Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,651,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It is, but it's not as bad as the Hanna/Gary episode. If you get a chance, you should watch that episode - that one is the mother of all Hoarders episodes!!!
Hanna & Gary just annoyed me, and Hanna's family wasn't any better. What a bunch of ignorant redneck hicks. Gary was just a mean, bitter, manipulative person with NO redeeming characteristics whatsoever. What an absolute arse he was to his wife -- but, what an idiot she is to stay around and take that crap from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Hanna & Gary just annoyed me, and Hanna's family wasn't any better. What a bunch of ignorant redneck hicks. Gary was just a mean, bitter, manipulative person with NO redeeming characteristics whatsoever. What an absolute arse he was to his wife -- but, what an idiot she is to stay around and take that crap from him.
What??? How could you NOT like Hanna's redneck family!!!

Ok, I confess ... I wanted to pick them of with a shotgun through my TV set!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,651,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
What??? How could you NOT like Hanna's redneck family!!!

Ok, I confess ... I wanted to pick them of with a shotgun through my TV set!
I live next door to a family of rednecks. Their idea of a good time is to go out in the front yard, light a bonfire in their barbecue, get drunk, and then have fistfights. I have very little tolerance for ignorant redneck peasants any more As for Hanna, I would have hoped the city took away all her animals, evicted her from those properties, and razed them to the ground.

Speaking of which, the weirdo "Sir Patrick" episode...he was really really creepy and gave me bad vibes from the start. Turns out he's a convicted sex offender, is on multiple sites tracking people who lie about military service, was in prison during the time he claims Prince Charles gave him a knighthood, and has about 20 aliases.

He's a total lunatic, liar, and creep. I laughed my butt off when his chintzy crap wasn't worth a fraction of what he claimed.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I live next door to a family of rednecks. Their idea of a good time is to go out in the front yard, light a bonfire in their barbecue, get drunk, and then have fistfights. I have very little tolerance for ignorant redneck peasants any more As for Hanna, I would have hoped the city took away all her animals, evicted her from those properties, and razed them to the ground.

Speaking of which, the weirdo "Sir Patrick" episode...he was really really creepy and gave me bad vibes from the start. Turns out he's a convicted sex offender, is on multiple sites tracking people who lie about military service, was in prison during the time he claims Prince Charles gave him a knighthood, and has about 20 aliases.

He's a total lunatic, liar, and creep. I laughed my butt off when his chintzy crap wasn't worth a fraction of what he claimed.
Oh, I knew right off the bat the guy was nuttier than a squirrel turd. There's no way that guy was in the military, and he's completely delusional about being "knighted". What also struck me as odd was that he wanted to meet a woman, yet he came across as totally flaming gay. His obsession with the deceased neighbor kid kind of creeped me out too and I wondered if he was a pedophile. Yes, he did have a lot of crap in that house. All of these people think they have valuable treasures when all they have is complete garbage that needs to be thrown out!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,890,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Oh yea, that was a bad one, you're not kidding, that was the mother of all!!!
She was nasty. I bet her and Vula would be great friends though.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,351,075 times
The hoarding shows are extreme cases but there are far more people who are in the category of the sorts of homes seen on Peter Walsh's new show Enough Already. Things are somewhat chaotic but not at the super severe level. I much prefer this show because the people are not so out of touch with reality. They are aware that they have a problem and are struggling. Even though they exhibit some difficulty in parting with stuff they gradually "get it" and see how much better off they and their families are once they start to get a handle on things. The few episodes shown so far only deal with two rooms and I would guess that the entire house is in some degree of clutter and disorganization. Getting two rooms done from start to finish with some outside help must be a great boost and enable to continue with the remainder of their homes on their own, maybe with a bit of additional help on a slower basis.

I recall one episode where Matt Paxton had to have a decontamination area and the woman was trying to get him to not throw away some dishes - china, arguing that the pieces were cleanable. Telling him "They can be washed, I'll wash the." I recall thinking, 'Yes, there was a point when they could have been saved, they could have been washed. You are saying that you will do that but the reality is that you have not and truly can not. If you could have, you would have long before things got so out of control and overwhelming. She was a sad case to me.

These sorts of shows prompted me to go in search of finding techniques and motivators that would help me get my disorder and clutter under control. In the past few months I'd been having trouble getting my act together. Not even to the point that I'd seen on Enough Already but I knew that it would not be hard for me to slip down that slope.

I managed to find some on line support and having been making great progress for the past couple of weeks. I've disposed of lots of paper stuff, catalogs, old magazines, receipts, etc. and even finally got together several boxes of books and clothing to donate to my local thrift store and then loaded them in the car and brought them in to the store.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,026,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The hoarding shows are extreme cases but there are far more people who are in the category of the sorts of homes seen on Peter Walsh's new show Enough Already. Things are somewhat chaotic but not at the super severe level. I much prefer this show because the people are not so out of touch with reality. They are aware that they have a problem and are struggling. Even though they exhibit some difficulty in parting with stuff they gradually "get it" and see how much better off they and their families are once they start to get a handle on things. The few episodes shown so far only deal with two rooms and I would guess that the entire house is in some degree of clutter and disorganization. Getting two rooms done from start to finish with some outside help must be a great boost and enable to continue with the remainder of their homes on their own, maybe with a bit of additional help on a slower basis.

I recall one episode where Matt Paxton had to have a decontamination area and the woman was trying to get him to not throw away some dishes - china, arguing that the pieces were cleanable. Telling him "They can be washed, I'll wash the." I recall thinking, 'Yes, there was a point when they could have been saved, they could have been washed. You are saying that you will do that but the reality is that you have not and truly can not. If you could have, you would have long before things got so out of control and overwhelming. She was a sad case to me.

These sorts of shows prompted me to go in search of finding techniques and motivators that would help me get my disorder and clutter under control. In the past few months I'd been having trouble getting my act together. Not even to the point that I'd seen on Enough Already but I knew that it would not be hard for me to slip down that slope.

I managed to find some on line support and having been making great progress for the past couple of weeks. I've disposed of lots of paper stuff, catalogs, old magazines, receipts, etc. and even finally got together several boxes of books and clothing to donate to my local thrift store and then loaded them in the car and brought them in to the store.
Good for you!!! Keep up the hard work

Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,923,247 times
Proud of you zugor! I'm on the other side of the spectrum and end up throwing so much away to avoid any clutter, until I often times throw out stuff I really COULD use later or paperwork I actually need later.

I guess we all have to work on finding our own happy medium.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM

23,800 posts, read 33,287,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

I'll have to see if I can find the show; haven't heard of it.

I come from parents who came to the US with nothing; so I sit & watch shows where people get values of stuff passed down or in their grandmas attic & I can tell you that it sucks to not have anything passed to me.

I have a few things from when I was little; not much & I wish that some things were saved. This is where my problem comes from; I hate throwing certain things out because it's in a rubbermade container & not bothering anyone & I don't want my kids to one day wish I didn't get rid of their stuff. Most of it is special toys; I've kept some outfits of my daughters that were really nice or stuff I made her when she was little. I wish I would have held on to more of my sons stuff; but I passed it down to someone.

If you ask my hub; he'd probably say I had a problem but I think he's the one with more of a problem where he's able to throw everything out which is not good because you wouldn't believe how many times we needed paperwork he threw out. I think the 10 year rule would be good.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 PM

7,994 posts, read 10,557,425 times
OK, I watched the Animal Hoarders show again tonight. Now for the elephant in the room that I keep sensing over and over on these programs. The absence of this thing called a J.O.B., Job. Time and time again on this show, heavy, unhealthy people who have given up on life, with all day and endless funds to devote to these animals. Most do not look like they are old enough for retirement or Social Security. Are we, the people with, yes dare I mention it, J.O.B.'s, supporting this silly mess?

Where is your J.O.B., sicko hoarder people? That stands for JOB. Where is the income for these sickos coming from? Are food stamps good for pet food? If they had a O.K., let's spell it once again, J.O.B., would they have the time to be so fixated on these animals? Hey, we're all lonely in our own way. But most of us have to get up daily and go to a J.O.B., Job. It's this thing that takes us out of out homes an into the real world for oh, for say about 8 hours or more a day. Maybe I'm mis-imformed. Is animal hoarding a qualifier for disability these days?

My suggestion? Get out of yourself, yes, get out of yourself and get a - yeah, you guessed it, here it comes again, it's called a, spell it with me now, J.O.B. It's something you go to daily, you earn a living and expend energy doing it, that you have to go to support yourself. Well, at least the rest of us do, anyway. You see, it gets you outside of your own sorry self, it gets you out there around actual human being people, sometimes it's a bit stressful, but it's called a J.O.B. Perhaps you've heard of it.

J.O.B. That stands for Job. Many of us have one; catch the train, you won't have so much time to focus on your animal "babies", because, you would have to go to a, once again, let's say it all together now, it's called a J.O.B., and that stands for job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV