Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,803 times

Advertisements

The 10th season starts tonight!

I started watching last season and enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to this season.

It starts at 8 PM ET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
The 10th season starts tonight!

I started watching last season and enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to this season.

It starts at 8 PM ET.
Okay, I've never watched this show before but I watched it this week and all I have to say is wow, could ya dredge up any whinier sob story excuses for being fat than this show can? I mean they should rename it "Tragic Events That Gave Us Excuses to Eat Ourselves Into Obesity".

And what's with the 'pay it forward' baloney? How are you paying it forward if you immediately have an elimination that is designed to be excruciatingly painful and humiliating for the contestants, and then pat the loser on the head and send them home to eat themselves to death?

Is this how this show is supposed to go? Because if it is, then man...I don't think I'll watch because public humiliation just isn't my cup of tea!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,971 times
I didn't understand the "pay it forward" claim either.

But, I think you missed the point of the show. The eliminated contestants are not eliminated from the competition entirely. There are two groups: 1. Those who get to compete on the ranch, and 2. Those who have to compete at home.

The "winner" of each group gets a different dollar prize amount at the end.

The "Home" contestants are given exercise, and diet, advice. Their families and friends are encouraged to be their motivators. Whereas Bob and Jillian are the motivators for the "Ranch" contestants.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

This shouldn't be a spoiler because they hinted to it at the previews for next week, but it seems that some people didn't see it so I'll spoiler it.
Spoiler

They are also bringing back some of the eliminated contests at some point in the season.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Okay, I've never watched this show before but I watched it this week and all I have to say is wow, could ya dredge up any whinier sob story excuses for being fat than this show can? I mean they should rename it "Tragic Events That Gave Us Excuses to Eat Ourselves Into Obesity".

And what's with the 'pay it forward' baloney? How are you paying it forward if you immediately have an elimination that is designed to be excruciatingly painful and humiliating for the contestants, and then pat the loser on the head and send them home to eat themselves to death?

Is this how this show is supposed to go? Because if it is, then man...I don't think I'll watch because public humiliation just isn't my cup of tea!
The first couple of seasons were quite good, featuring lots of exercising and some dietary information. No crying, no whining, no sob stories. The show is totally unwatchable now, just a bunch of crying. I lasted 10 minutes last night.

I was curious so I just looked it up: the ratings for this season are down a whopping 24% as compared to the year before. They need to go back to the show's roots: hardcore exercising without the drama!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The first couple of seasons were quite good, featuring lots of exercising and some dietary information. No crying, no whining, no sob stories. The show is totally unwatchable now, just a bunch of crying. I lasted 10 minutes last night.

I was curious so I just looked it up: the ratings for this season are down a whopping 24% as compared to the year before. They need to go back to the show's roots: hardcore exercising without the drama!
See, now that would be interesting, I agree. What peeves me about so many reality shows lately is that everyone has some sort of tragic life story that they cry on cue over, and try to milk the sympathy of the public. It's disgusting.

If it went back to how you describe it -- overweight people competing at learning how to eat and exercise in order to be healthy --- then that would be more interesting than all the whiners that were on the other night. I don't recall any one of them standing up and saying "I'm fat because I chose to eat McLandwhale food, and too much of it!"

Nope, they all stood up there and blamed someone or something else for their weight.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Well generally when you're obese, the overeating is just a symptom of an underlying issue.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM

218 posts, read 720,913 times
A friend of mine audition for the show and the process is a joke and a waste of an entire day. It does not matter how fat you are, or how unhealty you are but is all about the story and who has the best sob, tear jerker story tat they can sell on TV!!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Well generally when you're obese, the overeating is just a symptom of an underlying issue.
Ding Ding Ding - We have a winner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
A friend of mine audition for the show and the process is a joke and a waste of an entire day. It does not matter how fat you are, or how unhealty you are but is all about the story and who has the best sob, tear jerker story tat they can sell on TV!!!!
Look - it's prime time television. These contestants are characters on a TV show so there needs to be something to sell. Not a big deal.

If they were simply looking to fill the slots with unhealthy obese bodies, they would only have to take a first come first served basis.

Even casting professionals need to earn a paycheck.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
I really like this show and it's motivated me to exercise more (just last night I watched it while I walked/ran on the treadmill!), but I worry a lot about the unreal expectations the show sets for normal people. I mean, no one--NO ONE--is going to lose 41 pounds in 2 weeks at home w/o a personal trainer/nazi yelling at them for 12 hours straight. I'm afraid people will see this show, become motivated, work really hard, lose *only* 5 pounds, and QUIT because it's not 41 pounds.

5 pounds is good! It's a great start!

Just last week, I talked to a coworker about weight loss. She's on that crock HCG diet. She told me, "Yeah, 3-5 pounds a week is normal!", when in reality, .5 to 2 pounds a week is normal and safe. Biggest Loser and the contestants consider this a failure. It's not a failure at ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV