Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,353,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Wacko Jacko was a freak, deal with it. Skin disease, sure.
I don't know about Jackson, but the skin disease is real.

Reporter battles disorder turning him white - USATODAY.com

Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,133,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Because he is in Australia and we are NOT Americans. Or do your views on Freedom Of Speech only extend to people of any nation only being able to be free to speak as long as it is in line with some American thinking?
you are correct. We Americans tend to like to control everything that goes on in the world.........it's tiresome,even to me-an American
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
People need to get a life and NOT react to some parady that may be on TV.

As an American would watch "All in the family" and loved Archies bantering on different Races.

Also watched Englands "Benny Hill" for a good laugh. Some of the things he did were strange to me but the audience laughed so it must have been a local joke of some kind that only the English would recognize.

Nothing wrong with laughing at ourselves. It is a sign of recognition by others who really see what we do in our daily lives without realizing how funny some things are. Would be like seeing yourself in the mirror with food on your chin or smeared makeup on a woman. A laugh is a laugh and good for the soul.

I did see a part of the Black face skit...smiled a little but did not laugh at it.

As a former Canuck can understand a Canadian viewpoint and also that from those down under.

We need a little laugh in life to keep ourselves sane at times.

Steve
so true.
Funny how I never see anyone get in an uproar over..say someone dressing up like an American Indian in full gear including the tomahawk. That's just one example.
I'm Irish American and can't tell ya how many jokes are said and skits done about drunk Irishmen. Ok-I get the joke and I don't even drink............

I think this entire thing is much ado about nothing and people need to find their sense of humors.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,693,806 times
Keep in mind though, Australia has a notoriously bad racial history, they had a whites only immigration policy until 1973 and the outward hostility and contempt for Native Australians is quite palpable. I spent 3 weeks there and loved it, but they've got a looooong way to go and a lot of catching up when it comes to racism.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,875,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
you are correct. We Americans tend to like to control everything that goes on in the world.........it's tiresome,even to me-an American.
Well in all fairness it's not like most of the world doesn't look to America to be the leader of the free world at every turn and then spend a great deal of time tearing them down at every opportunity when they take on that leadership role. Having spent the last 20 years in particular watching successive Australian Prime Ministers plant their heads firmly up the backsides of successive American Presidents and the erosion of Australian culture via the media (to such an extent that we've practically become the 51st State) it can be very tiresome BUT I certainly don't lay that solely on America's doorstep. We (Australia) are equally, if not more so, responsible for that. (And it's not like the same hasn't applied to the UK for us Australians in the recent past OR that we won't be replacing our almighty American fetish with a Chinese one in the coming years.)

The thing is, what we're dealing with here, both in Australia and America, (and right around the world) is really lazy journalism which has in turn lead to sensationalism and been followed closely by hysteria from a really mentally lazy public.

None of it seems to be particularly founded on facts.

I just find it really sad that it seems like all these amazing American black performers that so many of us have grown up with are off limits in terms of imitation to anyone who is not African American and particularly given the Australian penchant for playing dress ups. Apparently people have become so unfamiliar with impersonations and comedy that they are willing to sacrifice freedom of speech AND the ability to laugh in the interests of some haywire views on political correctness and some incorrectly perceived slight. It's sad.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Keep in mind though, Australia has a notoriously bad racial history, they had a whites only immigration policy until 1973 and the outward hostility and contempt for Native Australians is quite palpable. I spent 3 weeks there and loved it, but they've got a looooong way to go and a lot of catching up when it comes to racism.
Wanna talk about America and their notoriously bad history and existing policies on homosexuality?

I was in America for 3 weeks last year and I loved it so I know a lot about it.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,571,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Wanna talk about America and their notoriously bad history and existing policies on homosexuality?

I was in America for 3 weeks last year and I loved it so I know a lot about it.
LOL~!

It was in poor taste what the folks done in Australia but it doesn't affect me here. Your quote was funny so I had to respond, Moonshadow

Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
LOL~!

It was in poor taste what the folks done in Australia but it doesn't affect me here. Your quote was funny so I had to respond, Moonshadow
aaw it wasn't meant to offend anyone skywatcher, just meant to prove that Aussie blokes can't dance but they'll never give up aspiring beyond their capabilities.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,392,666 times
This isn't so much about a tv show as it is a spoof on youtube. Thread closed.

Last edited by Beretta; 10-10-2009 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV