-AIDS era, all the (implied) indiscriminate sex seems overboard today. Of course, the girl roommates alwasy remained virginal!

But there is something nostalgic that makes me want to, have to, watch it when its on. Part of it might be that I was a kid (pre-teen) when the show was big, and the whole disco scene was supposedly so cool. I remember imagining that when I was grown up in my 20s I wanted my life to be just like the people in Three's Company. I'd be really "foxy" wearing designer jeans and having guys like Larry buy me drinks at the Regal Beagle. My apartment would be full of plants, wicker, and funky posters. I had no idea at age 10 that times and fashions change!

Also, if you watch the show even today, the back & forth comedic chemistry between Mr. and Mrs. Roper is still hilarious, even down to their subtle facial expressions. It can still be appreciated as great comedy even amidst the outdated jokes and silly physical humor. The Don Knotts brought a whole new dynamic, and his swaggering "lady's man" persona is also a classic, kind of an updated Barney Fife with the swaggering bravado.

I think it can really be appreciated as a time capsule of late-70s pop culture.

I think I show my age when I still make Three's Company references and people under 30 look at me blankly. Like if someone walks in and apartment and leaves the front door wide open, I'm like "what is this Three's Company or something?" Or someone wears something like a leisure suit or a flowing scarf and I make a Mr. Furley reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
This show is reflective of the times, just like All in the Family was (they never used the "N" word, that I remember, despite how prejudiced Archie was). It was never an acceptable term and I think that show pushed the envelope as far as they could push it and it was done in a very humorous way making fun of Archie for being that way. He also made fun of gays. Mr. Roper was also old school and the gay community just wasn't as accepted then by the older generation as people were afraid to come out and hid it from the world. It was a comedy and again, just showing his ignorance made it that way. He also treated his wife terribly, and everyone else, but that was okay for you? They were both great shows and still are. I watched an episode of MASH a couple of weeks ago and they used a very derogatory word for one of the black characters and I almost fell off the couch. However, still a great show.

Times have changed, thankfully. Look at Modern Family, The Office, Will and Grace, Glee, Greys Anatomy and even The Ellen Show. All great shows with predominately gay characters and also some of the best and most popular shows on TV.
So true. I think back on all the cartoons I grew up watching in the 70s (Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry), and they would NEVER be acceptable by today's standards. Still, it was a slice of life around the WWII and post- WWII era that I am glad I got to see. I did not grow up racist, or homophobic or prone to violence... far from! They don't show many of those clips, anymore. Some are on YouTube. Now they have "new" versions of Tom and Jerry, or Bugs Bunny.

And The Jeffersons - a spin-off of All in the Family, I believe... wow. Would that show fly, today? So much has changed with political correctness taking over.

Back to the topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

I didn't like Cindy, somehow she was actually dumber than Chrissy, I didn't realize that was even possible.

I thought Terri was a much better replacement.
Agreed! Cindy was horrible and a terrible comedic actress. She just didn't "click" with the cast. Terri was funny. She fit right in and had that chemistry.

I watched the reunion clips posted in the OP, and, although it was nice to see "Janet and Chrissy" again (on good terms), it seemed very awkward at first, especially on Suzanne's side. Maybe it's the botox making her seem emotionless, but she seemed somewhat detached. Then she went right in with the "I needed money because I had a kid" thing, and then Joyce Dewitt blamed what happened on sexism... I felt like they just didn't want to admit what really happened - egos getting in the way. But, who knows. Not like I was there to witness anything, firsthand.

They loosened up when talking about John, though. He was such a great talent, and so funny. I still miss him. I was really surprised when Joyce said "Johnathan" had been getting it on with many of the guest stars!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
sh*t, there's lots of classic TV shows that could never, I mean NEVER be done today. Like if you were to propose a COMEDY about a Nazi POW camp where the hero is a wisecracking American pilot named Hogan, and the Nazis were bumbling stereotypes named Klink and Shultz, they'd throw that script out the window

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing any reruns of "McHale's Navy", with all of the references to "Japs" and "Nips".

Of course, the episodes set in Italy aren't worth watching at all, although I don't recall any references to "guineas", "dagoes", or "wops".

Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Hello every one! I remember Three's Company as if it was yesterday. Even more so I remember ,,John Ritter ''who was our guest speaker when I graduated from High School. Dancing with him was wonderful and he was such a sweet, funny man. A moment in time I will cherish forever.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Hello every one! I remember Three's Company as if it was yesterday. Even more so I remember ,,John Ritter ''who was our guest speaker when I graduated from High School. Dancing with him was wonderful and he was such a sweet, funny man. A moment in time I will cherish forever.

Why respond to a 2 year old thread?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Three's Company was a pretty goofy show and hasn't aged well, but John Ritter was known to be a great guy.

I think the show went downhill once the Ropers left. Mr. Ferley was too goofy and the show was arleady goofy enough. The Ropers were a good counterpoint to that.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Old thread or not, I was happy to see it brought up

I LOVE Three's COmpany and still record the reruns. While I thought Mr. Furley was okay, I think the Ropers were the better fit. It just wasn't *as* funny when they left.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Old thread or not, I was happy to see it brought up

I LOVE Three's COmpany and still record the reruns. While I thought Mr. Furley was okay, I think the Ropers were the better fit. It just wasn't *as* funny when they left.
The spin offs were horrible. They should have made another, though, with Chrissy Snow. They could have called that one Three's Company as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
My mom thinks Terri was teh best one of the third roommates.

I liked Chrissy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV