Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,933,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Also, I never really fully understood the reason they arrested her. Something about drugs being sold at her club? Didn’t see where she was directly involved and how she was liable. Sounds like any competent lawyer could get that bounced.

She got caught with drugs that's why she was originally arrested. We just binged watch all the seasons a couple of months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 06:40 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,397,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
My main criticism is that Chase should have never casted Nancy Marchand since he knew she was sick. It was a waste of a good storyline.

Oh, but she was so good......

Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,004,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Oh, but she was so good......
Definitely but the original premise had to be scrapped.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,223,001 times
Man...I wish Jimmy G. was still alive. Maybe just maybe there would have been a movie or a reboot.

Well we do have the prequel coming up.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ints-of-newark

Old 01-13-2019, 06:36 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,063,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Man...I wish Jimmy G. was still alive. Maybe just maybe there would have been a movie or a reboot.

Well we do have the prequel coming up.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ints-of-newark
The prequel is supposed to be around the time of the 1967 race riots in Newark? Yeah, I'm sure the PC police will allow it to reflect how the Italians regarded blacks at the time. I don't look for this to be very successful, unless you like unrealistic drama.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:50 AM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The prequel is supposed to be around the time of the 1967 race riots in Newark? Yeah, I'm sure the PC police will allow it to reflect how the Italians regarded blacks at the time. I don't look for this to be very successful, unless you like unrealistic drama.
It wasn't just Italians, but yes there was racial prejudice from both Whites, and Blacks back then and racial oppression of Blacks. It would be refreshing to see them address the realities of that, but not in an overbearing fashion which would get in the way of their core story telling.

I will say this, the Sopranos NAILED the Italian American family, expressions, and got the details largely right. It was somewhat like an offshoot or the series based on "Goodfellas" in many ways.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,475,276 times
Quote:
So... in your fantasy world 'political correctness' pretends that blacks weren't the subject of discrimination from whites?

Okay...

PS - How predictable of you to insist on dragging your petty political whines into this discussion, because you do this with almost every discussion.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,004,086 times
Quote:
Why? The original was very derogatory towards black people. I imagine the prequel will be, too.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:42 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,042,127 times
A soprano prequel...I would pass. A modern day Soprano sequel would be interesting.

A modern update would be interesting with Meadow and Patrick Parisi being the leads of the show. AJ becomes a gangster wannabee with his crew, Carmela continues seeing Tony's psychiatrist.

The new boss of the DiMeo crime family being Silvio. He made it out but he is in a wheelchair and not 100% so Paulie is acting boss and Patsy Parisi is now a captain.

We also see how NY ended up and their new structure
Furio comes back
The children of old ghosts return: Salvatore Bonpensiero, Bobby Bacala
The new politics
Gentrification of NY/NJ
New families
the more organized structure of Black and Latino gangs

Old 01-13-2019, 06:53 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Why? The original was very derogatory towards black people. I imagine the prequel will be, too.
Tony was kind of the Archie Bunker of the mob. Well they all kind of had that attitude, and would call Blacks
"Moulinyans" which translates into "eggplant", and Tutsone. Tony called Meadow's half Black boyfriend those racial slurs, as did some of the other gangsters like Jackie Jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV