Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,557,780 times

Advertisements

The emphasis on religion was a total turn off to me - creepy. If I had a son that was killed (like that one woman had) and some trainee (or anyone) started spouting that pablum at me... Makes me wonder if they screen employees for that - everyone seemed so churchy. Would have liked to see if he was able to connect with someone who wasn't all up in it like he is

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I almost wonder if the show has a religious agenda. The Hooters guy was all nicey-nicey and they featured Stone Mountain which has an overt Christian agenda. Just seems like an awfully high percentage of religiousness. I hope it's just the show and not representative of typical corporate culture today.

Mawi, I thought the same as you about that 7 minute "cleaning" and agree with you that, overall, the company didn't come off looking too great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,027,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Last night's show with the CEO of Frontier was the least interesting to me of all the previous episodes. And I think it's because Mr. Bedford was talking about the 10% pay cuts the employees took to keep the airline afloat after the mergers, and yet he was talking about that while enjoying the mega-big McMansion of a house. That left a bad taste in my mouth that didn't dissipate for the rest of the hour.
I never have a problem with anyone discussing or crediting God with their success. I do the same. However, I guess the verse 'They all gave so they all had' escaped him. If I were going to represent God in any way, I would do so by following His principles in deed before opening my mouth. I would NOT live like a king while my employees were forced to take a pay cut. I would sell my own stuff and split up the money between them to the best of my ability.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,189,962 times
Lets say his house was worth $3,000,000. (he may have bought it before he was a CEO BTW), if the mob gets their way and we take his house and divide the proceeds, each of the 10,000 employees would receive $300. Wow. Maybe if we exclude those evil executives we could bump it up to $310 a person.

Now to figure out where he and his family can live.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,166,696 times
Does anyone know if Frontier Airlines executives also took a 10% pay cut as their front-line employees did?
If so, it's proportionately the same and no one has room to gripe. Seems like some knee-jerk reactions based on incomplete information.
Last night's CEO, Brian Bedford of Frontier Airlines was not even with the company when it made it's decision to cut employees's salaries. Sean Menke was CEO when that decision was made in 2008, a move that was endorsed by all unions involved and credited with keeping the company alive.
Cutting salaries any time is tough. But if you've ever been faced with either making that decision, or accepting that decision, most consider it better to still keep working than to dig in your heels and not have a company to work for. This decision was part of a court-approved bankruptcy plan.

At least this boss did something many have yet to do during this economic downturn...create a plan and timeline to recoup the cut wages.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Does anyone know if Frontier Airlines executives also took a 10% pay cut as their front-line employees did?
If so, it's proportionately the same and no one has room to gripe. Seems like some knee-jerk reactions based on incomplete information.
Last night's CEO, Brian Bedford of Frontier Airlines was not even with the company when it made it's decision to cut employees's salaries. Sean Menke was CEO when that decision was made in 2008, a move that was endorsed by all unions involved and credited with keeping the company alive.
Cutting salaries any time is tough. But if you've ever been faced with either making that decision, or accepting that decision, most consider it better to still keep working than to dig in your heels and not have a company to work for. This decision was part of a court-approved bankruptcy plan.

At least this boss did something many have yet to do during this economic downturn...create a plan and timeline to recoup the cut wages.
What are you confusing us with all of those facts for? The mob has spoken, he has more than me and he needs to be punished for that!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,557,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

Sean Menke was CEO when that decision was made in 2008, a move that was endorsed by all unions involved and credited with keeping the company alive...most consider it better to still keep working than to dig in your heels and not have a company to work for.

1. I wondered the same about the pay cut - that would make some difference.
2. Agreed - it seems optimal for people to agree to across the board cuts so everyone keeps their job instead of having lay offs. Less income but consistent employment is preferable to unemployment.
3. That was one way the company did look good - I hope they follow through (and do a better job disinfecting the bathrooms too!)

Thanks for the research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
What are you confusing us with all of those facts for? The mob has spoken, he has more than me and he needs to be punished for that!
Your post seems inflammatory and not helpful. The two posts you're referencing didn't strike me as coming from a mob mentality or about punishing the executive. I agree that selling his house won't solve the company's problems. Taking a lower salary, as skinem suggested could help, though.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
The emphasis on religion was a total turn off to me - creepy. If I had a son that was killed (like that one woman had) and some trainee (or anyone) started spouting that pablum at me... Makes me wonder if they screen employees for that - everyone seemed so churchy. Would have liked to see if he was able to connect with someone who wasn't all up in it like he is

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I almost wonder if the show has a religious agenda. The Hooters guy was all nicey-nicey and they featured Stone Mountain which has an overt Christian agenda. Just seems like an awfully high percentage of religiousness. I hope it's just the show and not representative of typical corporate culture today.

Mawi, I thought the same as you about that 7 minute "cleaning" and agree with you that, overall, the company didn't come off looking too great.
Creepy to me as well. I wonder what his opinion of her would be if she was an athiest.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Your post seems inflammatory and not helpful. The two posts you're referencing didn't strike me as coming from a mob mentality or about punishing the executive. I agree that selling his house won't solve the company's problems. Taking a lower salary, as skinem suggested could help, though.
I am just being a smart a**, I get tired of the typical "blame the ceo" crowd.

So what do we cut is $450,000 salary down to? Cut it in half? Now everyone gets $22.50 year, I guess problem solved.

I guess we could take his stock options also, all 207,000 of them. That would give everyone $180! That is assuming he doesn't have to pay for any of the options and he doesn't owe any tax on the sale of the shares, plus it assumes that if he sold all the shares the price of the stock would not tank.

Good plan!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 33,397,843 times
It's unfortunate when people have to take a pay cut.. what I was wondering was if Frontier employees were making more then the company that bought them out? That was what I got from the show was that they were brought down to the same level as the rest of the airline. If this is the case; while it stinks; they are lucky to have jobs because reading about Frontier on wiki the company folded; who knows if salaries were partially to blame?

My hub works for a company that's also taken a pay cut due to bankruptcy; we're not sure if CEO's took a pay cut; but most working class folks did. Now they are trying to dig in our pockets again; so far about 3 times this year. While we hate it; we know he's fortunate to still have a job.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 6,513,350 times
Worst epi of all IMO. Godly man in a Big House. God-lee man in a Big House. (think Tommy Boy)

Big House? Big Mansion. Size of a small town. So how'my gonna pay fe dis?? Answer is Buy another Airline and cut all employee's pay by 10%. How nice....

Cut my check by 10% and I'm going to have to scramble to make ends meet. I wish one of those employees would have really told him off. I would bet without cameras it would have happened. Try some REAL under cover w/o that safety net.. Might end up with some real wounds to pray over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV