Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

I am a big fan of Anthony Bourdain and his show No Reservations, however, I've noticed something peculiar about the show. He rarely goes to Africa. Europe, North and South America, and especially Asia are frequently covered, yet only three shows in Africa have been produced. How could the world's second largest continent (in land area) get so little attention? Does the Travel Channel and No Reservations production team have a bias against the so called "dark continent?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Maybe after he had to eat those eggs fried in hot cow dung.....he decided he would rather eat elsewhere.

I'm a big fan also. I have a wonderful apron from his show that I love. I don't use it....I just keep it in my kitchen to impress my friends.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Perhaps because a lot of countries in Africa are not safe to travel due to in-fighting that has been going on for years and years? I mean, he probably learned his lesson well after that Beirut episode, where he had to be rescued by US Navy, remember?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
We have all seen Anthony eat everything imaginable, but he says those eggs he ate with dung in them was the worse. That may be something to do with it.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
We have all seen Anthony eat everything imaginable, but he says those eggs he ate with dung in them was the worse. That may be something to do with it.

When he ate the colon and anus of the warthog it made me cringe.

Bourdain can be pretty arrogant , but his show is just interesting.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I think Bourdain's mentioned that because he's a chef he enjoys traveling to places with a real food culture. Maybe he isn't seeing many places in Africa that have the kind of ingrained love of cuisine that Italy or China or Argentina has. There's already that other show for eating weird and gross things, and that's not Bourdain's deal.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think Bourdain's mentioned that because he's a chef he enjoys traveling to places with a real food culture. Maybe he isn't seeing many places in Africa that have the kind of ingrained love of cuisine that Italy or China or Argentina has. There's already that other show for eating weird and gross things, and that's not Bourdain's deal.
You brought up a good point. I never thought about Africa (especially south of the Sahara) having great cuisine and ton of resturaunts or eateries (both indoor and outdoor).

There is a lack resturaunts because many African people (notably black Africans) tend to prepare their own food more often than people in other continents. Besides the many problems faced by many Africans such as malnourishment and famine, lack of good soils, war, and HIV/AIDS, many black Africans tend to be lean, tone, and healthy.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Perhaps because a lot of countries in Africa are not safe to travel due to in-fighting that has been going on for years and years? I mean, he probably learned his lesson well after that Beirut episode, where he had to be rescued by US Navy, remember?
Many Asian countries too are unsafe, including some of the countries Bourdain has visited (besides Beruit).

Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Many Asian countries too are unsafe, including some of the countries Bourdain has visited (besides Beruit).
Well, I'm talking about in-fighting here, as in civil war. None of the Asian countries, or other countries he visited, has an on-going civil war. That's not the case with many African countries such as Uganda, Congo, Somalia, Chad, Niger, Zambia, Sierra Leone, ... and the list goes on. In fact, if you throw a dart at African continent on the map, the chance of you hitting a country without any kind of war going on currently is very slim. That's probably why even Andrew Zimmern doesn't travel to that continent that much (I only remember one show he did in Africa). The Travel Channel producers are not stupid, they obviously want to protect their cash cows.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Well, I'm talking about in-fighting here, as in civil war. None of the Asian countries, or other countries he visited, has an on-going civil war. That's not the case with many African countries such as Uganda, Congo, Somalia, Chad, Niger, Zambia, Sierra Leone, ... and the list goes on. In fact, if you throw a dart at African continent on the map, the chance of you hitting a country without any kind of war going on currently is very slim. That's probably why even Andrew Zimmern doesn't travel to that continent that much (I only remember one show he did in Africa). The Travel Channel producers are not stupid, they obviously want to protect their cash cows.
There are 51 African nations, not all of them are war-zones. Plus, the State Department does tell you which countries you can visit and the ones you should not. I still say there are biases against Africa.

BTW, Zimmerman has been to Africa 4 times.

Last edited by Rwarky; 08-27-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV