Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

sittin here quietly prayin that BJ's are [religiously] ok.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile I am so...

I am so over reality TV! I used to love the sitcoms that were funny - I still remember the Step by Step show where they were folding towels - my kids and I still laugh about that one - and how about I Love Lucy? My kids loved that show. In fact, my daughter said to me once - I wish I had grown up when you did b/c the shows were so much better.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Talking Unreal TV

I liked reality TV when it was "new" ...8 years ago ...but enough is enough ....I haven't watched Survivor since maybe Survivor 5 ...what are they up to now ? ...Survivor 30 ? ....atleast do the next one in Alaska (then maybe I'll watch) ...I still watch "The Amazing Race" ...IMO it hasn't jumped the shark yet ...very close but no jumping yet ....I admit to watching "Big Brother" ...when they had at least a few (sort of) normal people that I could relate to ...these days I can't get into it ....only reason it's lasted so long Julie Chen's husband runs the network .....I watched my fair share over the last 8 (long) years .... anyone remember "Joe Millionaire" ....."The Mole" ....also there was a "boot camp" one way back in 2000 that was good

Old 05-10-2008, 01:34 PM

70 posts, read 206,382 times
I have an idea. Why don't people turn off reality TV or just TV in general and pick up a book? It's frightening to think how ignorant people have become in this country because they no longer read.

Reality TV is cheaper for the networks to produce than normal programming because they don't have to pay actors and actresses. If folks think reality TV isn't produced and just happens, it proves the networks can fool people into thinking anything.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:38 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I have to admit I watch Survivor and Big Brother still. The only Survivor I really enjoyed was the one that had Rupert on it though. I guess I watch to see how low people will go to "win". What I really can't stand is game shows being on in primetime! Put them on in the mornings where they have been for decades! I like my L&O, CSI's, etc. but I also enjoy good documentaries and "real" shows, not "reality" shows. I remember when a Jacques Cousteau special would come on the network, the whole family gathered to watch and be amazed. The Croc Hunter had the same effect. Sadly they are both gone and tv really is getting to be a mind numbing wasteland.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Sadly there are some shows I am addicted too....

I love America's Next Top Model and The Hills!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
I'm down to maybe four hours of tv, reality or otherwise, every week. I'll admit to Survivor, Hell's Kitchen and Amazing Race but even Survivor's a stretch for my patience anymore. The only other must not miss for me is Boston Legal.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
I'm down to maybe four hours of tv, reality or otherwise, every week. I'll admit to Survivor, Hell's Kitchen and Amazing Race but even Survivor's a stretch for my patience anymore. The only other must not miss for me is Boston Legal.
I thought it was just ME watching too much of VH1, but all the channels are trying to get into this New Genre. Its like an infection. When it first started, I saw an interview with a big-time Producer, a high-powered mover and shaker; they mentioned that "we dont have to pay the $one million dollar an episode to egotistical actors/actress divas, we just get the "average Joe" to come and do it for a good time in a foreign location, a nice Loft, gift bags, free drinks, pool, etc. Just a small percentage of those big salaried actors and the audiences seem to like the spontanity of it, the 'realistic' reactions and family fights. Who was the first? the Bachelor Show? but now there are just TOO many. Almost a flood of them, all the time.

Last edited by HeleenieWeenie; 05-12-2008 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: spellcheck & clarification

Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I have an idea. Why don't people turn off reality TV or just TV in general and pick up a book? It's frightening to think how ignorant people have become in this country because they no longer read.

Reality TV is cheaper for the networks to produce than normal programming because they don't have to pay actors and actresses. If folks think reality TV isn't produced and just happens, it proves the networks can fool people into thinking anything.
I'm not ignorant because I find the TIME TO DO BOTH. Reading does not take a back seat to my TV watching. I'm retired, so I got nothing but time.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I liked reality TV when it was "new" ...8 years ago ...but enough is enough ....I haven't watched Survivor since maybe Survivor 5 ...what are they up to now ? ...Survivor 30 ? ....atleast do the next one in Alaska (then maybe I'll watch) ...I still watch "The Amazing Race" ...IMO it hasn't jumped the shark yet ...very close but no jumping yet ....I admit to watching "Big Brother" ...when they had at least a few (sort of) normal people that I could relate to ...these days I can't get into it ....only reason it's lasted so long Julie Chen's husband runs the network .....I watched my fair share over the last 8 (long) years .... anyone remember "Joe Millionaire" ....."The Mole" ....also there was a "boot camp" one way back in 2000 that was good
Yeah, I also started wayyy back in 2000 or so; I only watched the FIRST season of Survivor, with the naked gay guy? Rich, was the winner? Also was the ' Joe Millionaire'(construction guy) the first? I stopped when that one was over, felt like they were deceitful for getting a broke-guy. Then I got addicted to The Osbournes on VH1, then 30-minute Meals w/Rachel Ray, Family Jewels w/Gene Simmons is good, those kids of his seem really down to earth and well-adjusted. I like the Girls Next Door, ANTM, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV