U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,293 posts, read 10,319,925 times
Reputation: 10730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned "America's Got Talent." That is really the only one reality talent show I enjoy. Of course, some of the acts are bombs, but there are some really good ones too. I'm like Pittston and Tookey, I enjoy the documentary type reality shows (usually).
I honestly never heard of AMERICA'S GOT TALENT. I say for a "real reality" show......Let's bring back ....THE GONG SHOW....now that's entertainment "American Style".... .
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Medina Co., TX
2,606 posts, read 1,764,737 times
Reputation: 1978
I don't even go there...none of them. I hear about these disgusting reality show "celebrities" from cable...people must have really pathetic lives to have to watch them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,293 posts, read 10,319,925 times
Reputation: 10730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I don't even go there...none of them. I hear about these disgusting reality show "celebrities" from cable...people must have really pathetic lives to have to watch them.
DITTO.... .
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Portland OR
12,866 posts, read 8,327,117 times
Reputation: 11540
I like America's got Talent's Terry Vader is awesome and still going strong. He struggled for years before he got a real break on the show and a talent like his deserves it. Britain's got Talent gave us Paul Potts and Susan Boyle. I don't think either of them would have gotten the opportunity the show gave them because they are not beautiful 20 somethings.

My favorite is Survivor. I watch American Idol on and off mostly off. If I like a contestant I'll follow his or her progress. Talent shows are not new. Is anyone old enough to remember "The Original Amateur Hour." Or "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts?" They were popular shows in their day and gave some talented people breaks they otherwise would not have had

Society has survived Depressions, Recessions, earthquakes, tornadoes, wars and other disasters. I think we will survive reality shows.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,526 posts, read 7,430,397 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I really find these shows to be "airheaded" and offensive; NO OFFENSE if you like them. Different strokes for different folks. But to ME; these shows are poor excuses for intelligent entertainment and are mainly "HATEFESTS"...think Simon Cowell!!! Also these shows are relatively "cheap" to produce and "rake" in MILLIONS!!!
I don't like any of them. The RT genre is what gives TV a bad name. TV is a fantastic medium for learning but as with anything, there are always bad apples.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,293 posts, read 10,319,925 times
Reputation: 10730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't like any of them. The RT genre is what gives TV a bad name. TV is a fantastic medium for learning but as with anything, there are always bad apples.
And a few bad apples in the barrel.....spoils the bunch...LOL... .
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Portland OR
12,866 posts, read 8,327,117 times
Reputation: 11540
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I really find these shows to be "airheaded" and offensive; NO OFFENSE if you like them. Different strokes for different folks. But to ME; these shows are poor excuses for intelligent entertainment and are mainly "HATEFESTS"...think Simon Cowell!!! Also these shows are relatively "cheap" to produce and "rake" in MILLIONS!!!

Simon Cowell isn't quite the villain you make him out to be. If you ever had any experience in auditioning for either an acting or musical role you would know that the judgement is brutal. It makes old Simon look like Pollyanna.

The competition in the entertainment is fierce and those who try out have to have a very thick skin. The people who audition on AI may get raked over the coals by Simon but the other judges are often a lot more kind. This doesn't happen in the real world of auditioning where those doing the hiring are harsh and uncompromising.

I have only watched a couple of seasons of this show but it was enough to determine that Simon is only reflecting what happens in auditions in real life. If the talent can't take that, they shouldn't even think of being in the entertainment business.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,293 posts, read 10,319,925 times
Reputation: 10730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Simon Cowell isn't quite the villain you make him out to be. If you ever had any experience in auditioning for either an acting or musical role you would know that the judgement is brutal. It makes old Simon look like Pollyanna.

The competition in the entertainment is fierce and those who try out have to have a very thick skin. The people who audition on AI may get raked over the coals by Simon but the other judges are often a lot more kind. This doesn't happen in the real world of auditioning where those doing the hiring are harsh and uncompromising.

I have only watched a couple of seasons of this show but it was enough to determine that Simon is only reflecting what happens in auditions in real life. If the talent can't take that, they shouldn't even think of being in the entertainment business.
I've never watched the show...but I am basing my opinion on his "less than stellar reputation"; which portrays him as "harsh"...whether this is justified or not is of little consequence to me anyway...I'm only the "messenger" of what I have read/heard about him. Maybe he is a "saint"???? As far as some people getting a shot at stardom through these outlets, well that is fine by me; it's just "not my cup of tea".
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:17 AM
 
2,038 posts, read 2,129,755 times
Reputation: 3066
American Idol = Weapon of Mass Distraction

Pick up a book. Read the phone book. Whatever.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,293 posts, read 10,319,925 times
Reputation: 10730
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
american idol = weapon of mass distraction

pick up a book. Read the phone book. Whatever.
You're FUNNY........LOL. :d...... :-)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top