Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times

Advertisements

Cheers would have still made it.

Any comedy that has jokes about Beer and Women gets at LEAST 2 seasons!

My Own Worst was so-so. There were too many leaps of faith that you had to ignore in order to make teh scenario plausable. To think that nobody would recognise his alter ego? That he would be able to be switched on and off like a light switch?

Maybe if that was more a spy plot, like the sleepers that many storylines use, it would be believable, but not someone that keeps going back and forth.

Add to it the "cram factor" in that they tried to get as many interesting things all in the first few episodes as possible to get people interested. THAT is what kills many of these shows. You can't let characters and plotlines develop if you rush the punchline.

Heroes S2 had that in a way with the writers strike. Instead of just taking a break and coming back, they cut the season short and made a bunch of plotlines collide in a heaping mess. Actions were out of character, stupid plot choices were made, very disappointing.

I tghink that the shows need to do something very simple, and that is, simplify their production budget. I am sure some shows, like Breaking Bad, were not HUGE budget. They had a few things they needed to get right, but no big car chases, explosions, or scenes with dozens of extras.

This does NOT mean skimping on writers. Maybe this shortcoming will make the suits think more about paying the writers more to come up with something better than to just pay Cortney Cox a lot of money to bounce around in her underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The word is NBC is planning to stay with the Leno show. The folks there think that they are still reaching their audience, so NBC's is continuing it.

For now, anyway.

I'm the Biggest Leno Fan on the Planet and can't get into the show because Leno looks like he not into

Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Then why launch new shows? Or figure out a payment model. Many actors for movie take a % of how much the movie makes. This will prevent IMO money being thrown at big actors for horrible scripts to try and get ratings. And actors only taking on scripts they think are good.

So many of the shows they put out seem half thought out, and they pay known actors big money thinking that is how they will get the ratings. This may not be the solution, but they need to do something different........

They have to introduce new shows to be competitive. Once you get a 20 million per week show, it pays for all the failures 10 times over. You just have to keep taking shots until you get the next CSI, Friends, or Lost.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Hello everyone. I was scanning through each thread to see if anyone has talked about NBC canceling good shows. I have to tell you guys, I am very upset. Shows like, Journeyman, Life, Las Vegas, My Own Worst Enemy, and Bionic Woman were very good shows and I am sad to see them go. I mean, is it me or does NBC not care about the fans and only care about the ratings? All of those shows I listed had very good story lines. It was only today when I found out about Life and I don't know where I have been but NBC announced it back in MAY!!!!! Ugh...

What do you guys think? Are you feeling the same way I am?

Can somebody name any good NBC shows that are still on?

Not sure any of those were good shows. Life was OK.

I can't be too upset with NBC as they keep renewing Friday Night Lights.

Yes any network only cares about the ratings, they are in the business to make money and they do so by selling advertising and that is based on number of viewers and number of viewers in the right demographics.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They have to introduce new shows to be competitive. Once you get a 20 million per week show, it pays for all the failures 10 times over. You just have to keep taking shots until you get the next CSI, Friends, or Lost.
You can hope for that. But most people I know, inculding my husband, will not watch network TV period. They are tired of everything getting cancelled and gave up.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You can hope for that. But most people I know, inculding my husband, will not watch network TV period. They are tired of everything getting cancelled and gave up.

I have gotten to the point where I just wait for the show to end and then watch it through Netflix. That way you know the show got to run it's course and you dont have to wait to see the next episode.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:10 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
I realize it's all about the ratings, have the networks figured out how to track viewership via DVR yet? I haven't watched a show in real time in a couple of years now.

Is that tracked somehow?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I realize it's all about the ratings, have the networks figured out how to track viewership via DVR yet? I haven't watched a show in real time in a couple of years now.

Is that tracked somehow?

Yes, but if people are watching through a DVR they are fast forwarding through the commercials.

The only reason ratings are tracked is to set rates for advertisers. Advertisers dont pay attention to people watching through a DVR. They HATE DVRs because it causes people to not watch commercials.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times
What I hate is the competition. There are only a handful of shows I want to watch, why do they have to put them on in direct competition?

Last night: House vs. Heroes.

CURSE YOU NETWORK TV!!!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I don't want to side track the thread but NBC has become one of the most political stations with a pretty hard lean to the liberal left. I wonder how many people stay away from them cause they don't agree with their politics ?

Or it could be their crummy shows they now have on. When My Name is Earl got canceled they lost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV