Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times

Advertisements

People have this strange fascination with watching other people do arbitrary things apparently.

This is fine in the real world. But sitting down and watching it on a TV seems a bit strange to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
The chance to live vicariously, in some, and the chance to say "I am better than him" in others.

The one reason for Wheel of Fortune's success is that it does NOT have very bright people playing it. People feel alienated by others that are too smart, thus shows like "Deal or no Deal" are extremely popular WHEN THEY INVOLVE NO SKILL, INTELLIGENCE OR TALENT WHATSOEVER!.

And that Jeff Foxworthy 5th grader show? Aside from History, I cringe at some of the questions asked and the answers they get!

But again, so long as a person who is not you gets embarrassed, or a person that COULD be you gets something nice, people will watch.

And pay.

Anyone want a McCafe? >hurk<

Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
If it weren't for House MD, I wouldn't watch ANY televison. That's the only show I watch. Old movies I can watch on dvd. Cable is worthless. I don't waste my time or money on it.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I have a $2,700 HDTV and find myself watching black and white movies on TCM and black and white reruns of shows from the 1950s
Yes! That's me. Throw in a few silly but original 1960s TV shows and I am happy.

If a movie is not in black and white I tend to be skeptical of it!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:14 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
I can not wait for reality shows to become a thing of the past.....hmmmm someday! I think it's dumb...people with no talent at all becoming FAMOUS because their lives are full of drama, it is CRAZY! I think maybe the worst reality show right now is Toddlers and Tiaras...has anyone seen that?
Go to the video store or use Netflix to rent "Smile" You will never be able to look at any pageant again without laughing yourself silly. It really captures the gauche nature of the pageant industry.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Go to the video store or use Netflix to rent "Smile" You will never be able to look at any pageant again without laughing yourself silly. It really captures the gauche nature of the pageant industry.
I have always hated those pageants. The little children ones are the worse. The gross conceit of mothers who think "my child is cuter then your child" !!!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
No, not the "cute" effect, but dressing 4 year olds up to look like 1920's prostitutes.

LET A KID BE A KID!!!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes! That's me. Throw in a few silly but original 1960s TV shows and I am happy.

If a movie is not in black and white I tend to be skeptical of it!
And almost all of these can be watched on the internet for free.

TV blows. I will never own a TV ever again until the TV industry starts have some self-respect, which will most likely never happen.

I'm disgusted with the moronic stuff that people are dumbing themselves down with. Sometimes it seems like people on the streets are incredibly dumb and act strange in the US. Lots of people seems to be living in a fake, idealized version of reality.

Maybe the TV is the reason?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:27 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
And almost all of these can be watched on the internet for free.

TV blows. I will never own a TV ever again until the TV industry starts have some self-respect, which will most likely never happen.

I'm disgusted with the moronic stuff that people are dumbing themselves down with. Sometimes it seems like people on the streets are incredibly dumb and act strange in the US. Lots of people seems to be living in a fake, idealized version of reality.

Maybe the TV is the reason?
Wow! I sure do agree with this! Too many people are "programmed" by what they see/hear on TV. They are literally brainwashed.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Wow! I sure do agree with this! Too many people are "programmed" by what they see/hear on TV. They are literally brainwashed.
Indeed. People let stereotypical TV memes tell them how to act, dress, speak, socialize, etc.

The fake world of TV has become real American culture.

And for people like me who watch almost no TV at all, it's so so so so strange and bizarre. TV world is like some bizarre foreign country, if you are used to it, it seems normal. But if you just suddenly turn it on after not seeing it for a long time. You are left in culture shock, saying to yourself "What the F? This is crap."

To everyday TV watchers, their reality has been so meshed with the reality shown on TV that they don't know where to draw the line anymore.

So, lots of American people act like movie stars. Or they always try to be witty and funny like a TV character. Or they try to fill every single day with action and drama and suspense like a TV show. Brainwashed by TV.

People do not naturally behave like this.

Pull the plug on the Matrix people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV