Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times

Advertisements

Networks and production companies are doing what the automakers did over the last 20 years; cheapening the content, using unskilled labor and throwing enough "stuff" against the wall because they know some of it will stick. The car makers started "offshoring" for some manufacturing of parts-assembing some engines and transmissions in South America, "Mexicoing" some final assembly, telling the component manufacturers in the US (stampers and formers) that they had to "meet the China price" to keep the business.

TV Nets are doing the same; Since writers want to get paid for producing scripts, eliminate or reduce the number of writers as you go to "unscripted" (not really) "reality" shows. Anyone who actually thinks there's no writing on these is as dumb as the "scab" labor appearing in them.

Tired of paying "scale" to actors? You bet, some of these talented folks get a LOT of money per episode. Of course the bosses realize that many people may actually watch "Law And Order" because they enjoy "Lenny Brisco", or "NCIS" because they like Mark Harmon. Who cares? By cutting out a few $200,000 per episode characters the bottom line improves.

Instead of union actors let's just post a "cattle call" for "actors". There are enough spray tanned, silicone and botox enhanced bimbettes, and their male counterparts floating around LA and New York that we know 1,000 will show up for casting call. Promise the chance of a big payoff and they'll work for minimum wage, or NOTHING because they are a "contestant" in a competition.

Keep them waiting long enough without real food, make sure lots of high sugar pastries and GALLONS OF "ENERGY" DRINKS are around to give all of them a sugar and caffeine high, throw in some made up controversy and watch the fireworks. Pretty soon you've got some low life guy punching out his low-life "girlfriend" and millions of low-life viewers are causing the money to pour in.

Folks, that is a business plan for success. And the idiots that are watching are being duped as badly as the suckers that appear onscreen.

Welcome to the new millenium of TV. SUCKERS.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Of course the bosses realize that many people may actually watch "Law And Order" because they enjoy "Lenny Brisco",

Um...he's been off a good long time, since the actor who portrayed him passed away....

or "NCIS" because they like Mark Harmon.

Wile Mark Harmon is excellent in the role of Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, there rest of the cast isn't exactly riding on his coattails.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Yeah, I know he's dead, just using him as an example of bringing in a known quantity, which does draw some fans.

I understand your point about Harmon, but let's face it, I doubt anyone checked out "NCIS" in the early go because they thought; "hey, X was so good in Y, so I'm going to watch this show!" Well, maybe it happened in David McCallum's case. But the typical demographic for CBS shows would NOT have seen Abbie, Tony, or Tim in the shows they had parts in.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Yeah, how I miss the high-quality stuff that obtained before TV went "cheap." There will never be another "Family Matters" or "Melrose Place."

Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
"Reality TV" is garbage. Its gotten to the point where I watch very little TV anymore, and most of that is sports. I can't stand another show where people grovel for the affection of some stranger like in the "Bachelor," shows where people swap wives, stupid talent shows like "American Idol" or endless shows about people with 25 kids, as in pretty much every other show on TLC (which should be renamed "The Jerry Springer Network.")

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, how I miss the high-quality stuff that obtained before TV went "cheap." There will never be another "Family Matters" or "Melrose Place."
Those shows look like award winners next to "Wife Swap," "Jon and Kate plus 8," "The Bachelor," 'Survivor," etc etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Yeah, I know he's dead, just using him as an example of bringing in a known quantity, which does draw some fans.

I understand your point about Harmon, but let's face it, I doubt anyone checked out "NCIS" in the early go because they thought; "hey, X was so good in Y, so I'm going to watch this show!" Well, maybe it happened in David McCallum's case. But the typical demographic for CBS shows would NOT have seen Abbie, Tony, or Tim in the shows they had parts in.
Don't underestimate the number of UNCLE fans who started watching NCIS because of McCallum. He still had a huge fan base. And Michael W brought a lot of Dark Angel fans with him -- not to mention the built-in JAG audience.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Going cheap is why they put Leno on during prime time, before the evening news. They can avoid paying the cost to create FIVE different shows by just letting Leno talk FIVE nights each week. Saves NBC untold millions every year.

Not only that, but I'm sure all those movie stars, musicians, performers and authors who appear on Leno (and all such shows) are actually there because they PAY to be on and hawk their wares, i.e., it's all "product placement" crap.

Then there's "reality" TV. Good grief, what a waste. "Real" Housewives of BumFluggy, Bachelor this, Bachelorette that, Girls Next Door, eating bugs and worms, glorified karaoke (American Idol), Survivor ad nauseam, and on it goes. Can't stand it. Then there's all the commercials, half of which are flat out insulting.

H. L. Mencken once said "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people." Boy was he right.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-05-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Going cheap is why they put Leno on during prime time, before the evening news. They can avoid paying the cost to create FIVE different shows by just letting Leno talk FIVE nights each week. Saves NBC untold millions every year.
But look at the ratings of the shows they moved so they could program Leno -- they're tanking. Let's face it -- L&O SVU is not a 9pm show.

And the other nets are reaping the benefits.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Leno isn't a 9pm show either. I mean, it's the same schtik he was doing before, only it's before the news rather than after. But somehow it just isn't the same in that time slot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV