Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 02:36 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times

Advertisements

I think Crystal deserved to win, but I'm almost glad that she didn't, because she will do okay on her own and have a great career as a singer/songwriter. As #2, she will probably have more creative license and get to remain true to herself more than if she won.

Lee looks good but needs some help overcoming his nerves and his lack of self-confidence. He also needs to "pump it up" in terms of showing his personality and opening up to his fans and work on his pitchiness.

It's good for "American Idol" that he won in several ways. One is that he pursued his dream and went from an ordinary guy working in a paint shop to becoming the next "American Idol." We watched him grow and improve, and he climbed to the top. He seems like a genuinely nice and humble guy, and I hope he stays that way. I don't think that based on what I see at present, that he's going to have a huge career like, say, Chris Daughtry. But I hope I'm wrong.

Crystal and Lee were my favorites from day one, so I'm happy with the results. Also, it was one heck of a show last night, and I really enjoyed the many stars who performed. I think one of my favorite performances was that of Casey and Brett Michaels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
...I saw cutie pie dreadlock guy from last year--his name has just escaped me....
Jason Castro

Old 05-27-2010, 03:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Okay, time for those "old timers" to retire - what an embarressment!

Alice Cooper simply could not sing, neither could the Bee Gees or Hall and Oates. The ONLY good performances were Janet Jackson and Christina Agullara (though I didn't care for the song she sang at all). Even Alanis wasn't so hot. And what was up with Chicago??? LOVE them for years, seen them in concert 4 times - they sucked last night.

I enjoyed the contestants much more than any of the "pro's", except Janet, and Bret. Anybody else?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Lee bored me to tears last night.
The whole season bored me to tears. I quit caring back in February.

I think it's time to end the show.

Now that the voting base is basically made up of mostly soccer moms and their tweens, real talent like Adam and Crystal don't stand a chance at winning.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM

446 posts, read 830,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The whole season bored me to tears. I quit caring back in February.

I think it's time to end the show.

Now that the voting base is basically made up of mostly soccer moms and their tweens, real talent like Adam and Crystal don't stand a chance at winning.
Ryan said there was a 2% difference in the votes at the beginning of the show...so I guess there were more than just soccer moms and their kids voting.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Jason Castro
That's it! I loved his Halleluah that season. He put out a song and it was this teeny bop thing. I expected something more earthy or something from him. I guess it didn't do well because I never hear it on the radio. I do hear Kris Allen's song, the one about the seconds in a day, etc....don't know the name but I hear it all the time. I liked his song from last night much better....

Sorry to stray! LOL

Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Ryan said there was a 2% difference in the votes at the beginning of the show...so I guess there were more than just soccer moms and their kids voting.
That just means lots of regular voters (especially men) have fallen off while the number of moms and tweens have increased - validating my theory for why what's-his-name won last year (he was so forgettable I forgot him) and Lee won this year. So sure, the numbers may only be different by 2%, but the type of voters has completely changed over the last 9 years. Time for the show to end.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That just means lots of regular voters (especially men) have fallen off while the number of moms and tweens have increased - validating my theory for why what's-his-name won last year (he was so forgettable I forgot him) and Lee won this year. So sure, the numbers may only be different by 2%, but the type of voters has completely changed over the last 9 years. Time for the show to end.
I'm not sure how it validated your theory but I will agree a lot of kids do the majority of voting.

I read something today about something called Idol Dial or Dial Idol....this guy/kid/girl/whatever said they voted for Lee with two phones using this system, whatever it is, with a land line and a cell. At the end of the show there is a disclaimer that says they have the right to deny votes that come from automated dialers like that. I also read a while back that they can detect when the calls come from dialers like that.

My guess is a lot of kids get together and just hit send over and over and over again til their thumbs are numb. I hope they have unlimited texting for their parent's sake! LOL

Whatever the case, I really don't want the show to end. I've always enjoyed it. I like seeing people that work in paint stores or someone who was dirt poor all her life with a kid be able to have a chance to make it.

Granted, this year was not like years past, but not all the years were that outstanding. Like the year Taylor Hicks won. I quit watching that season halfway through. Also, the Jordin Sparks/Beat Box loser season. That guy was just ridiculous and he could NOT sing a note but he could make goofy noises and that so called talent got him to the finals.

All in all, I think Crystal and Lee are light years above people like that and really do have a shot if whoever handles them doesn't 'f' them up with stupid songs and such.

