Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times

Advertisements

I know this is bound to be a controversial subject but what say you?

Michelle Duggar, for those of you living in a hole somewhere, is pregnant w/her 18th child-due January of 2009. She has been pregnant every year for the past 20 years, her oldest child being-duh-20 years old and a newlywed himself. The children are all healthy, cute, and rosy and every last one of them has a name that starts w/ 'J'. God forbid (no pun intended) that Jim Bob or Michelle break out another letter of the alphabet in their mission to overpopulate rural Arkansas. Speaking of rural Arkansas, when the family first made their appearance on TLC, in the special called '14 children and Pregnant Again', they lived in a small 3 br 2 ba house and the workings of that house was fascinating to say the least. They spent 800 a week on groceries at the time, shopping in bulk at ALdi, and watching the kids line up to use the bathroom was jaw-dropping. So polite, my Lord! Now, the family has 'single handedly' built a 7000 sq foot monster of a house and there is no longer a wait for one of the 8 bathrooms in the place. It doesnt seem quite fair that they are 'debt free' in their situation or that Michelle can continue to have as many kids as she likes since the progressive age of her older children provides constant in house baby sitting. But I digress.

The kids are all 'home taught' by Michelle and Jim Bob, who in the new series have FINALLY come forward w/ the information that they own commercial property and that Jim Bob has had a run in the senate. Therefore, they can 'make ends meet'. Any of you who have SEEN that house know they're doing a little better than merely 'making ends meet' but again, that's neither here nor there. The family are of the 'Fundamentalist' sort, which is physically evident by the fact that the boys are all clean cut and wear identical polos and khaki pants when going on 'family outings'. The girls have extremely long hair and wear a uniform of 'jumper' style dresses so as to hide their bodies and focus on 'their countenance'. They don't watch much tv, their internet acitivites are closely monitored, and they have family bible study every day in addition to their other school courses (which are also bible related). It's all painfully orderly and the bile inevitably rises as I watch them sing Amazing Grace in the car and practice their (mandatory) violin lessons with zeal, each scrubbed face intent on doing their darndest in the 'family orchestra'.

Yet I watch. I find myself completely fascinated by their lives and Michelle's seemingly endless fertility. Will all of these children follow the example of their exhuberantly proficient parents and stay on the 'straight and narrow', especially where their faith is concerned? Will they all walk in the footsteps of brother Josh, the oldest, who has recently married and voiced his avid desire to be 'like mom and dad' and raise as many children as God allows? Is his wife clinically insane? Do you think the episode will be allowed to air when obviously 'blossoming' daughter Janna discovers how hot she is and decides to wear high heels? Or when son Josiah suddenly realizes that his talent for the violin is actually hiding a deep desire to rock out some electric guitar and join a Metal band?

Last night, another daughter got her driver's liscense. She learned to drive on the family property but I wonder what happens if she skips out w/ the SUV one night and decides to have a joy ride. Ooo, and then while she's out, a really cute guy shows interest in her celebrity status and offers her a beer...or three. Yeah, and then they end the night w/ a wild midnight viewing of the new Will Smith movie, which turns out to awaken in her a desire for acting...or black men.

Now wouldnt THAT make for some great TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
I know this is bound to be a controversial subject but what say you?

Michelle Duggar, for those of you living in a hole somewhere, is pregnant w/her 18th child-due January of 2009. She has been pregnant every year for the past 20 years, her oldest child being-duh-20 years old and a newlywed himself. The children are all healthy, cute, and rosy and every last one of them has a name that starts w/ 'J'. God forbid (no pun intended) that Jim Bob or Michelle break out another letter of the alphabet in their mission to overpopulate rural Arkansas. Speaking of rural Arkansas, when the family first made their appearance on TLC, in the special called '14 children and Pregnant Again', they lived in a small 3 br 2 ba house and the workings of that house was fascinating to say the least. They spent 800 a week on groceries at the time, shopping in bulk at ALdi, and watching the kids line up to use the bathroom was jaw-dropping. So polite, my Lord! Now, the family has 'single handedly' built a 7000 sq foot monster of a house and there is no longer a wait for one of the 8 bathrooms in the place. It doesnt seem quite fair that they are 'debt free' in their situation or that Michelle can continue to have as many kids as she likes since the progressive age of her older children provides constant in house baby sitting. But I digress.

The kids are all 'home taught' by Michelle and Jim Bob, who in the new series have FINALLY come forward w/ the information that they own commercial property and that Jim Bob has had a run in the senate. Therefore, they can 'make ends meet'. Any of you who have SEEN that house know they're doing a little better than merely 'making ends meet' but again, that's neither here nor there. The family are of the 'Fundamentalist' sort, which is physically evident by the fact that the boys are all clean cut and wear identical polos and khaki pants when going on 'family outings'. The girls have extremely long hair and wear a uniform of 'jumper' style dresses so as to hide their bodies and focus on 'their countenance'. They don't watch much tv, their internet acitivites are closely monitored, and they have family bible study every day in addition to their other school courses (which are also bible related). It's all painfully orderly and the bile inevitably rises as I watch them sing Amazing Grace in the car and practice their (mandatory) violin lessons with zeal, each scrubbed face intent on doing their darndest in the 'family orchestra'.

Yet I watch. I find myself completely fascinated by their lives and Michelle's seemingly endless fertility. Will all of these children follow the example of their exhuberantly proficient parents and stay on the 'straight and narrow', especially where their faith is concerned? Will they all walk in the footsteps of brother Josh, the oldest, who has recently married and voiced his avid desire to be 'like mom and dad' and raise as many children as God allows? Is his wife clinically insane? Do you think the episode will be allowed to air when obviously 'blossoming' daughter Janna discovers how hot she is and decides to wear high heels? Or when son Josiah suddenly realizes that his talent for the violin is actually hiding a deep desire to rock out some electric guitar and join a Metal band?

Last night, another daughter got her driver's liscense. She learned to drive on the family property but I wonder what happens if she skips out w/ the SUV one night and decides to have a joy ride. Ooo, and then while she's out, a really cute guy shows interest in her celebrity status and offers her a beer...or three. Yeah, and then they end the night w/ a wild midnight viewing of the new Will Smith movie, which turns out to awaken in her a desire for acting...or black men.

Now wouldnt THAT make for some great TV?

Okay, I'll admit I am smiling bigtime reading your post!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,274 times
I find this family interesting as well, especially when you look at the statistics for homosexuality and that 1-3% of people are born homosexual, or 1 in every 10 people.

So that means at least one of her kids is gay... and counting!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
I find this family interesting as well, especially when you look at the statistics for homosexuality and that 1-3% of people are born homosexual, or 1 in every 10 people.

So that means at least one of her kids is gay... and counting!

There are no gay people in Arkansas. Didnt you know that? They have all been chased over into Memphis. Haha...that was a joke my mom's gay neighbor told her...so therefore I'm allowed to tell it...right?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:16 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
There are no gay people in Arkansas. Didnt you know that? They have all been chased over into Memphis. Haha...that was a joke my mom's gay neighbor told her...so therefore I'm allowed to tell it...right?
Good one!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
ugh, my uterus and vagina both just clench in pain at the thought of popping out 18 kids! of course my brain is telling those organs to stop whining and think of all the money and free stuff I can get for having a litter of children (especially if I had 4+ at once!)

at this point, it doesn't matter what they do for a living. the publicity earns them enough money that they (or rather he, the hubby) could just quit the job and live off of the fame.

Last edited by eevee; 12-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: correction 18!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM

750 posts, read 1,434,678 times
The phrase "That's not a vagina, it's a clown car!" seems applicable in this case.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Perhaps you refer to this?

http://www.womensspace.org/phpBB2/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/vagina.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,795 times
Mere mention of the Duggars makes my skin crawl at the sheer irresponsibility of bringing a few dozen children into this already overpopulated world. It's selfishness at its finest.

That said,

Quote:
Yeah, and then they end the night w/ a wild midnight viewing of the new Will Smith movie, which turns out to awaken in her a desire for acting...or black men.
This cracks me up to no end. One can only hope one of these children will end up being a freewheeling, crazy hippie type! 50% of my highly conservative mother's children did (me) so maybe 9 of hers will!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
LOL - you guys are hysterical. I watch this too - I think subconsciously just to wonder what would happen if someone strayed? One of the girls has been - gasp! - wearing eyeliner. She's probably on the road to ruin as we speak. Clenched uterus and vagina - hahaha - never quite thought of that but um yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV