U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Midland/Dallas
4,011 posts, read 3,742,776 times
Reputation: 2841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's quite possible they were just using the show as an advertisement for this auction - family member brings the item to them, a lot of discussion about it with them telling the audience/market what it's value is

Then lo and behold, it's at auction just after the episode airs (keeping in mind this was filmed a while back)

I'm sure they were hoping for the $150k - however, by throwing that number out there you can create an impression that someone got a bargain at $110k

As we know though, most of that is arbitrary ...... something is worth what someone is willing to pay and despite a good push on a national TV show and a broad, well publicized, market auction the item went for $110k ....... hard to say it's currently worth much more than that
They had another Les Paul Guitar on the show which turned out to be a set up from Cow Town Guitar there in Vegas. The customer was in fact an employee of Cow Town and the guitar belonged to Cow town and the so called appraiser was the usual guy who owns Cow Town Guitars.

History Channel’s Pawn Stars is Fake | centraltendencies.com

PS: That link contains about a half dozen different items that was staged with the show and mentions another half doze.

Last edited by SVTRay; 02-08-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 9,047,907 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I noticed this too! Rick seems like a slimeball.

Still like the show though.
Yes, and those 'experts' are getting paid by the shop, so their 'expert' opinion is usually going to be favorable to the guy who pays them. I pity the poor customers. I would get their appraisal and take the item and shop around some more.

To me, this does not compare with Antiques Roadshow, where the appraisers are not trying to buy the objects and they seem well known, as though they have national reputations to uphold. I don't think they would lie deliberately on tv, but a local guy on Pawnshop has every reason to lie because other shops would start wanting to do business with them.

We very rarely get to see how much they are selling that stuff for, that is, how much money they are really making on these deals. There is some Pickers (Junkyard Pickers?) show where they tell you how much they paid for an item, how much they think they can get for it, and how much profit they think they'll make. I like that, although they get exorbitant prices, it seems, for things I would not be caught dead with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,128 posts, read 3,848,982 times
Reputation: 5680
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, and those 'experts' are getting paid by the shop, so their 'expert' opinion is usually going to be favorable to the guy who pays them. I pity the poor customers. I would get their appraisal and take the item and shop around some more.

To me, this does not compare with Antiques Roadshow, where the appraisers are not trying to buy the objects and they seem well known, as though they have national reputations to uphold. I don't think they would lie deliberately on tv, but a local guy on Pawnshop has every reason to lie because other shops would start wanting to do business with them.

We very rarely get to see how much they are selling that stuff for, that is, how much money they are really making on these deals. There is some Pickers (Junkyard Pickers?) show where they tell you how much they paid for an item, how much they think they can get for it, and how much profit they think they'll make. I like that, although they get exorbitant prices, it seems, for things I would not be caught dead with.
I just said to my husband the other night that on Pawn Stars they never show anyone buying anything. I'd love to know what they resell the items at.

American Pickers is the 2 guys driving around. I like how they estimate what they'll ask for when reselling but they rarely show buyers also. I saw an episode where some guy bought the old carnival car ride. They bought it for a song and wanted somewhere around $3800. They didn't even restore the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 9,047,907 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I just said to my husband the other night that on Pawn Stars they never show anyone buying anything. I'd love to know what they resell the items at.

American Pickers is the 2 guys driving around. I like how they estimate what they'll ask for when reselling but they rarely show buyers also. I saw an episode where some guy bought the old carnival car ride. They bought it for a song and wanted somewhere around $3800. They didn't even restore the ride.
Yes. I wonder who buys that stuff and where and how they display it. I wish they would tell us these things. $3800? Good grief!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
16,417 posts, read 15,201,761 times
Reputation: 15501
I remember that episode. Wasn't the car extremely rare and the guy had his own amusement park or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM
 
543 posts, read 312,439 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
To me, this does not compare with Antiques Roadshow, where the appraisers are not trying to buy the objects and they seem well known,
The appraisers may not try to buy them on camera, but best believe for the ultra rare high dollar items, they are more than happy to whip out a contract or make an offer off camera. Years back a women who bought a table at a yard sale and took it to antiques roadshow. It turned out to be worth 6 figures. They did a follow up and showed the table being auctioned. It fetched $250k. I can't remember the auction house who sold it was the same one as the person who reviewed it on the show, but they are absolutely there for publicity and to possibly score a great item. One huge difference is that appraisers on AR admit that they do research and confer with other experts whereas Rick makes you believe he has this exceptional widespread knowledge of random objects and he doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 9,047,907 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
The appraisers may not try to buy them on camera, but best believe for the ultra rare high dollar items, they are more than happy to whip out a contract or make an offer off camera. Years back a women who bought a table at a yard sale and took it to antiques roadshow. It turned out to be worth 6 figures. They did a follow up and showed the table being auctioned. It fetched $250k. I can't remember the auction house who sold it was the same one as the person who reviewed it on the show, but they are absolutely there for publicity and to possibly score a great item. One huge difference is that appraisers on AR admit that they do research and confer with other experts whereas Rick makes you believe he has this exceptional widespread knowledge of random objects and he doesn't.
Thank you for that information.
I think there is a lot of wiggle room in the appraisal business, which is why, in contractual situations (perhaps buying a house and estimating damages) both sides often get their own appraisals. The gist of what I was trying to say is that I believe AntiquesRoadshow appraisers are more probably giving their honest opinions, whereas the others are paid by interested parties and that may skewer their opinions. I think the people on AR could be generating business for themselves just by appearing on the show.

They(AR) sometimes give wholesale or retail estimates. I suppose if you sold to a dealer you would get the wholesale price, but if you sold to a collector you would get the retail. Then, the is the insured estimation, which is probably the wholesale(what you could replace it for) with a built in increase for inflation and the increase in value.

I often wonder, when a person says they bought it maybe ten years ago for a named price and then they are told the current value, what the ten years ago price would have been if it were adjusted for inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top