BTW, while I liked Kris Allen last year, I also liked Adam a lot...but I gotta say, have you listened to his song "For Your Entertainment"? It's SO freaking dirty! LOL I'm not offended by it, but it literally is talking about "the actual act" and how he's not gonna stop til ya scream! I have the song on my Ipod.

I think Idol has hit or miss years but that doesn't mean the show needs to end, necessarily. I'd like to see who takes Simon's place and I'd like to see how it all plays out next season. And, if all else fails, we'll have Simon's new show to watch in the Fall. Who knows, it might take the place of Idol.

BTW, I'm a mom. Why is it so bad that moms are watching the show and voting? Not trying to argue, really. I'm just curious. Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I don't have taste. I wouldn't have voted a beat boxer into the final, I wouldn't have voted for Taylor Hicks (even tho he's a nice guy), and I wouldn't have voted for Casey just cuz he's cute. So what are you saying? I get the tween thing.........just curious about the mom thing.

I think they intended Idol to be a "family" show in the first place and I really think that families have been watching it all along. From what you say I wonder who you think IS supposed to do the voting? Only hip 20 somethings?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how it validated your theory but I will agree a lot of kids do the majority of voting.

I read something today about something called Idol Dial or Dial Idol....this guy/kid/girl/whatever said they voted for Lee with two phones using this system, whatever it is, with a land line and a cell. At the end of the show there is a disclaimer that says they have the right to deny votes that come from automated dialers like that. I also read a while back that they can detect when the calls come from dialers like that.

My guess is a lot of kids get together and just hit send over and over and over again til their thumbs are numb. I hope they have unlimited texting for their parent's sake! LOL

Whatever the case, I really don't want the show to end. I've always enjoyed it. I like seeing people that work in paint stores or someone who was dirt poor all her life with a kid be able to have a chance to make it.

Granted, this year was not like years past, but not all the years were that outstanding. Like the year Taylor Hicks won. I quit watching that season halfway through. Also, the Jordin Sparks/Beat Box loser season. That guy was just ridiculous and he could NOT sing a note but he could make goofy noises and that so called talent got him to the finals.

All in all, I think Crystal and Lee are light years above people like that and really do have a shot if whoever handles them doesn't 'f' them up with stupid songs and such.

BTW, while I liked Kris Allen last year, I also liked Adam a lot...but I gotta say, have you listened to his song "For Your Entertainment"? It's SO freaking dirty! LOL I'm not offended by it, but it literally is talking about "the actual act" and how he's not gonna stop til ya scream! I have the song on my Ipod.

I think Idol has hit or miss years but that doesn't mean the show needs to end, necessarily. I'd like to see who takes Simon's place and I'd like to see how it all plays out next season. And, if all else fails, we'll have Simon's new show to watch in the Fall. Who knows, it might take the place of Idol.

BTW, I'm a mom. Why is it so bad that moms are watching the show and voting? Not trying to argue, really. I'm just curious. Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I don't have taste. I wouldn't have voted a beat boxer into the final, I wouldn't have voted for Taylor Hicks (even tho he's a nice guy), and I wouldn't have voted for Casey just cuz he's cute. So what are you saying? I get the tween thing.........just curious about the mom thing.

I think they intended Idol to be a "family" show in the first place and I really think that families have been watching it all along. From what you say I wonder who you think IS supposed to do the voting? Only hip 20 somethings?
Hey, I'm a "soccer mom" myself - so don't think I'm picking on the moms that vote

I'm just saying, the first 5 years of this show it WAS a family show - even my husband faithfully voted for his faves every week, lol. The show appealed to a much broader audience then.

Now, that audience has narrowd its focus, and because of that only certain types of idols are getting voted in.

CLEARLY, Adam was the more talented, the most talented, of all contestants last year. But toward the end of the season when rumors about his sexuality began circulating he received a definite cold shoulder by certain voters.

Tweens and moms now are the biggest demographic watching and they go for the "wholesome", "All American" contestants that look like they belong in a boy band . How else do you explain that 98 pound little boy (Arron?) making it into the top 10????

No, the audience DOES NOT always get it right, especially when that audience becomes less and less representative of society itself.

The show has run its course - Simon is very smart for leaving now.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
Quote:

Um...Simon has a new show?? What is it about? Another "find unknown talent" contest? So THAT's why he's leaving...what utter BS about "knowing when it's time to go."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV