Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,811,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree. I watched part of Conan last night. I really like him and I feel bad that NBC is treating him like this. Jay's show didn't work, so he should be the one to go. He had his time on the Tonight Show. It is over as was long planned.
That's not going to happen, because the Tonight Show's ratings have been in the toilet with Conan. Its more than just Leno's show at 10 not doing well.

Maybe Conan only did well on the late late show or whatever because almost anyone watching at that time was probably drunk or stoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,209,873 times
Looks like they are going to give conan $33M to go away an additional $12M to split amongst his 200 staffers - Conan has pledged that he will provide additional financial support to them as well

Friday will be his last show and he will not be able to broadcast for another network until September

Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Conan comes across as "less scripted" than Leno. Back when I watched late night stuff, I would very often turn off the TV once the guests came out. Sorry, but I don't care for the celebrities plugging their new TV show, movie, album, etc. In my opinion, Conan can take droll interviews and make them funny. The problem with the show is mostly generational. There was a Conan show in the first month where I quickly realized that he is going to have a serious generational problem. He was doing the monologue and they did something with the scrim/backdrop behind him that made it look like a Super Mario game (hard to describe, but if you saw the episode you would know what I'm talking about). I thought it was hilarious, but if a viewer was born pre-1970, chances are high they have no idea what that was. Leno appeals to the baby boomers. And what the baby boomers want is what we are going to get. Sorry, 20 and 30-somethings. "Our humor" just won't cut it.

I disagree. The baby boomers are getting quite old and are heading off into retirement. They're not nearly as attractive to advertisers since they're not raising families, still mid-career, dating etc. What are you going to sell them vs. the generations before? They're already loyal to their brands and aren't open to new items. So based on that, Leno's time is running very low. His schtick hasn't changed in years. I tried to hang in their thinking he would do something fresh on his new show but I got the same ol' same old.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
I disagree. The baby boomers are getting quite old and are heading off into retirement. They're not nearly as attractive to advertisers since they're not raising families, still mid-career, dating etc. What are you going to sell them vs. the generations before? They're already loyal to their brands and aren't open to new items. So based on that, Leno's time is running very low. His schtick hasn't changed in years. I tried to hang in their thinking he would do something fresh on his new show but I got the same ol' same old.

so then why was he number 1 for 12 years in a row?

face it, Conan is stoner, college kid humor and is more suited to the later time slot, the Tonight Show audience is more nuanced shall we say.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM

29,732 posts, read 34,340,471 times
Quote:
so then why was he number 1 for 12 years in a row?
That's actually a good question, because I don't know a single person who watches Leno. Last time I saw a few minutes of his schtick (which was pretty recently) he was still doing Monica Lewinsky jokes.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's actually a good question, because I don't know a single person who watches Leno. Last time I saw a few minutes of his schtick (which was pretty recently) he was still doing Monica Lewinsky jokes.
mustn't know too many people if he's been number 1 for 12 years straight.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,250,639 times
Conan can't take some of his signature bits with him: Triumph or the Bear. Although, Letterman got away with some of his bits during his dispute with one of the networks. Was the "giant head" of Conan behind the desk the Mario Brothers character? I loved the giant head. I don't think it's necessarily a generation gap, but the type of humor. I find Conan really funny, but most of the comedies (movies) that appeal to the younger generation not so much
I find Conan's humor almost more sophisticated than Leno. He'll throw in a word sometimes and unless you're paying attention you miss it. IMHO
NBC Confirms Deal; Conan O'Brien Taunts With Bugatti Stunt - ABC News

Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,336,013 times
well, in the end, the only one that's really hurting is NBC. lord did they f*cked this up. all this to try to save a buck by getting rid of the 10pm prime time hour and now they're going to have to buy out Conan (good negotiating on his part, esp since he can return to TV fairly quickly). Leno is supposed to return in March, but I don't see how he can recover from this. I see some of his ratings going down, IMO. my bet: Conan will be back on the air by Sept and he'll end up keeping a good chunk of the popular support he's gained. Leno is a dinosaur and it boggles my mind why NBC stuck w/ him. he' probably going to retire in 3-5 years (I really don't see him lasting as long as Letterman at all) and when he does, the network is going to have a tougher time replacing him after this chaos-comedians, the majority of whom are on Conan's side, are going to remember this. plus, how many well known comedians are out there that has the same type of humor as Leno? The Tonight Show is going to die if the NBC keeps trying to appeal to an aging audience and doesn't try to appeal to a younger one. they're just going back to the same old crap by bringing back Leno. even if they hadn't stuck w/ Conan, they should have gone w/ someone newer, fresher that people under 50 can enjoy. unless NBC regains its status as a #1 network and can come up w/ better programming, they are very screwed

sad Conan will have to leave behind Triumph, Conando, and the Bear, among others, but the awesome thing about Conan is that I have no doubt he can come up w/ more, better ideas. plus, they aren't w/ him now, so it'll ease the blow. major kudos to Mr. O'Brien for sticking to his guns, no matter the cost. millions of people stood by his decision and I hope it works out for him

Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
. Leno is a dinosaur and it boggles my mind why NBC stuck w/ him. he' probably going to retire in 3-5 years (I really don't see him lasting as long as Letterman at all)

The Tonight Show is going to die if the NBC keeps trying to appeal to an aging audience and doesn't try to appeal to a younger one.

probably because he was number 1 for 12 straight years, man some people have reading comprehension problems. Letterman doesn't play here as he's been behind Leno for 12 straight years, he's seen by many as old grumpy and bitter. which he is. So how does Letterman play with the youngsters?

they just tried that, how'd that work out with Coco? what you're not getting is that TTS's audience is different than 12:30am stoner time.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,125,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
probably because he was number 1 for 12 straight years, man some people have reading comprehension problems. Letterman doesn't play here as he's been behind Leno for 12 straight years, he's seen by many as old grumpy and bitter. which he is. So how does Letterman play with the youngsters?

they just tried that, how'd that work out with Coco? what you're not getting is that TTS's audience is different than 12:30am stoner time.

Have to agree with that, and I think it's sad that Conan could not wait the extra 5+ years until Jay was ready to retire before hosting TTS. I'm sure alot of people switched to Dave because they were mad at Conan for bumping off Jay. Jay will bounce back, the formula worked before, it will work again. Conan can make a return this fall, not too sure if the pie is big enough for 3 late night hosts to survive in the same time slot, should be interesting. I would think Dave would weaken before Jay does, it's going to be a crap shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV