Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I wonder how much those clutter cleaners get paid...not nearly enough, I'm sure. Even w/masks & gloves I don't see how they manage to not throw up while cleaning out years' worth of someone's old feces, dead animals, rotten food, etc.
I bet when they get home they can't take a shower long enough...and throw those clothes right into the washer.

After I watched the show with the woman with the adult diapers, it did something to me. To have a private home and to abuse it so. To not call your kids if you needed help. To toss around your own human waste. It is revolting and it just wipes my mind out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I'd be in the shower clothes and all for a first few minutes! All I could think about was the way HazMat showers people off. That's what I'd want! I'd have to be paid BIG BUCKS to do that kind of job!!! Mike Rowe should do that as one of his "Dirtiest Jobs" show.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I bet when they get home they can't take a shower long enough...and throw those clothes right into the washer.

After I watched the show with the woman with the adult diapers, it did something to me. To have a private home and to abuse it so. To not call your kids if you needed help. To toss around your own human waste. It is revolting and it just wipes my mind out.
"wipes" being the operative word there.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM

I got a cure for that situation next time...a can of gasoline and a match!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
"wipes" being the operative word there.
Yes! Didn't think of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I got a cure for that situation next time...a can of gasoline and a match!
I know. Some of these houses are beyond all hope. Very sad.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I have to keep reminding myself that it is a mental illness. It's so easy to jump into judging them, but having dealt with an alcoholic sister for 20 plus years, it bears repeating. They have an addiction/disorder and can't recognize or control it. They can't help it without professional intervention. And even then they might not be able to change. They don't choose it. It chooses them. My sister died of her addiction. Still I can't help watching this show. I can't watch "Intervention" any more. It's too painful.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I'm very sorry to hear about your sister, say. I guess I am having a hard time realizing that this is a mental illness and they have no control over what they do. Thanks for pointing that out again. I will watch with that in mind now. What a dilabating disease! I have noticed that none of these people go to doctors. I wonder if they did, would anti-depressants help them overcome this?

If people don't know there is anything wrong with them, why are some embarassed by their living conditions? If they know they shouldn't be living in filth, why do they do this? Why can't they just throw things into the rubbish? I don't understand that. Is there anyone on here who has any professional answers to these questions?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 AM

53 posts, read 57,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post

Ew. Makes me glad I've never watched this show!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your sister, say. I guess I am having a hard time realizing that this is a mental illness and they have no control over what they do. Thanks for pointing that out again. I will watch with that in mind now. What a dilabating disease! I have noticed that none of these people go to doctors. I wonder if they did, would anti-depressants help them overcome this?

If people don't know there is anything wrong with them, why are some embarassed by their living conditions? If they know they shouldn't be living in filth, why do they do this? Why can't they just throw things into the rubbish? I don't understand that. Is there anyone on here who has any professional answers to these questions?
My sister is on anti-depressants...but she still hoards. A big problem is that hoarders live in a world of odd reality and often do not think they have a problem. Psychologists say it is very hard to treat and most never get cured...even if their mess is cleaned up...they usually revert right back to their hoarding ways.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

They do know something is wrong and they are embarrassed. They just can't help themselves. They can't bring themselves to throw anything away. They have an abnormal attachment to it. It's kind of like people who have to wash their hands 100 times a day or keep checking to see if the door is locked. It's a compulsion they can't control. I'm not a professional but that's what I understand the disorder to be. My sister could not stop drinking even though it meant she lost everything, including her children. These addictions and disorders are powerful stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV