Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 AM

726 posts, read 2,265,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Anyone remember Undressed and Spyder Games? I used to love those shows!
I loved Spyder Games. That was the only soap opera I ever got into.
I wish it lasted longer.
Undressed was ok, I guess. It had some funny moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,878,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I used to love I think it was called "Singled Out" with Jenny McCarthy! It was so trashy and funny! i vaguely remember "Undressed" It was like a soap opera sorta kinda???
A guy I knew in highschool got on that show Singled Out, couldnt believe it. It had Jenny MCCarthy as a host, then Carmen Electra.

MTV use to be pretty harmless, then it started taking itself too seriously. I liked the early Real Worlds, up to about Miami, Seattle. Then it turned into trash. The London crew was thought of as boring, but even that was better than whats been on the channel lately.

I miss how relaxed everything use to be in the 90's.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,274,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
A guy I knew in highschool got on that show Singled Out, couldnt believe it. It had Jenny MCCarthy as a host, then Carmen Electra.

MTV use to be pretty harmless, then it started taking itself too seriously. I liked the early Real Worlds, up to about Miami, Seattle. Then it turned into trash. The London crew was thought of as boring, but even that was better than whats been on the channel lately.

I miss how relaxed everything use to be in the 90's.
I miss the 90's version of MTV too! All the older Real Worlds dealt with a lot of social issues, interpersonal relationships, race, culture clash....it was just good television. Now its about how far you can push the envelope, how trashy, skeezy, and skanky can you be. I hate it. I definitely think MTV takes itself way too seriously. Remember a time when an MTV award was literally no big deal to performers and most A listers wouldn't be caught dead at the award show? Now it seems like any other award show on TV IMO.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,975,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
MTV has been unwatchable since the late 80's when they stopped
showing Beavis and Butthead and gave up music stuff for reality
and rap.
It was much to my pleasant surprise that they have actually been
able to find an hour of good Tv out ot 24. ! Hey, its a start !
I love Grounded for Life. Its harmless and well written entertainment.
What really appeals to me is how believable the characters are.
Growing up outside of the Philly area, this is really an accurate
description of many boomer families I knew. I've met each of those
characters a few times in my life
What are you thoughts, if any ?

What makes it even better is that they follow it with South Park.....
Actually, they stopped showing Beavis & Butthead in the 90's. I know because I'm a HUGE fan, and used to come home from law school at night and watch B&B before I went to bed.

I remember WAY back in the day when MTV actually used to have music videos!!! Ah ..... the good old days!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I miss the 90's version of MTV too! All the older Real Worlds dealt with a lot of social issues, interpersonal relationships, race, culture clash....it was just good television. Now its about how far you can push the envelope, how trashy, skeezy, and skanky can you be. I hate it. I definitely think MTV takes itself way too seriously. Remember a time when an MTV award was literally no big deal to performers and most A listers wouldn't be caught dead at the award show? Now it seems like any other award show on TV IMO.
The real world cast members were fun. Remember the first Road Rules? It was kit, carlos, mark, a girl that got a kermit the frog tattoo, lol, and I think one or two others that I'm forgetting. All those people back then were relatable. They weren't cartoon characters like some of the people now. They actually wanted to be on the show instead of just being famous.

Had a crush on Elka from Real World Boston

The mtv awards use to be small. They use to represent what mtv was all about. A sign of rebelling against authority, being your own person, all those good things Now it seems like any other awards show.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,274,185 times
I LOOOVED the first few seasons of Road Rules. One of my favs was with the girl from Israel and the guy from Norway ( I think that is where they are from?? ) Anyways you are soo right! These people were completely relatable. They didnt come with plastic parts, trashy clothes, and LOOK AT MEEEEEE personalities. Some of them were a bit over the top (ala Puck), but nothing compared to the characters on current RW and RR seasons.

I think everyone had a thing for Elka! She was adorable and her backstory was so sincere and interesting. My fav was always Pedro from San Francisco.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,852,153 times
I last watched MTV when the Real World house was on my block in Chicago. If nothing else I learned that there is little real about reality TV. I was amazed at how it grown. I'm sure my dish package has MTV on it, but I haven't looked since 2001. When it started it was kind of cool, but then artists focused too much on 'cool videos' rather than talent

Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I LOOOVED the first few seasons of Road Rules. One of my favs was with the girl from Israel and the guy from Norway ( I think that is where they are from?? ) Anyways you are soo right! These people were completely relatable. They didnt come with plastic parts, trashy clothes, and LOOK AT MEEEEEE personalities. Some of them were a bit over the top (ala Puck), but nothing compared to the characters on current RW and RR seasons.

I think everyone had a thing for Elka! She was adorable and her backstory was so sincere and interesting. My fav was always Pedro from San Francisco.
Elka....wow....my heart is swooning thinking about her

She was adorable. Like a Jessica Alba adorable. But she seemed nice and down to earth. None of those people up to boston/seattle were terrible. Remember Steven in Seattle slapping Irene? Even he wasnt that bad vs some of the people now. One slap on the show was a big deal. They'd talk about it all year. Now a slap happens every episode!

Puck was stupid, but even he wasnt that bad. Everyone was so mellow from 90 to 95. Remember Mike the race car driver from London? Jacinda from that show went on to be a big actress. Remember the fights in Miami, with Dan? LOL. Hahahaha. Those seemed so tame vs today.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

704 posts, read 1,867,840 times
MTV's target audience is girls age 13-18. If you are not in that group chances are you won't like it. That's perfectly ok with them; you're not who they are selling to.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Wow, did you know Sean Duffy (from Real World Boston) is running for Congress!!

Sean Duffy for Congress » Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV