Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Actually, Sudcaro, I used to agree about the host. But he was on "Ellen" this week and said that there are a gazillion producers yelling at him, thru his earpiece, to cut Paula off, to ask the loser how he/she feels, etc. He said it's been very hurtful that people criticize him when he has very little say in the matter.

And did you notice that he refused to ask tonight's loser how that person felt? I could see him listening to his earpiece but holding up a hand, as if to say no, and then he moved away from the loser and introduced the loser's video.

Too, on Ellen's show, he stripped off his shirt to put on a t-shirt she gave him. That six-pack makes up for a lot of personality flaws.

I heard him about the earpiece etc... I understand that about not having time left to let the judges speak, but for the rest, I'm sorry... Is he a puppet?
Last night he did try to talk to Rachel, but then left. But before that, there was that stupid, stupid rule "Nicole you have to say the name" blah blah. She said "deadlock", it should have been enough. Then he sent Marcus away from the stage, like "you're in the semis so you don't have to be on this stage now and be there for Rachel". Then he tried to interview Nicole who was a mess. No psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Last night was almost tragic. "Mommy, you promised". Can NOT get it out of my mind. How sad.

Mommy promised what? that she'd win? That she'd never get the least votes? If her mom promised somthing that is not in her power, then she made a mistake.
But it sure was heartbreaking to see Rachel lose it like that. She showed so much strength and maturity week after week, and especially last night. You could see she wanted to cry while she was singing, but she kept the tears away and fought like crazy.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
And then the comment that LA made during the performance show that there was all this buzz about Hollywood wanting Rachel almost makes me think that the judges knew who was going home (of course that could have been just coincidence). Even Simon didn't seem as upset as when Drew got kicked off.
I thought so too.
The previous night Simon also said he was prepared, then when Rachel sang he told her about her ''experience" in stand-up comedy... It all felt strange.
I have the feeling they knew, but poor Rachel didn't...
I agree with the posters who say the contestants need to be older... It's so tough... I mean come on, 5 million dollars, a pepsi commercial and a record deal! That's a lot to handle!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Mommy promised what? that she'd win? That she'd never get the least votes? If her mom promised something that is not in her power, then she made a mistake.
I think I agree there. I mean maybe the girl was just confused and didn't know what she was saying. Possibly the "promise" her Mom made was just something well-intentioned like "I promise you'll have the strength to handle it either way" and in the moment the girl's like "I'm not handling it, I'm freaking out!" If she did promise the girl she'd win any vote or win the contest, yeah that is overly confident of her.

And I agree that the age limit should be higher. What's the age limit on American Idol?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Mommy promised what? that she'd win? That she'd never get the least votes? If her mom promised somthing that is not in her power, then she made a mistake.
But it sure was heartbreaking to see Rachel lose it like that. She showed so much strength and maturity week after week, and especially last night. You could see she wanted to cry while she was singing, but she kept the tears away and fought like crazy.

My point exactly...what did Mommy "promise"? At that moment Rachel was 13 going on 3 -- a whiny toddler. I wasn't heartbroken for her, I was annoyed at that moment. I feel vindicated that these CHILDREN should not be on this type of show. I felt the flinging herself on the stage and outright bawling was complete drama queen stuff. And I'm sorry but her save-me song was a bad choice....it was too old for her. I sure hope Disney is calling and she starts singing/acting in appropriate ways!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007
And then the comment that LA made during the performance show that there was all this buzz about Hollywood wanting Rachel almost makes me think that the judges knew who was going home (of course that could have been just coincidence). Even Simon didn't seem as upset as when Drew got kicked off.
Well of course they knew. They're judges. You don't think they've known for weeks who they think should win this? I, and many others who aren't even experienced in the music industry, knew who should go last night, just imagine what they, the judges who are experienced, are thinking.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

When Nicole was supposedly trying to make up her mind how to vote, I thought Rachel acted very maturely in consoling Nicole with "Dont cry. it's ok however you vote". However after the viewer vote was announced, I realized that Rachel must have said that only because she believed the viewer votes would save her. When they didnt, she dropped to her knees, sobbed and screamed “Mommy you promised”. The image of her mother trying to comfort her was a reminder that, despite her bravado and huge voice, she's just a little 13-year-old girl trying to "make it" in an adult world.

I understand her being upset and my heart broke for her. However, her reaction is proof that the minimum age for this show should definitely be increased.
EXACTLY on the boldfaced section. EXACTLY. That's absolutely the thought I had at that moment -- "I'll act like a really good sport consoling poor poor Nicole because I know I'm gonna win anyway." When her name was announced, her eyes bugged out!! She could not believe it!

And in her sobbing goodbye with the host, when she said "without this I'm nothing" -- that was a light-bulb moment for me. She -- and I'm guessing her parents -- are so totally wrapped up in Rachel the Teen Wunderkind Entertainer that she has no other identity or "purpose" whatsoever. That's the sad statement. Maybe that stardom is what "mommy promised." That said, she'll still get it --- Simon will make sure of it.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It's coming down to Josh and Melanie and yes, as I said, she can sing, but when she's up against someone who can also sing just as well, if not better BUT, unlike her, has a unique and very distinguishable voice, I have to go with the latter. Not to mention, he writes his own music and plays his own instruments. He's extremely marketable. However, that said, I still don't want to see his enormous talent locked in a pepsi contract when he could be in the studio making CDs and giving concerts. I say let Melanie win and let this man out to do what he is born to do--be on stage!

Nicole did fine tonight. It can't be easy judging something like this but I've .
Whyte, you've said this before and I am puzzled. I really haven't researched what goes on after they win -- are you saying that, beyond the Pepsi COMMERCIAL, Pepsi has some say in what he sings/records?? The way they always talk about the winner is "Pepsi commercial and a Sony (I thought) recording contract." So I'm confused...especially if it's affecting how you vote. What's going to "happen" to Josh if he wins?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
And I agree that the age limit should be higher. What's the age limit on American Idol?
Currently
minimum : 15
maximum: 28

The minimum was originally older than 15 but was recently reduced to that.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Whyte, you've said this before and I am puzzled. I really haven't researched what goes on after they win -- are you saying that, beyond the Pepsi COMMERCIAL, Pepsi has some say in what he sings/records?? The way they always talk about the winner is "Pepsi commercial and a Sony (I thought) recording contract." So I'm confused...especially if it's affecting how you vote. What's going to "happen" to Josh if he wins?
I was reading comments about this--that for the duration of the contract what he records and does is controlled by the contract and he wouldn't be able to tour and do what he wants. If that's true, I don't think it's in his best interest to win because I think someone would grab him up right now and he'd be doing what he wants to. If it's not true, yes, I definitely want him to win. Just the same, I vote for him because it's his dream to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV