Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed a change in the tone/production of reality TV shows.

I am thinking specifically of the competition shows like Project Runway, AI,etc.

It seems at first there was not much focus on drama or creating conflicts, it seems now that a lot of these shows try to hype up an sort of drama or snide comments. IMO it makes these shows less watchable.

Am I just getting older and cranky? Or is theses shows trending in this manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I'm in my early 30's, but I sound like I'm 70 when I say, they are all unwatachable.

-They're all the same. I never watch the Kardashians. I saw it the other day. Why don't they just call it drama tv? It seems like all the comments on these shows are the same. I.e., they're suppose to be a suprise.

Person A doing something.

Person B. "But you can't do that or say that. (Fill in the blank drama)."

Or, person A is cooking. And person b comes in. Then there's some kind of suprise. Like, "I didn't know you were like that". Why don't they just call it snide comment tv. Or, suprise tv. Because everyone is always suprised at what a lying, horrible person the other person is.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
The worse of them all are the Houswives series. To see grown women act that way is disgusting.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Has anyone else noticed a change in the tone/production of reality TV shows.

I am thinking specifically of the competition shows like Project Runway, AI,etc.

It seems at first there was not much focus on drama or creating conflicts, it seems now that a lot of these shows try to hype up an sort of drama or snide comments. IMO it makes these shows less watchable.

Am I just getting older and cranky? Or is theses shows trending in this manner?
A friend and I were just talking about this the other day - but we were noting the opposite, that So You Think You Can Dance and The Voice are both positive shows that don't ridicule the contestants, or those auditioning.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
Well, Project Runway has always had plenty of drama. Do the names Wendy Pepper and Santino mean anything to you? Drama and reality shows are like peanut butter and jelly...have been since The Real World debuted on MTV. Of course, some shows have more manufactured drama than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV