Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It must have quite a grip, I don't know if it's been confirmed as fact but somewhere I read/heard a statement that more people voted for "American Idol" than for president of the US, really a pretty sad commentary on people's priorities.
nice. that's pretty interesting. now, for me, i'm wondering whether there's something out there pointing to greater degrees of some of this in some regions relative to others in, say, 2007. i might like to avoid those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 10:33 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I was a closet addict, I must admit. If you watched the show from the beginning, the guy actually seems pretty sincere. I know I know, I'm a total dork and Twinkle is probably wishing she could take back all the rep points she ever gave me b'c I like the show but the thing is, once I start watching these darn shows, I can't stop! Yes, it's totally ridiculous. I mean, basically it's like your "boyfriend" is cheating on your knowingly and then he pops the big question! WTH?! Make for great drama though. This is only the 2nd Bachelor show I've ever seen and let me tell you, drama drama drama!
Nah, I like you too much to take back those rep points and be an "Indian Giver"!!! So, just to show you I still love you and care about you, I'm gonna give you MORE rep points!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Nah, I like you too much to take back those rep points and be an "Indian Giver"!!! So, just to show you I still love you and care about you, I'm gonna give you MORE rep points!!!
Okay, never mind. It won't let me. It says I have to spread the love, so I'll have to hit you next time!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb agree-

Quote:
I think the key is that these "reality" shows are cheap to produce and sponsors will pay for them.
You are probably right. You know 20 million (in the whole US) doesnt seem like a alot of people- thats what I heard watch American Idol (last week).

I dont think they care what the public wants either- if they did I would not have the same movies every week on HBO- I complained to the FCC about Comcast ( They have horrible customer service and they charge exorbitant monthly charges) Cable and satellite are like a monopoly in some areas where you only get 2 stations- they know they have you ....well, you catch my drift!

I think there was a public advocate (Steve Adubato-NJ) who said that the public needs to take charge of the airwaves again- as for me I only watch TCM (Turner classics) and still have to pay Direct tv their almost 200.00 per month. Its ridiculous.

sunny

Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Lightbulb lol-

Quote:
Comercial TV exists to make $$$$$$$, H L Mencken probably summed it up best when he said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people".
remember the movie 'Quiz Show' when Martin Scorcese is playing the Geritol executive/salesman- and laughing at how much money he makes from the stupid American public-

I dont think everyone buys into it- but people who dont read or have other interests do seem to think network tv is acceptable entertainment. I dont think the net has as much of a negative effect, other than it does isolate people if they spend all their time on it.

sunny

Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
You are probably right. You know 20 million (in the whole US) doesnt seem like a alot of people- thats what I heard watch American Idol (last week).

I dont think they care what the public wants either- if they did I would not have the same movies every week on HBO- I complained to the FCC about Comcast ( They have horrible customer service and they charge exorbitant monthly charges) Cable and satellite are like a monopoly in some areas where you only get 2 stations- they know they have you ....well, you catch my drift!

I think there was a public advocate (Steve Adubato-NJ) who said that the public needs to take charge of the airwaves again- as for me I only watch TCM (Turner classics) and still have to pay Direct tv their almost 200.00 per month. Its ridiculous.

sunny
honestly, i don't care quite as much about what's on TV. i'm just a little shocked at how much like TV so many people seem to be these days around here...and wondering if it's getting like that everywhere, and whether you think people might actually be more like - or hoping somehow to be more like - the crowd on "batchelor" than i ever might have feared.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,120 times
A good friend of mine was in the middle of the controversy in Sugar Land over that show. I took a gander at the ABC Bachelor forum, and well....they don't seem to have very high standards. JMHO.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,088 times
I took a class in television advertising in college. And it was said the goal of television was to get all of to think alike. To eliminate regional tastes and cultures, so a company can sell the their product to the most people. You don't want people thinking about it. Questioning it. Make being dumb more popular than being intelligent. It's not how well you do something, but how you "look" doing it. And to create a "just do it, everyone does it" kind of mentality. A national mentality of what's good or bad, pretty or ugly, wrong or right. And with 500 channels, I thought there would be more America in American television. Real America not the Hollywood version.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budong View Post
I took a class in television advertising in college. And it was said the goal of television was to get all of to think alike. To eliminate regional tastes and cultures, so a company can sell the their product to the most people. You don't want people thinking about it. Questioning it. Make being dumb more popular than being intelligent. It's not how well you do something, but how you "look" doing it. And to create a "just do it, everyone does it" kind of mentality. A national mentality of what's good or bad, pretty or ugly, wrong or right. And with 500 channels, I thought there would be more America in American television. Real America not the Hollywood version.
almost seems to be frighteningly on track, doesn't it?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
honestly, i don't care quite as much about what's on TV. i'm just a little shocked at how much like TV so many people seem to be these days around here...and wondering if it's getting like that everywhere, and whether you think people might actually be more like - or hoping somehow to be more like - the crowd on "batchelor" than i ever might have feared.

where are you located? I dont watch that bachelor show. You do see 10 year olds dressed like Paris Hilton though- not a good thing. Very shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV