U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM

2,212 posts, read 2,816,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
That's a broad brush you're painting with there. hmmm... maybe it was simply the people you met. I lived there for 18 years and never found them to be any more obnoxious than any other group of people, including Americans.
Perhaps...but maybe because I was from Arizona. For some reason, Germans think that American Cowboys are just a caricature. That no one really wears cowboy hats unless they are trying to be funny. It just got on my nerves after a while, with their "sh&tkicker dance". It was kind of funny the first time, not so much the 10th time.

Yes, I know that there are tons of obnoxious people out there...I saw plenty of Americans walking around Europe being totally rude.

I always made an effort to be respectful of people and cultures and made huge strides to communicate in their language. I traveled all over Germany to nearly every corner and the people I actually met and spoke with for any length of time started in with the cowboy thing almost immediately, whether they were from Berlin, Koln, Munich or Frankfurt. Nobody else did that...not the French, the Italians, the British, anyone other than the Germans.

Glad you had a nice time there. I did too but seeing the clip for next week just brought back some memories that struck a nerve. Hopefully the cowboys let it roll of their backs.

Last edited by the3Ds; 03-02-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Something about the cowboys is really chapping the lesbians' hide from what I gather. I can't believe they (the lesbians) demanded to know all these details about how they (the cowboys) are playing the race. It was a freakin' interrogation!
The lesbians are the epitome of the "we're better than you" crowd. The ones that politically are called "the liberal elite." They see the cowboys as stupid rednecks and have made an assumption that they don't know a thing because they wear cowboy hats and belt buckles. America is responding to the cowboys because they are going against the preconceived notions we have of "rodeo cowboys from Oklahoma traveling around the great big world". They are smart and funny and very likeable.

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Their accents make an Eastener like me automatically think they are stupid. Sorry, but that's the truth. They are showing that they are FAR from stupid.
One of the smartest men I've ever met was from Georgia. He was an astrophysicist who went to Georgia Tech for his bachelor's degree and then to MIT for his master's. He actually was a rocket scientist. He had an accent that he would "turn on" when he wanted people to think he was dumb and underestimate him. He always had an accent, of course, but it would get slower and more pronounced and anyone who knew him understood he was going in for the kill.

I don't think the cowboys really think this way but it is the truth that for whatever reason, people assume Southerners are idiots.

Those theories apply to a lot of groups...non Bostonians think that accent is similar to running nails down a chalkboard and non-Californians still think of the "Valley Girl" speech patterns.

Unread 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM

8,093 posts, read 5,633,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The state of Oklahoma has to be going nuts over this.
Yes, we Oklahomans enjoy how the rural part of our culture can be portrayed in a positive and friendly light. Life in the country means you sometimes have to improvise to get things to work and so the cowboys will surely put that part of their lifestyle to good work for them in this race. But I bet they'll miss not having baling wire when they need it.

Unread 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

4,211 posts, read 6,019,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, we Oklahomans enjoy how the rural part of our culture can be portrayed in a positive and friendly light. Life in the country means you sometimes have to improvise to get things to work and so the cowboys will surely put that part of their lifestyle to good work for them in this race. But I bet they'll miss not having baling wire when they need it.
For certain. But they'll improvise something, if their track record thus far is any guide. I have known many of their kind from the Kansas Flint Hills, which is where my own family comes from, and that breed just makes things work.

If they had been driving your rival's Conestoga wagon during the '85 Orange Bowl, it wouldn't have gotten stuck in front of my alma mater's bench, and my dad and I wouldn't have nearly died laughing watching it on national TV when I was home for the holidays from school. Being from Stillwater, I'm betting you found that just as amusing as we did.

Unread 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM

3,103 posts, read 1,944,879 times
I just watched all three episodes online. I love the cowboys. They are great. I love how the one put the hat on the gnome in the car.

I also like Jeff and Jordan. It's because I liked Jeff on Big Brother. It was great when he said they should never reproduce, and Jordan looked as though he were serious. It was great.

Unread 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM

While we all have teams that we'll end up rooting for, my favorite thing about TAR is that it only takes one bad day, one wrong choice in flights, one bad decision on which road block to take, or one incorrect reading (or not reading it at all) of the clue and even a seemingly unbeatable team is toast.

I honestly watch the show with my legs tucked up under me and my stomach in a knot because one hour goes by so fast. It's funny because there are some shows that are dragged on WAY longer than they need to be and TAR is 1 hour and they're done. I think Phil has the best job in the world.

Unread 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM

99 posts, read 197,190 times
Totally agree! I would love to have Phil's job. And frankly I think he is a great host or whatever it is he is.

I also like the cowboys as they do not seem mean but they have come up with some smart ways of playing. Such as pulling to the side of the road when everyone was following them and such. They both seem pretty smart and actually listen to each other and don't fight.

I have always wondered why everyone follows the lead car as though they know where they are going. I think I would want to make sure I had the correct directions just to make sure.

Unread 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,072,896 times
Default Drinking a beer, eating Sauerkraut. What's with these lame challenges on Amazing Race?

Kicking a soccer ball?? This last go round of Amazing Race, the challenges have gotten so tame. What happened to repelling, water stuff, caves, DANGER??

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 03-07-2010 at 07:13 PM..

Unread 03-07-2010, 07:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 8,519,178 times
OK, so what dufus thought it would be a good idea for Jordan and Caite to work together on a challenge?

Ummmmmmm, never mind -- I think I answered my own question .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV