Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
We have 6 too. The great room and master both have newer 40 plus inch HGTV wide/flat screens. Office has a 37 inch. Basement has an old 27 inch console. Guestroom has a 20 inch and one 19 inch needs to be given away. Some of them aren't in use very often.
Oops I forgot about our new 15 inch flat screen in the kitchen that replaced our old $15, 13 inch garage sale find, we used in our old kitchen, so that makes a grand tally of 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
47 inch LCD in living room
27 inch flat screen TV in master bedroom

Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't this will sound stupid but if you ahve company shouldn't you be spending that time with them ? We have company quite often and I never even put the TV on when we do ?
I spend time with the adults who visit as well as the kids. After visiting, playing games, eating dinner, sometimes the kids want to watch a show of their choice and adults want to watch something else. Or in the morning when they wake up, they will watch cartoons. I don't just send the kids to the basement & forget about them. I check on them, get them snacks, and make sure they're enjoying themselves. If they're not, I'll turn the tv off and we'll do something else.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Two - 42" LCD in family room, older CRT in basement - not sure what size it is!!!!!

We rarely have the TV on if we have company and I hate TVs in bedrooms!

Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I spend time with the adults who visit as well as the kids. After visiting, playing games, eating dinner, sometimes the kids want to watch a show of their choice and adults want to watch something else. Or in the morning when they wake up, they will watch cartoons. I don't just send the kids to the basement & forget about them. I check on them, get them snacks, and make sure they're enjoying themselves. If they're not, I'll turn the tv off and we'll do something else.
I grew up in a very "sociable" environment in terms of being constantly going to parties, dinners , week-ends away etc... with my Dad ( he was a Diplomat) and I don't remember ever watching TV at other people's houses. I don't think he ever did either. We spoke to our hosts, played games, ate, but TV never featured on the entertainment menu.

I do realise the TV has now replaced conversation , family games and shared inter-action but I am afraid I still do find it very strange.

I just find it very odd that nowadays TV has become a part of entertaining when it is in fact so anti-social. To me it is a bit like people who are constantly answering their cell phones or playing around with their Blackberry when you are with them. I find it bizarre , and really quite rude.

When I am with other people all electronic devices are switched off and I would never dream of having the TV on when I have guests. Kids or otherwise. In fact we bought a TV cabinet especially so the TV could be hidden away and forgotten as I find it a rather dominating presence in a room.

Kids can entertain themselves without the TV. Plenty of games, books, etc...

Different strokes for different people I guess. I know , I know I sound like some old crusty dinosaur ( despite only being 41...)

Old 11-26-2009, 11:26 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Interesting question (and answers). One-person household...three Samsung flat-screen LCD TV's, all wall-mounted: 48" in my bedroom, 52" in the living room and 21" in the computer room.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
One

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
How many good working tv sets do you have in your household ? I have 6 tv sets but i mainly use 3 (5",19",25",25"-stereo,27"-stereo,32"-stereo).
1 huge broken plasma. 1 medium LCD. But we watch cable on the computer with a tvwonder card. It works like tivo.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
We have 6 too. The great room and master both have newer 40 plus inch HGTV wide/flat screens. Office has a 37 inch. Basement has an old 27 inch console. Guestroom has a 20 inch and one 19 inch needs to be given away. Some of them aren't in use very often.

Does that get like only one channel... HGTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
One, a 24" CRT set in the bedroom. I'm one of those weirdos who personally interacts with his guests when they come over for a visit. Y'know... conversation, eye contact, laughs, snacks, coffee, beer, cocktails... on the front porch, the back patio, or in the sunroom, stuff like that... rather than plopping our asses in front of a TV and vegging out.
So by saying this, you're making the assumption that those of us that have a TV in our living room don't pay attention to guests who come over? Don't talk to them; always have the TV on, etc. Wow. That'd be a MAJOR 'fail' on your part.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,305 times
Just one, even though we have a fairly big home.

A 46" LCD in the family room stored in an armoire. My wife (an American) grew up in Europe and believes that TV's are a monstrosity and should not be on "display." I have no idea if this is a "European thing" or not.

I will never put one in the kids' rooms. My wife and I also agree that the Master Bedroom should be "used" for other activities other than TV viewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV